So let's say hypothetically a co-worker is known to be "off", takes antipsychotics, talks to himself when no one is around, and does a lot of generally weird things.  He has also admitted to being kicked out of VA housing for not taking his meds or going to his meetings.  

Yesterday he comes in boasting about buying a S&W Shield and asking where he can take conceal carry classes.   Everyone gets immediately on edge.  We notice that he spends 5 minutes staring at the emergency exit diagram of the building and also stood at his desk and spent several minutes with a 1000 yard stare surveying the workforce.

Now I'm all about gun rights and don't want to take them from anybody, but everyone here knows this guy isn't right mentally.

What to do?

Same as Spacehog...

Report to supervisor in writing, exactly what you've witnessed and how you feel he poses a high risk of potential danger to you and everyone else.

Use the magic words, "I do not feel safe in your work environment with a person known to be mentally unstable in possession of a firearm."

Do this and if anything happens sue them for failing to provide a safe workplace.

Sue them for denying you your 2A Right to defend yourself.

Be very wary of that mofo and regardless of any company policy, carry at work.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 8

Statistically the odds of him doing something stupid are very low, on the other hand it sounds like he sure fits the profile.

Hard not go all hyper sensitive on something like this.

Perhaps invite him deer hunting and provide him a fur coat and antler hat.

• Like 3

More than that.  Talk to the boss immediately and report everything you have seen and what you are thinking.  If your boss choses not to take immediate action, call 911.  In the meantime watch the guy carefully.  This might be a perfect reason for you to also ignore the kill free zone signs or policy and carry your own handgun while watching him.  All of this seems overboard?  Well ... what if it was not enough?

HB; retarded RN including crisis intervention and physk tecking in the lock down place.  Do not delay with this.

• Like 1

Hypothetically I would say "Hey, dude, what's up? You seem a little off lately.", but I spent 23 years talking to psychotic murderers and acting on the response. The others above have given good advice, too.  

• Like 3

Yep ... most likely much to do about nothing.  We all have our off days.  Odds are nothing will come of it.  One thing you can go by is your gut feeling or hunches.  This is the rest of your brain taking to you.  If you "feel" uncomfy about all of this, then pro actively act upon it.

But ... here is the other boot falling hard.  No good deed shall go unpunished.  Non intended repercussions.  You plant the wind, you reap the whirlwind.  Much of this is subjective.   Crazy folks sometimes are very hard to read as already said better.  A hard decision to make.

So let's say hypothetically a co-worker is known to be "off", takes antipsychotics, talks to himself when no one is around, and does a lot of generally weird things.  He has also admitted to being kicked out of VA housing for not taking his meds or going to his meetings.  

Yesterday he comes in boasting about buying a S&W Shield and asking where he can take conceal carry classes.   Everyone gets immediately on edge.  We notice that he spends 5 minutes staring at the emergency exit diagram of the building and also stood at his desk and spent several minutes with a 1000 yard stare surveying the workforce.

Now I'm all about gun rights and don't want to take them from anybody, but everyone here knows this guy isn't right mentally.

What to do?

If you did not see the gun he probably did not get one. He might be just acting out for attention.

Your call as it's your life but absolutely would carry and keep sit-aware.

It is also possible, not saying how likely, the actions are being misinterpreted due to the edginess we are all feeling.

Crazy is everywhere these days, all just part of the whole mess.

One reason I keep a pistol that is easily deeply concealed.

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • Like 4

If their reporting policy allows you to report without him being notified it was you, do it. If you get reported to him as the reporter, avoid the place like the plague. Vaca time, burst your own appendix, hell claim you need "mental health" days. Whatever you do, if he knows you may be carrying, avoid him. He will try to remove the greatest obstacles first so keep your eyes open

• Like 1

throw an office party for him complete with stripper in a cake just like in Under Siege

Nah, just can him and surround the windows and doors with armed employees. Private Owners can still make their own laws. Edited by Sim_Player

No hypothetical updates from the OP since the first post. nothing.gif

Im still alive and happy to report all is quiet on the western front. Some of the gossip ladies here already notified the correct people for me, so thats cool. Its just been business as usual, but with my head on a swivel and escape routes planned in all directions just in case. Thanks for the tips.

• Like 1