I believe the next step in human evolution will be cyborgs. What if limbs and organs could be replaces with permanent robotics? We are already in the beginning stages of this happening. After that, I believe we will create sentient artificial intelligence, which will ultimately replace organic human life.

When I think about that it makes me wonder if it's actually life or just a really good replication. I guess we won't know for sure until we cannot control or dictate it's personality...

For the theist here, do you think God would allow such an entity to exist, and is there any scripture that might suggest it's sinful to try? I cannot think of any.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are all evolving toward eternity.  The question is where will each of us spend it?

With a name like GRUMPY, I know a thing or two about ARGUING!  BUT just pushing everyone for an arguement is NOT what we are here for! I will put up with a bunch of shit, IF the poster also shares kno

.....or the Cambrian explosion....or the issue with the fossil record...or Hackel's fraud...or Miller's experiment, simulating early Earth's atmosphere, producing cyanide.....or irreducible complexity

Posted Images

As far as your original question, I don't think ever in this conversation have even hinted toward knowing all, or even that all can be known. Quite the opposite. That's YOUR contention. That it's all contained in a book penned in a language you cannot read, translated under the watchful eye of rulers whom required it to support them... rulers whom as I pointed out held back real study. Remember what I said earlier abut corruption?

Negatory pigpen -- I am but a cork floating in the biggest ocean of knowledge.  I know nothing but what is around me and have enough faith to trust in my God for my every want and need.  To say that I think I know everything -- the mind of God that is, well, a not very well thought out statement indeed.  I live by the dictum that if one is not learning, one is dying.

Edited by Odd Man Out

I believe the next step in human evolution will be cyborgs. What if limbs and organs could be replaces with permanent robotics? We are already in the beginning stages of this happening. After that, I believe we will create sentient artificial intelligence, which will ultimately replace organic human life.

When I think about that it makes me wonder if it's actually life or just a really good replication. I guess we won't know for sure until we cannot control or dictate it's personality...

For the theist here, do you think God would allow such an entity to exist, and is there any scripture that might suggest it's sinful to try? I cannot think of any.

God gives each of us free will to ignore or embrace Him, murder, rape or give to the poor.  We are free to do what we want (ignoring consequences here).  I am positive that Man will do -- fill in the blank -- in the future.  Morality and ethics are continuing to decline worldwide.

The only thing I can think of that would impinge on a Godly man trying to replicate life would be something about;

"So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."

It does not say not to do it but in doing so Man is taking the place of God -- but then imho that has been the source of many of our problems...

God gives each of us free will to ignore or embrace Him, murder, rape or give to the poor. We are free to do what we want (ignoring consequences here). I am positive that Man will do -- fill in the blank -- in the future. Morality and ethics are continuing to decline worldwide.

The only thing I can think of that would impinge on a Godly man trying to replicate life would be something about;

"So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them."

It does not say not to do it but in doing so Man is taking the place of God -- but then imho that has been the source of many of our problems...

Or is that just man trying to live up to that image? If god knows the out come off all things he had to know it would happen.

(Of course that gets me wondering if predestined negates free will, and if god knows how it all turns out why bother in the first place? )

This has been a great forum since the ax.

If you can't get Saigas anymore you can talk about God or that you do not believe in God.

Personally I've found it thought provoking and a fun read. It gets a little passionate sometimes but that's OK!

It's because we typically try so hard to avoid conflict that we refuse to discuss politics and religion we create these walls between us that make us feel like any question of our beliefs is persecution. It's a travesty to the art of discussion.

If you travel international lot like I do, you start to see that people in other countries don't find it taboo topic...and almost never care what your job is unless you tell them your there for work.

• Like 1

I found it OK if we stayed with Theory Of Evolution and The Future Evolution Of Mankind.  All the other stuff did not fit.  Did not fit at all.  What is bad is that those trying to fit stuff that did not fit also knew this and tried to make it fit anyway.  Knowingly diluting the subject at hand.  Knowingly pulling it down.  Probably based because they wanted to.  Not good at all.  I am trying to be kind here.  Respectfully.  Yep again, better the entire thing get deleted.  HB

When a valid subject is presented and many on this forum choose to pull down or dilute the subject, then that does not bode well for the Forum as well.  The moderators are going to have to make a decision on this and soon.  How about a separate section just about Science and another section just about Religion?  Corrective action is now available.  Perhaps the owner will decide this.  There is a valid good solution to this.  Please consider taking it.  Again respectfully.

I think the mods have done rather well letting it continue.

Sure some pissing about things but nothing outlandishly personal.

If you begin a thread on evolution one has to be prepared for the idea to be challenged, same goes for creationism.

If you wish not to be challenged then don't get into it, on any side.

Assumptions about the nature of things on all parts, all one can reasonably do is confront his own and question all things.

Unfortunately establishment science has become as big a dodge as politics and for the same reasons, money and the death of integrity.

In short grant whores are rising.

Consider it a sign.

• Like 2

Kinda like insisting crappy Hi Point parts will fit into a Cool Saiga 12.  Then greatly describing why such a parts selection would not only fit but would improve the Saiga 12.  This might get personal, but at this stage I do not care.  A am an Agnostic.  Now I understand why this is so. 

Personally I believe the Theory of Evolution over Religious input.  Evolution without ANY Religious input.  Religion does not fit.  If you are Religious please remember your Faith is just that.  A matter of Faith.  Evolution is based upon empirical science and is presented as provable FACT.

ANY RELIGIOUS input in the thread titled The Future EVOLUTION Of Mankind does not fit. It is ridiculous on any level and those of Faith should know better and should not enter the discussion at hand.  The problem is that you of Faith just can not leave it alone.   Respectfully.  :( :(

"Evolution is based upon empirical science and is presented as provable FACT."

Huh?!?

I thought it was called the THEORY of evolution...

I guess we all have our indisputable faiths don't we HB.  

I for one am able to carry on a discussion with all about mine.  Just because people do not agree with me does not mean I feel the need to segregate them and their ideas.  HB, this is the U.S. of A. and as of now we still have the freedom of speech (to some degree).  Stop trying to impersonate a democrat and continue to push the curtailment of said rights.  Just sayin.

Just got another thought, if evolution is "fact", could something show me the complete evolutionary tree of man from one celled thing to homo sapiens?  

Sorry, just could not resist...

Edited by Odd Man Out
  • Like 1

The only (fact) about evolution is that it CAN NOT be proven period!!!!!

To continue to call for debate to be Shut Down, coupled with imbecilic comparisons to gun parts....WTF OVER??????

The known facts seem to be irrelevant to some folks.

Just show me ONE single proven example of one species evolving into a different species .

Not a simple adaptation, but spawning a different species

Then I would be convinced that evolution is real 

Edited by unforgiven

"Evolution is based upon empirical science and is presented as provable FACT."

Huh?!?

I thought it was called the THEORY of evolution...

I guess we all have our indisputable faiths don't we HB.

I for one am able to carry on a discussion with all about mine. Just because people do not agree with me does not mean I feel the need to segregate them and their ideas. HB, this is the U.S. of A. and as of now we still have the freedom of speech (to some degree). Stop trying to impersonate a democrat and continue to push the curtailment of said rights. Just sayin.

Just got another thought, if evolution is "fact", could something show me the complete evolutionary tree of man from one celled thing to homo sapiens?

Sorry, just could not resist...

Don't confuse Law and theory in scientific terms.

A law tell us how to calculate or a formula.

Gravity is a theory.

Gravitational attraction is a law.

Yes the difference is in how and why.

"We can use Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation to calculate how strong the gravitational pull is between the Earth and the object you dropped, which would let us calculate its acceleration as it falls, how long it will take to hit the ground, how fast it would be going at impact, how much energy it will take to pick it up again, etc.

While the law lets us calculate quite a bit about what happens, notice that it does not tell us anything about WHY it happens. That is what theories are for. In the language of science, the word "theory" is used to describe an explanation of why and how things happen. For gravity, we use Einstein's Theory of General Relativity to explain why things fall.

A theory starts as one or more hypotheses, untested ideas about why something happens. For example, I might propose a hypothesis that the object that you released fell because it was pulled by the Earth's magnetic field. Once we started testing, it would not take long to find out that my hypothesis was not supported by the evidence. Non-magnetic objects fall at the same rate as magnetic objects. Because it was not supported by the evidence, my hypothesis does not gain the status of being a theory. To become a scientific theory, an idea must be thoroughly tested, and must be an accurate and predictive description of the natural world.

While laws rarely change, theories change frequently as new evidence is discovered. Instead of being discarded due to new evidence, theories are often revised to include the new evidence in their explanation. The Theory of General Relativity has adapted as new technologies and new evidence have expanded our view of the universe.

So when we are scientifically discussing gravity, we can talk about the law of gravity that describes the attraction between two objects, and we can also talk about the theory of gravity that describes why the objects attract each other."

• Like 1

You know, respectfully here, if I hear just more none sense post about religion belonging in Evolution, I MAY think about commenting on the religious point of view threads regarding this discussion about the Future Evolution Of Mankind.  Soss, one more time please ...

Religion is about Faith. Faith alone.  Religion is not about Science. Empirical Science is not about Religious Faith.  ANY threads relating to Faith have no place in the discussion at hand; the Future Evolution Of Mankind.  Evolution is probably a fact.  But Science can not say for sure.

That is not the way Science works.  We think we know, but we are not completely sure.  The Theory of Evolution is almost scientific fact.  Not quite.  Why?  Because in Science further testing is always required.  Theories get tested.  Over and over. Religious input is irrelevant.  Why?

Because very little in Religion can be proved as Scientific Fact.  Why?  Because little of it can withstand the Scientific Method.  Observations, ideas, repeatable experimentation, theory, challenges, more experimentation, better theory, so on and so on it goes.  Religion fails the tests.

Religion is faith.  It can be anything you want.  Anything.  No empirical repeatable experimentation necessary.  No theory.  Religion is individual.  Science is world wide.  Religion can abruptly change upon whims.  Science does not.  Religion is emotional.  Science is hard facts.

The most common statement Science can make is ... "We simply do not know."  As we learn more and test for that repeatedly, we can say we think something is so.  The Theory Of Evolution.  Pretty firm Science.  But ... also understand we can still make theory better.

Also understand Science can have it wrong.  Good science always is self correcting through repeated experimentation.  Man caused Global Warming is an example of bad bad science becoming Political Science.   Political Science can screw up Good Science royally.

But ... but ... but like said before for those who forget, Science does not have all the answers.  No way.  But the subject here is The Future Evolution Of Mankind.  Religion does not belong here.  Get out.  Any religious answer is very silly.  Yep.  Go away please.

Worse than silly.  Irrelevant.  Worse than irrelevant.  It is now getting personal?  You know who.  Please consider what you are doing.  Such input to the question at hand is pulling down and diluting the thread.  Are you doing this for your own personal issues?  Thin ice indeed. 

HB of CJ (old coot)  Now I understand more why I am an Agnostic.  Respectfully.

Come on hb use use non- word soss a few more times it just makes you look,  so.....brilliant 

Please tell us about 50 more times you are agnostic.......the first 50 didn't quite get thru.

Please feel free to blather away...I wont be listening any longer

Respectfully

"But the subject here is The Future Evolution Of Mankind.  Religion does not belong here.  Get out."

HB

Hey HB, last time I checked, it was still a free country and unless you are a moderator you are just another person here like myself.

Let me try to convince you why Christianity plays a role in the evolution of Mankind.  It is my position that without the good effects of Christianity, that people will continue to devolve (get it?!?) further into the moral degradation that we are currently sliding into. Whether or not you believe you gotta admit that people who honestly follow Christ (if you know of any) are some good caring people that want the best for others.  We need more of this influence in our world, would you not agree?

We differ in our view of where we (mankind) are headed -- you may have ideas of future big brained humans transiting the cosmos.  I see mankind continuously heading down the path of further screwing things up.  Remember it was only 71 years ago when an "enlightened" culture was actively engaged in a holocaust.  We (mankind) do not seem to be making great strides towards enlightenment and inclusion.  Just take yourself for example and your attitude towards Christianity.  Not very evolved imho.

Edited by Odd Man Out

I am beginning to understand why some of the religious input to this Forum occurs.  Sad indeed.  This is like pounding sand.  Religious input into a Hard Science post indicates the limited nature of ... SOME of the ...input.  I will not stoop to personal attacks.  I believe my case has been made for me.  Thank you.  Good luck.  HB.

"Beam Me Up Scotty .... There Are No Intelligent Posts Here."  Meant as a joke.  I am included.  So is everybody else.  This whole thread has become a joke. Very sad indeed. :( :( :(

I am beginning to understand why some of the religious input to this Forum occurs.  Sad indeed.  This is like pounding sand.  Religious input into a Hard Science post indicates the limited nature of ... SOME of the ...input.  I will not stoop to personal attacks.  I believe my case has been made for me.  Thank you.  Good luck.  HB.

"Beam Me Up Scotty .... There Are No Intelligent Posts Here."  Meant as a joke.  I am included.  So is everybody else.  This whole thread has become a joke. Very sad indeed. sad.pngsad.pngsad.png

HB

I have been civil and tried to engage you in conversation on the subject.  You reply with ridicule.  I wish you well in life my friend, you will one day see that not everything fits snugly into a scientific box...

If God is a creator, and God created man in his own image, wouldn't man also be capable of creation?

Seems we are more prone towards destruction.  

and (sorry to be a smarta## but -- didn't your parents tell you about the birds and bees???????

And all you are doing is to try to understand God's creation. Good luck with that my friend!

Whatever the source it's a fascinating journey. I try not to focus on an expectation and simply read where the observations take me.

Hopefully one day your observations will lead you to the Truth (sorry, I couldn't help myself!)

Science - the ongoing debate to find the fundamental basis for everything that is our reality.Based on observation and experiment,

and proofed by repeatable results.

Religion - Taking on blind faith whatever the "professionally religious" voice tells you is real, with NO evidence or proof.

I watched a very interesting program yesterday regarding the age of the Earth.

If the Earth is >10,000 years old, evolution has to be thrown out the window.

Scientists have no concrete method of dating anything older than a few thousand years (radio-carbon dating).

I've tried very hard to research the varied methodologies and there always seem to be "assumptions" made (ie guess-work) within the method.

We have never found ANY evidence of any species morphing into another species.

Scientists have no concrete method of dating anything older than a few thousand years (radio-carbon dating).

I've tried very hard to research the varied methodologies and there always seem to be "assumptions" made (ie guess-work) within the method.

Before I go into any detail...let me ask you this:

Do you believe in global climate change as a direct result of industrial revolution?

Before I go into any detail...let me ask you this:

Do you believe in global climate change as a direct result of industrial revolution?

I believe that people can effect the global climate.

Whether we have a larger effect than nature itself, I find questionable. Right now, there are 40 volanoes spewing particles and gasses into the atmosphere. What effect will they have on the environment?

What about the effect of solar activity?

To say that humans are the cause of everything is painting with a broad brush.

Why do you ask?