Getting my ducks in a row as well as I can before I start offering classes. Just wondering what those of you that have done this recommend I have on hand. Already working on a trauma kit, spare eye and ear protection, hats. Anything else you guys can think of or recommend?

They will be "licensed to carry" classes for Texas residents. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I tend to plan for bad things. Just my nature. Just wondering what others here think might be good to have at hand.

A healthy respect for the stupidity of the average human and a good soft vest, hell maybe even plate carrier/plate.

Even better, being ready/able to tell some dumbass to take their ass elsewhere and that their deposit is non-refundable.

• Like 6

I was going to recommend a vest or plates too.

Explain it's use and tell your students why you wear it.

Civilians learning guns, makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Watch for pairs or groups of middle-eastern men.

Gotta love the times we live in.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

I have a laser light target system with cartridges for 9mm,380,40,45 and 38 sp.

This gives the students a chance to understand sight and trigger control with their new guns before getting to the range.

Makes a more enjoyable experience when they can hit the target right of the bat.

With that mystery out of the way safety is embraced faster.

Good luck and have fun

Edited by jerry52
  • Like 2

I ran CHL classes in TX for a year..

Invest in good target frames (preferably ones without top center pieces as students will shoot the top cross rail out quick)..

I used 2x4 frames but the top rails would be shot out in 2-4 classes if the targets weren't hung properly..

You'll need SANDBAGS for the target stands as the wind in TX is brutal (at least where I was). Unless your doing indoors.

Get a Zee metal standard med kit for 25 people, then get some Israel bandages, Quikclok gauze, and Quikclot pkgs.. thats all you need..

Invest in scratch resistant 'glasses' for students to use (as they will forget to bring or not know they need them).

Also keep 4-5 pairs of cheap HF ear muffs on hand as well.

Remind them NO small children/babies at the range.. (yes I've had it happen, bad parenting x10000)  :(

Don't let husbands/boyfriends interrupt when your training 'their' woman on the range.

I actually tell them in the classroom part NOT to listen to the BF/Husbands as they are more than likely NOT certified instructors..  :)

Hope that helps..

• Like 4

Using an existing range or one you have to set up?

Makes a difference what your expenses will be and what you will need.

Most instructors prefer to use an existing range that also has classroom space available for obvious reasons.

Indoors of course keeps weather from being an issue and such.

Right off the bat a few "blue" guns are always good for safe demonstrations.

Insurance depends on the answer to the above question.

Go talk to a good instructor that runs classes in the area (sure you already did this but revisiting it may prove useful), some advice at this early stage can go a long way as they are more familiar with local laws and the mechanics of the process.

BTW doing this put me off the idea when I found out how blasted expensive all the non-teaching overhead could be.YMMV hopefully.

Huge ass box of foamies.

Welder.

Life and biz insurance, bond etc. CYA

CPR/medic training and a kit aimed towards sprains, cuts, bullets, burns, eyes. 

Tools for students shitty guns and ammo. Lube and cleaners.

Standard loaners if their shit breaks.

Pens paper forms check off accomplishment. Each student gets a pen and pad.

Sharpies for targets, stapler that does not suck. Targets by the roll.

Hand sanitizer, wet wipes.

Students can be thinkers, seers, feelers, do'ers. Materials for instruction may vary.

Good luck! Should be a rewarding job! 

• Like 1

I use good targets, a decent vest with plates. Sturdy target frames and tons of foamies, and cheap durable eye protection.  We also use a range flag to inform the shooters as well as others that the range is hot.  We also use the word Red Light as the key phrase to freeze in place.  At one point the term cease fire was used but some folks when they hear the fire part of cease fire just loose they're minds and fire.  If you have someone who is trained in CPR/first aid have them be your range safety officer.  They don't handle any firearms, they just watch for safety issues.  If you can afford it, get an AED.  Just in case someone shows up with a bad ticker.  Learn your safety brief verbatim and stress is often.  Not only is a vest an excellent idea but get a safety vest in a very noticeable and obnoxious color.  Something that they can NOT miss..  After that, just have fun.  Its worth it watching a shooter with no confidence become the exact opposite.  Oh, and take up meditation. Your going to need it when training certain types.

• Like 1

For the B27 targets I'm thinking of going with green. I remember many years ago blowing a perfect score because I couldn't distinguish the black target from the black sights on the handgun I was using.  

For the B27 targets I'm thinking of going with green. I remember many years ago blowing a perfect score because I couldn't distinguish the black target from the black sights on the handgun I was using.  

UN blue might be nice.

• Like 2

Teaching experience on the grade school level.  The use of simple words, over and over again.  Patience.  A good rehearsed lesson plan. Perhaps two (2) female associates to help teach the hands on stuff to ladies ... and some men.  At least a EMT 1 or A or whatever Texas equal level of emergency medical training.  The aforementioned trauma kit and the knowledge on how to use it.  Shit happens.  A nice donated high school type class room for the class room lecture stuff.  The ability or "nack" to not raise your voice in exasperation.  Good luck.   Oh ... fresh certificates with copies on hand.  Good communication skills.  Are you sure you want to do this ... again?

All the other stuff already said.  Bring more eye protection glasses and ear protectors than you think you will need.  Stuff to make video presentations. Lots of instant board markers.  Especially red.  Maybe some barf bags for the weak gutted watching the emergency room gunshot videos. The understanding some just do not need to ever hold a gun ever again ever.  Some will do OK.  Maybe one out of a hundred will thrive and become shooters.  The ability to physck out the idiots and wanna bees who have no business in your class.  Watch the older ladies closely ... some of them have a lifetime of idiot-icy.  Never turn your back for one second on some.

Old coot.  Ex FF, Paramedic, Ex paramedic trainer.  Ex RN ER guy.  Yikes!  Now just Ex and an Old Coot. :)

• Like 1

Had a dozer build up the backstop yesterday. Looking at getting some trash bins for brass, trash, and extra targets. Also need a light plastic table to move between required distances.

Is this your property?

• 2 weeks later...

Had first class this past saturday. It went great. Used a big flat screen and a power point to conduct class. Had several props as well for people to use. All in all, a great experience. Everyone passed. Only difficulty was with one couple that I had to separate because the husband was freaking out the wife. So I had him qualify first, then I sent him away during her qualification.