Black Aces rail Opinion?

sportsmansguide has the Black Aces Tactical Saiga 12 one piece rail on clearance for $60 or $54 if a member. Seems like a pretty good deal on a normally $190 rail.

Anybody have one?  Any opinions on this?

Other than converting my 12, I've not done anything to dress it up. Thinking this might be fun and inexpensive way to make it look better.

Edited by mac66

I do not have the black aces rail but it looks nice. The fact that it is aluminum is a big plus. It appears to be light and won't cause too much extra weight. The price is good.

The only thing I was concerned with is the rail in relation to the dust cover. If you have to take the rail off to remove the dust cover that might be a pain... However, if you rarely remove your dust cover to inspect or clean the S12 then maybe it won't be a big deal. If cost is important to you then the low price may offset the extra effort required to temporarily remove the rail for future maintenance.

Edited by Hazieview

It looks like there is enough room for the receiver cover to be lifted off, not sure about the bolt/carrier and it doesn't say on the BA website. Usually if a company doesn't mention something as a selling point then it doesn't do it.

I do not have the black aces rail but it looks nice. The fact that it is aluminum is a big plus. It appears to be light and won't cause too much extra weight. The price is good.

The only thing I was concerned with is the rail in relation to the dust cover. If you have to take the rail off to remove the dust cover that might be a pain... However, if you rarely remove your dust cover to inspect or clean the S12 then maybe it won't be a big deal. If cost is important to you then the low price may offset the extra effort required to temporarily remove the rail for future maintenance.

I think if I were to have a quad, it would be Chaos, hands down. his are cleaner and lighter. That one you linked is very bulky. It makes the gun a puffy thing to put your hands around and the way it ties into the scope mount is strange. They had to make the thing huge to fit around the whole gun that way.

Chaos has sales too. Spend your money there.

I've held several of the rails on the market, and it is the nicest. Still wider and sharper than I like, but with an AFG it is the one I would most prefer to put on my gun. -- I say "it," but that's not quite right. he has several models which are kinda modular.

• Like 1

I have one on my Saiga, and I actually like it. The fact that the rear attaches to the scope mount means that the rail is rigid along its entire length, and if you mount an Eotech or any kind of Picatinny-mount sights for shooting slugs, your accuracy is limited by the barrel and ammo quality, not a floppy sight mount. You'll want to use a VFG or AFG with it, as it's oddly shaped for gripping directly. It's a free float design, so the only part that gets at all warm is just forward of the barrel trunnion; the rest stays quite cool. It does not block the vent port on the side of the gas block. And it doesn't make removing the receiver dust cover difficult, you push the release button in, lift, and slide back. Reverse to reinstall.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's solid and reasonably well-designed.

Thanks for the comment. I am also assuming there is no problem removing the bolt carrier as well.

One more question....

My Saiga has sight rail that is attached at the rear by a dove tail and at the front by an adjusting wheel. Does this rail have to be removed for the BA rail to be installed?

I have one on my Saiga, and I actually like it. The fact that the rear attaches to the scope mount means that the rail is rigid along its entire length, and if you mount an Eotech or any kind of Picatinny-mount sights for shooting slugs, your accuracy is limited by the barrel and ammo quality, not a floppy sight mount. You'll want to use a VFG or AFG with it, as it's oddly shaped for gripping directly. It's a free float design, so the only part that gets at all warm is just forward of the barrel trunnion; the rest stays quite cool. It does not block the vent port on the side of the gas block. And it doesn't make removing the receiver dust cover difficult, you push the release button in, lift, and slide back. Reverse to reinstall.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's solid and reasonably well-designed.

You have an Iz-108 model. You will have to remove the rear sight dovetail at the back of the rail by drifting it sideways, after unscrewing the adjusting wheel. This is easier to do if you wedge a punch or something under the leaf spring that makes it click into detente notches.

The next step is to mail that nifty rail you are taking off to me.

You have an Iz-108 model. You will have to remove the rear sight dovetail at the back of the rail by drifting it sideways, after unscrewing the adjusting wheel. This is easier to do if you wedge a punch or something under the leaf spring that makes it click into detente notches.

Thanks for the info. One nice thing about that existing rail is that you can press fit one of those fiber optic sights that fit on shotgun ribs on it. It works well and I will miss that if I get the BA rail.  I tend to keep gun parts in case I want to return them to original condition but thanks for offering to unburden me of it. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. One nice thing about that existing rail is that you can press fit one of those fiber optic sights that fit on shotgun ribs on it. It works well and I will miss that if I get the BA rail.  I tend to keep gun parts in case I want to return them to original condition but thanks for offering to unburden me of it. wink.png

Works great with this too:http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_12/fsbs12.html (tall style)