I would like to buy something for my children

I would like to buy something to leave my children when I am gone . I have enough in the ak /ar line and am good in the bolt guns. I was wanting something that would be valuable or cool 25 years from now . I am not really a pistol guy , and was thinking along the lines of an M1A , I cant afford to buy 2 full autos so I was thinking some nice scoped wood . You guys got any ideas ?

How are you writing skills?  Consider a short story describing your life?  First person singular?  Go heavy on thoughts, feelings, emotions.  Just describe your life?  Good, So sos.  Bads.  Successes?  Failures?  Right now I wish I had such short or long stories of my Dads and Granddads lives.  Respectfully.  :)

• Like 1

I'd be looking for some nice, high end, classic rifles or shotguns that are already proven collectors items with investor value.

I would suggest thinking about firearms that have proven the ability to survive draconian gun control laws/confiscation and destruction in other parts of the world.

Buy the best quality you can afford, have their values appraised regularly and have strict instructions in your Will & Testament as to their final disposition upon your death, whether as pieces of the estate as a whole or items of personal property left to specific individuals.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I know you said you're not a pistol guy, but, what about a C96 Mauser for each? Preferably with original wooden stocks to add to the awesome factor.

ETA: If not, then my vote is definitely still for some full auto. Never going to see any new ones being legal for us peasants to purchase. Even just a MAC/Cobray or something should suffice. If not that, then perhaps some HK something or others?

Edited by forsaken352
  • Like 1

well, what i would do is buy some factory unserialized guns on the cheap, keep those and throw the majority of the money into a roth IRA. those old unserialized guns are getting harder and harder to find and are worth almost their weight in gold.

• Like 1

How are you writing skills?  Consider a short story describing your life?  First person singular?  Go heavy on thoughts, feelings, emotions.  Just describe your life?  Good, So sos.  Bads.  Successes?  Failures?  Right now I wish I had such short or long stories of my Dads and Granddads lives.  Respectfully.  smile.png

Have to agree.  Things are just things but personal memories are the essence of the people who wrote them.  My sister is keeping every little piece of anything that our deceased parents owned.  I keep telling her that neither of them care anything about all that crap now and that our memories of them are what matters.  Sure I have a picture or two but it is what's in my heart that is the irreplaceable gold...

• Like 2

I figure my kids can have what I personally owned and liked when I was alive. I'm absolutely not buying firearms in advance for no other reason than to will to my children.

Gift your children now, while you are alive and can appreciate their enjoyment.

• Like 1

You said you can afford a couple of buzz guns.  Be careful here.  Consider future political choke points including calling in all the NFA tax stamped goodies as a plausible very bad event?  Some might even have an inexpensive, (?) light auto rifle just as a "trip wire" to see if things ever get that bad regarding firearm ownership?  Humm.

But, on the other hand, NFA stuff is $appreciating$ in value very rapidly.  Specific recommendations on two auto weapons?  Consider the transferable M2 Carbine "Trigger Pak".  These are not factory or over stamped M2 Carbine Receivers.  These are registered single parts that legally entitle one to build up a legal M2 Carbine.

The specific single NFA part varies.  I know somebody who has a "Trigger Pak" using the M2 trigger housing as the registered NFA part.  The donor USGI M1 Carbine can be swapped out.  M2 Trigger housings are very low stress parts and last almost forever.  All the inside parts can be legally owned and also swapped out as they age.

We chose the USGI M1 Carbine as our "to go to" firearm.  Anyone from 8 to 88 can employ this light rifle.  The M2 Carbine is the select fire version.  Fun to run.  Can get expensive in ammo.  We burned through 500 rounds in just 4 hours.  Zero stoppages due to the rifle.  If you can find one or two "Trigger Pacs" they will be $spendy$.

Expect to pay almost $10,000 bucks each?  But ... many advantages.  One of the first true "Assault Rifles"  Some love them.  Others hate them.  But a whole lot cheaper than even a beater M16 at $22-24K or even a shot out MP5 for $25 grand. MACS are not considered.  Anyhow, just brain storming with stuff to leave to your kids.  A NFA trust.

Sorry for the long post.  All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.  M2 Carbines do have a learning curve.  Doable.

Leave them your values. Leave them your work ethic. Leave them a sense of personal responsibility. Leave them a love of freedom.

+1

Firearms could be banned in the future.

Teach them how to make one.

A bit of pipe wood and a dremel.

Share your time.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

Plan to dispose of most of my firearms in a couple of years god willing I make it to that and just break down the proceeds into silver and 1/10th oz gold coin.

Not really any of them that need any firearms and any insurance and property will go to the wife.

Kids can have the metals if my wife deems it right.

Either way I wont care.

Hello

Considering that if not firearms, ammo at the least (or un-traceable ammo anyway) may very well be illegal in my adult children's or my grandchildren's lives, one thing I intend to leave them is an understanding of handloading and the capacity to practice it. For many decades.

I've always considered ammunition to be the weak link......

-Guido in TX

• Like 1