Them overgrown rats are making their way up north now…. messin with our deer.

I thought you southern folk with your fancy helicopters were keeping these beasts in check?

Us northern folks gonna have to show you how to pull genocide on a vermin species. 14_6_12.gif

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/31/deer-hunters-face-unwanted-competition-as-feral-hog-explosion-thins-herds.html

Edited by SHOTGUN MESSIAH

Problem down south here is everything is fenced and marked "No trespassing". If we had the ability to simply shoot on sight no matter where, we would still be overrun, but not this badly. Hell, I see places all around my area that have signs reading something to the effect of, "State owned land, no trespassing, etc. etc.", and I know for a damn fact that they are breeding grounds. Second issue being, say you shoot 20 in a night, what do you do with them? Leave them where they lie? Then you have PETA makin' a fuss about the "poor piggies".

That is some good info, but the one thing I would like to know that wasn't discussed  is……how do they taste?

Depends..rutting boars over 300 lbs..my dog won't eat it...40 lb whole roasters and up tp 150 sows cook up well. Depends on what that are eating.

That is some good info, but the one thing I would like to know that wasn't discussed  is……how do they taste?

Depends..rutting boars over 300 lbs..my dog won't eat it...40 lb whole roasters and up tp 150 sows cook up well. Depends on what that are eating.

Yeah the small ones are pretty good, cook thoroughly, the piglets do real well in a pit. The larger ones I would just bury. 

Them overgrown rats are making their way up north now…. messin with our deer.

I thought you southern folk with your fancy helicopters were keeping these beasts in check?

Us northern folks gonna have to show you how to pull genocide on a vermin species. 14_6_12.gif

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/31/deer-hunters-face-unwanted-competition-as-feral-hog-explosion-thins-herds.html

Yeah right dream on yankee. If the cold wont stop em you aint but eventually yall will have one of "those" winters and the problem will ease then build again.

Oh BTW rats wish they were hogs. These aint buffalo

Lol, they're already in Peru,NY. Probably into Canada.

Been a small population here for about 4 years. DEC is supposedly trying to keep it quiet so locals don't scatter them trying to hunt them (don't know if this happens or not). I don't think they migrated up this far and have heard rumors that some asshat let them go...

Lol, they're already in Peru,NY. Probably into Canada.

Been a small population here for about 4 years. DEC is supposedly trying to keep it quiet so locals don't scatter them trying to hunt them (don't know if this happens or not). I don't think they migrated up this far and have heard rumors that some asshat let them go...

They are still protected here in this backward-assed State. too.

Can't use bait or dogs in Colorado, otherwise it's open season. They've spread into the Southeast part of the state. REM 405gr softpoint at about 1500 fps out of guide gun or SOCOM ought to work OK. 

• Like 1

Large (200+ pounds) hogs are EXCELLENT to eat. My kids like them better than deer. If you can catch them live, the processors pay a hefty premium for them. 

The trick is in the processing. A quick kill, getting them gutted and on ice within the first 30-45 minutes is critical. You then soak them in ice and apple cider vinegar for 3-4 days. Put them on a smoker for 15-20 hours and get the meet to 204 degrees and it will just melt in your mouth. Almost no gamey taste at all. However, a badly processed hog is NASTY. My brother got a piglet (about 30 pounds) and thought he could skip the soaking step. It was so bad even the dogs refused to eat it (they would sniff it and just walk away).

The issue with hogs is that they are incredibly smart. In my area of Texas, you can't hunt hogs if you don't have night vision. They have learned from constant pressure and have adapted. As soon as they even see a red or green laser, they are gone (they absolutely knows what it means). I put out hog lights (trying every color combination) and they absolutely refused to come to the feeder even after several months of non-hunting to try and get them used to it. If I shoot one at a feeder, they won't be back to that feeder for a few days. Even when they do, they send out the piglets first. After a few minutes the sows will show up and the boars will stay off to the side hidden. Only after a few days when the boars know it is perfectly safe will they come in and force the rest away from the food. If I shoot two within a week, they will avoid that feeder for a month or more. They definitely remember.     

• Like 1

Large (200+ pounds) hogs are EXCELLENT to eat. My kids like them better than deer. If you can catch them live, the processors pay a hefty premium for them. 

The trick is in the processing. A quick kill, getting them gutted and on ice within the first 30-45 minutes is critical. You then soak them in ice and apple cider vinegar for 3-4 days. Put them on a smoker for 15-20 hours and get the meet to 204 degrees and it will just melt in your mouth. Almost no gamey taste at all. However, a badly processed hog is NASTY. My brother got a piglet (about 30 pounds) and thought he could skip the soaking step. It was so bad even the dogs refused to eat it (they would sniff it and just walk away).

The issue with hogs is that they are incredibly smart. In my area of Texas, you can't hunt hogs if you don't have night vision. They have learned from constant pressure and have adapted. As soon as they even see a red or green laser, they are gone (they absolutely knows what it means). I put out hog lights (trying every color combination) and they absolutely refused to come to the feeder even after several months of non-hunting to try and get them used to it. If I shoot one at a feeder, they won't be back to that feeder for a few days. Even when they do, they send out the piglets first. After a few minutes the sows will show up and the boars will stay off to the side hidden. Only after a few days when the boars know it is perfectly safe will they come in and force the rest away from the food. If I shoot two within a week, they will avoid that feeder for a month or more. They definitely remember.     

Good points on prep a lot depends on what they have been eating. Will remember this when I get the chance.

They are absolutely the smartest thing in the woods, adapt quickly, and learn well. Actually they are the perfect game if you think about it as a challenge.

Night vision is essential but you can run across them in daylight, mostly by accident when deer hunting down here thus the trend for carrying a sidearm and the boltie when hunting.

Something most people dont understand about them is the degree of intelligence rivals and surpasses wolves. 

Mean bastards 

Hello

Up in east Texas those obnoxious SOB's haven't figured out traffic yet, no matter how intelligent they may be.

I've witnessed a 200 lb. or so sow w/ 5 piglets stop in the road and get downright defiant when a pickup was bearing down on 'em.

Dude didn't have a Ranch Hand mounted, and evidently didn't have a gun in the truck, he just came to a stop 'till they decided to walk off the road.

I had the Tokarov with me, but they weren't in my lane, and with them being right in front of dude's truck, I figured my best bet was to let them be.

Pretty strange though...

-Guido in TX

Edited by guido2

I was down in our SC plant last year, and got an invite from a foreman to go hog hunting with him and his family. I thought that was a great idea, until he told me they hunt at night, with dogs, and knives!! He said his 9 year old daughter got her first kill on one of the hunts last year. Now there are some really bad-assed down home boys.

I thanked him for the invite, but told him that with my arthritis in my knees, they would be dragging out my crippled-up carcass out of the woods.

Hello

Up in east Texas those obnoxious SOB's haven't figured out traffic yet, no matter how intelligent they may be.

I've witnessed a 200 lb. or so sow w/ 5 piglets stop in the road and get downright defiant when a pickup was bearing down on 'em.

Dude didn't have a Ranch Hand mounted, and evidently didn't have a gun in the truck, he just came to a stop 'till they decided to walk off the road.

I had the Tokarov with me, but they weren't in my lane, and with them being right in front of dude's truck, I figured my best bet was to let them be.

Pretty strange though...

-Guido in TX

Careful. I don't know about texas state law, but federal roads such as freeways are illegal to shot on or across. 

Unfortunately in my state it is functionally illegal to put down a suffering deer or elk you hit with your car if it is still on the road. I am not risking getting kicked or bit while dragging it off the road to shoot it. I bet texas laws are similar.

I was down in our SC plant last year, and got an invite from a foreman to go hog hunting with him and his family. I thought that was a great idea, until he told me they hunt at night, with dogs, and knives!! He said his 9 year old daughter got her first kill on one of the hunts last year. Now there are some really bad-assed down home boys.

I thanked him for the invite, but told him that with my arthritis in my knees, they would be dragging out my crippled-up carcass out of the woods.

You should have went...you missed out on a good time. I don't think hunting them with dogs wi dent the population but it sure as hell runs them off for a while....I like hunting them with dogs....except in the swamps, not a fan of stepping on gators or hitting a soft spot and floating my hat.

Wow ! I can just see it, two dogs with a hold of each ear playing make a wish, while they run up and stick the hog.

I wonder what their legs look like?