Finally picked up a WASR and I thought I'd share a couple of observations on initial inspection.

Front sight is just slightly canted to the left. Really only noticeable if you are specifically looking for it. I didn't notice it at first. Way less canted than my SAR-1. But for full disclosure, not perfectly straight.

Action is smooth. 

Slant brake is not tack welded.

Finish is good.  Not perfect but GTG for an AK.

The wood is plain but nice.

Mag wobble is small.  But...  When inserting a mag it is possible for it to get hung up if inserted at a bit of an angle.  I will be adding the epoxy fix for this.

Came with 2 all-plastic PMAGS.

The Century trigger is pretty good for an out of the box AK.  Quite a bit of takeup but then reasonably crisp at the wall.  Reset is meh.

The safety lever does not drop the hammer if moved up past the normal safe position.

post-4831-0-34958200-1459554869_thumb.jpg

And I will shortly be putting new clothes on my man-barbie.

post-4831-0-18623700-1459554936_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 7

Barbie has her new clothes.

The AKT trigger is just as good as my other one.  But this one came with an auxiliary trigger spring in case you want to increase the pull but don't want to bend the main spring.  I'm not using the aux spring and the pull is around 3lb. Very Nize.

With the AKT trigger the safety does contact the disconnector if moved up past the normal safe position, and the trigger moves slightly, but not nearly enough to drop the hammer. I could remove a few thousandths from the safety and it wouldn't contact the disconnector at all. But the safety doesn't drop the hammer, and the top cover is flared out to form a positive stop for the lever. It's good to go.

Yes I bought another PA Advanced Microdot.  Yes it has the same annoying reflection in it.  I'll live with it because the value of this sight is still amazing.

Mounting the Zhukov handguard with the Ultimak is somewhat like a Chinese puzzle.  It's obvious the Zhukov was designed around the Ultimak the way the clamps perfectly fit in the space between the Ultimak clamps.

Epoxy buildup in the "dimple" area now prevents the mag from getting hung up if inserted crooked. A low tech fix for a low tech rifle.

One other thing I'll note is that there were a ton of tiny metal slivers inside the receiver, presumably from hogging out the mag well. I got those little slivers stuck in my hand a couple of times when working on it.

The tacticoolness is strong in this one.  Purists will hate it, but under the plastic beats the heart of a Kalashnikov.

post-4831-0-69536700-1459641277_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 5

If you want to see a losing lotto ticket watch AKOU's 5,000 round test of the RAS47.

The WASR has proven bulletproof as an AK should be. 

Don't want one?  Don't buy one.

• Like 5

Finally picked up a WASR and I thought I'd share a couple of observations on initial inspection.

Sights are straight. 

Action is smooth. 

Slant brake is not tack welded.

Finish is good.  Not perfect but GTG for an AK.

The wood is plain but nice.

Mag wobble is small.  But...  When inserting a mag it is possible for it to get hung up if inserted at a bit of an angle.  I will be adding the epoxy fix for this.

Came with 2 all-plastic PMAGS.

The Century trigger is pretty good for an out of the box AK.  Quite a bit of takeup but then reasonably crisp at the wall.  Reset is meh.

The safety lever does not drop the hammer if moved up past the normal safe position.

attachicon.gifWASR.jpg

And I will shortly be putting new clothes on my man-barbie.

attachicon.gifWASR2.jpg

Very nice!  The 'new' WASRs I've fondled have all been very nice looking.

Not a fan of the blonde furniture.  Gonna look awesome with your Magpul set.  Looking forward to seeing it together.

Barbie has her new clothes.

The AKT trigger is just as good as my other one.  But this one came with an auxiliary trigger spring in case you want to increase the pull but don't want to bend the main spring.  I'm not using the aux spring and the pull is around 3lb. Very Nize.

Yes I bought another PA Advanced Microdot.  Yes it has the same annoying reflection in it.  I'll live with it because the value of this sight is still amazing.

Mounting the Zhukov handguard with the Ultimak is somewhat like a Chinese puzzle.  It's obvious the Zhukov was designed around the Ultimak the way the clamps perfectly fit in the space between the Ultimak clamps.

The tacticoolness is strong in this one.  Purists will hate it, but under the plastic beats the heart of a Kalashnikov.

attachicon.gifTacticool WASR.jpg

Well that was quick.  I like it!

If you want to see a losing lotto ticket watch AKOU's 5,000 round test of the RAS47.

Bingo.

I am actually looking forward to what Tim had to say about the milled version (which I'm not interested in FWIW).

https://www.full30.com/video/c4354455ada69de8e764b904c576357e

Edited by Pyzik

Meh something was very wrong with that particular rifle from day one, the rivet proves that.

Not like Saiga didn't have the occasional Vodka Special was it.

That rifle is a piece of shit. Rivets popping out, trigger not resetting, rapid wear on the bolt carrier, rapid wear on the goddamn bolt for fucksake.

You can't defend that.

Looks good. Enjoy it. Did you pick it up at Atlantic?

Yes I ordered it from Atlantic.

Edited by Darth Saigus

If you want to see a losing lotto ticket watch AKOU's 5,000 round test of the RAS47.

Don't want one? Don't buy one.

Meh something was very wrong with that particular rifle from day one, the rivet proves that.

After Rob Ski finishes his test its getting sent off to have each individual part rock well tested for hardness. You might want to hold back your opinion untill you see that.

If you want to see a losing lotto ticket watch AKOU's 5,000 round test of the RAS47.

Don't want one? Don't buy one.

After Rob Ski finishes his test its getting sent off to have each individual part rock well tested for hardness. You might want to hold back your opinion untill you see that.

Well the point is as fine as an AK the Saiga can be there were "those" firearms that needed a lot of fixing to be right.

Of course we didnt really have any customer service at all.

Been following the CAI AKs a while now as personally we would be better off with a good USA based production.

At least spare parts can be had easily for the CAI. Most of the issues, not all, could be managed by anyone here that built their own Saiga and know the purpose of a dremel.

Seen a lot of very good and I mean real damn good CAI AKs in the last two years seems the biggest issue over all is the price point and the QC.

Seen a few I wouldn't waste time on also. Front trunnion rivets not seating properly and the pins in the gas block not grabbing the barrel among them and both are on that one rifle.

I wouldn't have bought that one for sure.

That rifle is a piece of shit. Rivets popping out, trigger not resetting, rapid wear on the bolt carrier, rapid wear on the goddamn bolt for fucksake.

You can't defend that.

Looks good. Enjoy it. Did you pick it up at Atlantic?

Yes I ordered it from Atlantic.

Yes exactly ... that rifle.

Had he grabbed one that was made without those flaws, as from my limited experience seem far more common, what would be saying at this point?

I would be saying the same exact thing.

My own fault. I fed the mogwai after midnight. Shame on me.

Back to the actual topic...

I ran 200 rounds of Golden Tiger through it today. Shoots great. Totally reliable except... Multiple ftfs with my 10rd bench magazine.  I used 12 different Tapco slabsides with no issues, and 2 Yugo mags too.  It just doesn't like the stubby.

I can't fully judge accuracy due to the 30mph gusting winds, unmagnified optic, and astigmatism but all rounds landed in 4" at 100 when I was shooting off the rest.  I'll take that.

On a somewhat separate note, I put Weapontech BHO followers in 18 of my Tapco slabsides and tested them all today in the WASR and the Pit Bull.  All worked exactly as advertised.  I admit I didn't see the point of bho mags until I wound up getting 2 yugos with my M92.  I'm now sold on them and will be refitting my stock of steel mags as well.

2de0e2fccb0f525204374cf4671deb0f43ec6576

the thing I always wondered though was, do the gremlins know about time zones? how do they know if my clock is off?  what time in the morning does it become OK to feed them again? sunrise?  nobody ever said anything about this stuff.

• Like 1

2de0e2fccb0f525204374cf4671deb0f43ec6576

the thing I always wondered though was, do the gremlins know about time zones? how do they know if my clock is off?  what time in the morning does it become OK to feed them again? sunrise?  nobody ever said anything about this stuff.

I always took it as you should just starve a gremlin/mogwai or else its going south. It IS always after midnight. Mogwai rules are just too ambiguous to take any risk

• 2 weeks later...

At the 10:00 mark he shows a different RAS47 that KBed.  I wouldn't take one of those if it was free.

The old Century is back, and this time they're trying to kill their customers.

Yes the WASR is imported by Century and slightly modified and their work isn't perfect on those either but the basic rifle is solid.

• Like 1