Tromix S17 8": extractor / ejection failures

Prior to my last two outings she has functioned 99.9% running Federal 7 1/2 to 8 shot.  She has always run 100% with Remington Sluggers!  My cheapest and most problematic ammo is Rio blue hull 7 1/2 shot.  I've also been using the Tac-47 auto plug for sometime with proper ejection per a prior conversation with Tony.

The majority of the failures are stovepipes and mostly on the last (5th) round using factory mags.  Last night I alternated between two of these mags with same results.  I had fired about 80 rounds since the Tac-47 had been cleaned.  I clean the S17 after each outing.

I followed the proper tuning to run the Rio but the failures resurfaced so I turned the screw 1/2 turn (thinking it had now bottomed out) and I started to get spent shells that were not extracted (Federal as well).  I assumed this was too much gas so I put the screw back to the prior setting.  

Loaded up a mag of Sluggers and she ran 100%.  I will not purchase any more Rio once depleted.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

edit: after cleaning the Tac-47 I realized that there were a few more turns on the screw.

Edited by kwesi

Mike; I mean that I followed their video where Keith explains how to slowly turn the plug until you stop experiencing ejection/function issues ( with the cheapest ammo that you shoot ).  In retrospect I'm wondering if I just needed another 1/2 - 1 full turn.  I had more room than that to allow more gas.  I will take her back to the range and retune.  I'm real curious about the 5th round failures.  I suppose both of the factory mag springs may be weakening.  I have several 10 round Surefire's that I can test with.  Tac-47 guys told me that Rio was known to have issues with the powder used and the thickness of the hulls.

Edited by kwesi

Mike; I mean that I followed their video where Keith explains how to slowly turn the plug until you stop experiencing ejection/function issues ( with the cheapest ammo that you shoot ).  In retrospect I'm wondering if I just needed another 1/2 - 1 full turn.  I had more room than that to allow more gas.  I will take her back to the range and retune.  I'm real curious about the 5th round failures.  I suppose both of the factory mag springs may be weakening.  I have several 190 round Surefire's that I can test with.  Tac-47 guys told me that Rio was known to have issues with the powder used and the thickness of the hulls.

We don't use autoplugs, but I'm happy to hear you're working with it to get the kinks out. I'm sure Tony can advise you regarding ammo recommendations, and gas settings.

Good luck!

Mike

Thanks Mike: This had been tuned and working great for quite some time.  I disassemble and clean the Tac-47 every 300 rounds or so then of course re-tune the next outing.  Tony and I had communicated in the past about what the proper ejection range should be between birdshot and slugs when using the auto plug.  My gun was functioning properly within that range.

I'm going to assume that I did not have enough gas for this cheap Rio.  I will report back after one more attempt.

Update: It was my bad.  It took several full turns to adjust the auto plug to cycle Rio consistently.  Fortunately I've got less than 50 rounds left of this Rio.  I'll stick with Federal red hull as my low end from now on.