Ammo for Catamount Fury and Reliability Opinions

Just bought a Catamount Fury and have yet to fire it. I know that it's a lead shot only gun, and I also know it's not good with low brass.

For those forum members who have first hand experience with the Catamount shotguns (both the fury 1 and/or the fury II), what are your opinions towards what brands/types you had the best reliability with? Also, what brands should I avoid?

Once I get a few suggestions from this I plan on testing a few different types of ammo and post the reliability results and patterns in a future topic.

All opinions are welcome, so please share your thoughts.

OK, that's good to know since it's an affordable option. As far as buckshot, are there any brands/types that I should steer clear of?

You also mentioned that the Fury 1 was having conversion issues. What were the issues and we're they resolved?

OK, that's good to know since it's an affordable option. As far as buckshot, are there any brands/types that I should steer clear of?

You also mentioned that the Fury 1 was having conversion issues. What were the issues and we're they resolved?

Same as all the other guns, it's about muzzle energy levels. Find out the weakest bracket your gun will run, then only buy ammo in that bracket or hotter. Some brands tend to be weaker than stated. i.e. win Universal, Centurion, and the various cheap italian roll crimped brands like rio, nobel, some S&B. With those, if you are a bracket or two hotter than what ought to run, you are probably good. Put this chart in your glove box and take it inside when you go to the gun stores.... Your life will be a lot simpler.

post-17871-0-34286000-1459115645_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm not sure if they have changed anything about the Catamount internally, but if they have not you should avoid very strong loads or you may have issues. I broke one in about an hour firing a wide range of loads from bulk ammo to 4 dram loads. It locked up with the 4 dram loads at the end of the test session, but it was fairly easy to repair. The one I tested ran fine with 3 dram bulk ammo, Federal Multi-purpose and Winchester Universal.

• Like 1

I have the F1.  I've done a first pass smoothing the interior.  It generally does not like #8 shot, but that was to determine "the basement" of energy levels.

As for buckshot/slugs, it will shoot the Royal Star 'Low Recoil' slugs : 1200 fps and 1-1/8 ounce weight.  So that energy (mv^2) seems a good working math problem.  If you can get faster and heavier, it should work, but as a few have said, they are more likely to be tempermental until you smooth them out, and to varying degrees.

12g_Slug_Low_Recoil_Rio_Royal_s__33162.1

AS far as buckshot goes, I'd consider the same math for it.  Being a gas gun, ther ifl ehas much less free recoil than the equivalent 870.

Here is a near-current pic of the project.

12030500_1297923986889381_55879623303276

No conversion issues from my perspective.  Parts and labor was about the same as the price of the gun and two 5x magazines.  Pic above.

Edited by InTTruder
  • Like 1

I have the F1.  I've done a first pass smoothing the interior.  It generally does not like #8 shot, but that was to determine "the basement" of energy levels.

As for buckshot/slugs, it will shoot the Royal Star 'Low Recoil' slugs : 1200 fps and 1-1/8 ounce weight.  So that energy (mv^2) seems a good working math problem.  If you can get faster and heavier, it should work, but as a few have said, they are more likely to be tempermental until you smooth them out, and to varying degrees.

It should shoot #8 shot of the same energy or higher equally well. The piston and  carrier know nothing of the size of lead granules going down the bore. All they feel is pressure/time. The same pressure impulse necessary to move 1.125 oz of big pellets to 1200 FPS is required to move 1.125 oz of small pellets, or a single 1.125 oz slug. For that matter, the powder and primer have the same interaction with all of the above too, because in between is a smooth plastic gas seal. 

This is why you need to get that mythological type of folklore about "high brass" and shot size out of your head. It gets irrelevancies in the way of the pertinent facts. 

• Like 3

All of this is very useful info, especially the dram chart. Took a screenshot of the chart, so it'll always be with me when I'm buying some ammo.

For $400, it's worth the risk. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, but I believe the gun just has alot of haters. There are alot of gun snobs out there. I know the Saiga 12 is a bad ass shotgun with a cult following (myself included), but my dad is still rocking a Norinco MAK90 that he's had for 20yrs. I also have a friend with the IAC Hawk that shoots just as well as my 870.

Even if the Catamount is Chinese, I believe Carolina Shooters Supply creating aftermarket parts for the Fury is a vote of confidence. They're not gonna waste their time, money, or resources into a junk platform. It may have its hiccups with low brass, but so does the Saiga.

I'm also curious if anyone has seen a stock Catamount that was flawless right out of the box.

All of this is very useful info, especially the dram chart. Took a screenshot of the chart, so it'll always be with me when I'm buying some ammo.

For $400, it's worth the risk. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, but I believe the gun just has alot of haters. There are alot of gun snobs out there. I know the Saiga 12 is a bad ass shotgun with a cult following (myself included), but my dad is still rocking a Norinco MAK90 that he's had for 20yrs. I also have a friend with the IAC Hawk that shoots just as well as my 870.

Even if the Catamount is Chinese, I believe Carolina Shooters Supply creating aftermarket parts for the Fury is a vote of confidence. They're not gonna waste their time, money, or resources into a junk platform. It may have its hiccups with low brass, but so does the Saiga.

I'm also curious if anyone has seen a stock Catamount that was flawless right out of the box.

The one I was firing ran impressively on 3 dram loads until it failed and locked up with the stronger loads.

• Like 1

It should shoot #8 shot of the same energy or higher equally well. The piston and  carrier know nothing of the size of lead granules going down the bore. All they feel is pressure/time. The same pressure impulse necessary to move 1.125 oz of big pellets to 1200 FPS is required to move 1.125 oz of small pellets, or a single 1.125 oz slug. For that matter, the powder and primer have the same interaction with all of the above too, because in between is a smooth plastic gas seal. 

This is why you need to get that mythological type of folklore about "high brass" and shot size out of your head. It gets irrelevancies in the way of the pertinent facts. 

You are absolutely right, and thanks for the coaching.  Low-recoil is not the same as low-brass (although myths abound!).  I will be more precise in my future ammunition commentary.  And the dram chart really is the clue for all of us who were clueless.  Thanks- I have printed this out!.

We should rename you "ObiWan".

Edited by InTTruder
  • Like 1