1976 CVA 45 cal. Kentucky muzzle loader

Just found my 1976 CVA 45 cal muzzle loader that was a gift kit from my fatherinlaw.

When I hunted with it I only used lead balls.

Anyone here have one this old and shoots mini balls in it.

I cannot remember the twist rate. Looking for the spec's on line.

It's in great shape just need a little talc.

I must have cleaned it before storing it because t has very little rust and no pitting in the barrel

Barrel cleaned and is soaking with a generous amount of hopes # 9 after swabbing clean.

Hope to shoot it next week.

Just found my 1976 CVA 45 cal muzzle loader that was a gift kit from my fatherinlaw.

When I hunted with it I only used lead balls.

Anyone here have one this old and shoots mini balls in it.

I cannot remember the twist rate. Looking for the spec's on line.

It's in great shape just need a little talc.

It's a 1:48"

You can shoot minies, but they are hard to find pre-cast.  Lyman once made a .45 minie mould, but it is long out of production. You can also find R.E.A.L. (Rifling Engraved At :Loading) bullets for .45 too.  PRB, however, is hard to beat.

Macbeau...

There are lots of minnie molds on ebay. I see them all the time. I have a .45 Lee mold that does round balls and REAL, 1 of each with each pour. I could probably cast him a few.

When I cleaned the barrel and ran a light down it, I new it was more than 1:66.

Hunted with ball and a coonskin cap, just found that.

Been called out every weekend for a while, it's time to flush the phone and let someone else do it.

Will be running lubed patches and may try some poly patches ( just will not shoot down hill as the ball might roll out of the barrel)

Lookin for any type mini that may work , no luck so far.

When I cleaned the barrel and ran a light down it, I new it was more than 1:66.

Hunted with ball and a coonskin cap, just found that.

Been called out every weekend for a while, it's time to flush the phone and let someone else do it.

Will be running lubed patches and may try some poly patches ( just will not shoot down hill as the ball might roll out of the barrel)

Lookin for any type mini that may work , no luck so far.

http://leeprecision.com/mold-454-298-m.html

http://leeprecision.com/mold-d-c-45cal-200.html

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got to take the wife out to the range to see if she can hold up to shooting her pistols after having heart surgery last June.

And also to shoot the CVA which I have not shot for close to 40 years.

First I want to say that the wife after a few misplaced shots she was rocking with both of her carry pistols, M&P 40 C and her Colt Mustang. She was a little sore where they cracked her chest but felt great. ,

So I loaded the muzzleloader up ,inserted the pecuction cap and pulled the trigger and she went click, cocked the hammer and pulled the trigger again and it still went click.

Tried a new cap it still went click. Pulled the cap off and looked at it. It was like it had not been fired so I looked into the hammer pocket and what did I find. I found a 40 year old spent percussion cap jammed in the pocket. Pulled it out,inserted a new percussion cap ,took aim and bang went the rifle.

Looked at the target and thought I missed it completely but the wife said no it went dead center.

I just stood there amazed.

So I proceeded to shoot it all afternoon having a blast.

An old friend who works with Home Land Security came out with us and loved shooting it so much he is going to get one.

All in all it was a long awaited and enjoyable day off