There be threads underneath that there front site! Please Advise..

I got to looking at the barrel on my IZ 132 and it looks like there are threads on the barrel underneath the shrouded portion of the front site.  I will try to get a good pic of it later, I just don't want to go dig it out of the safe right now.  My question about that is what would be the best way to expose the possible threads without taking the entire front site off or doing any damage to possible said threads?  Take it slow with a Dremel and cutting wheel?  A pipe cutter?  I'd like to keep the site where it is if at all possible and just drill out the hole for a detent since I have those parts on hand.

-Shotty

Edited by Shotty091

If you're talking about the portion of the barrel under the front sight block, that's likely not threads, just rough machining. The Russians generally press and pin the front sight into place.

A handful from around 09-10 came with factory threaded barrels. His very well may be one of them. 

• Like 1

If you're talking about the portion of the barrel under the front sight block, that's likely not threads, just rough machining. The Russians generally press and pin the front sight into place.

A handful from around 09-10 came with factory threaded barrels. His very well may be one of them.

+1. Mine was one of them. Normally you can see the start of the threads peaking through if you look closely. Measure back 5/8" from the muzzle, mark a line and use a pipe cutter to cut through the shroud. If you have threads, your done:) . If not you needed to cut back the shroud 5/8" to thread the barrel anyway.

+1. Mine was one of them. Normally you can see the start of the threads peaking through if you look closely. Measure back 5/8" from the muzzle, mark a line and use a pipe cutter to cut through the shroud. If you have threads, your done:) . If not you needed to cut back the shroud 5/8" to thread the barrel anyway.

I will try and get a pic of it to post tomorrow.  From what I remember it looks a lot like you describe Spacehog.

I will try and get a pic of it to post tomorrow.  From what I remember it looks a lot like you describe Spacehog.

Here are some pics of the tip of the barrel.  Looks like shit.  I tried cleaning the tip but ended up spreading around a bunch of gunk instead.  That's not rust.  Anyway, I'm gonna say that Threads are there, just my gut.  Gonna have to do some cutting to know for sure.  Rifle manufacture date is 2009.

post-13180-0-00234500-1461908037_thumb.jpg

post-13180-0-11878700-1461908083_thumb.jpg

post-13180-0-92630500-1461908100_thumb.jpg

Excellent, looks like you have a threaded barrel under there!

I'd recommend using a Dremel tool with the metal cutting wheel and going nice and slow. Cut horizontally at 3 o clock and 9 o clock. Then cut all around at where that shroud meets the front sight block. Make lots of small passes and use a hammer and steel chisel to separate the pieces. Better to go nice and slow. Did I mention, go slow? Go slow and don't go too deep and fuck your barrel up. Use a jeweler's file, diamond tipped works best, to clean up the threads and any loose marks you may have scratched.

Oh, and go slowly.  

Yep it looks threaded congratulations. As far as shroud removal, begin with a pipe cutter to get straight lines. Finish with a dremel, and do take it slow, using the shroud thickness at the muzzle as a reference for the depth of cut. One thing I will say is do not expect the shroud to come off easily even after you are fully through it. There is a lot of what appears to be liquid pipe threading compound around the threads.

A quick tip to make sure you don't go through too far with the dremel is to place the barrel in a vice and as you think you are getting close use a large pail of channel locks or pipe wrench to twist the end of the shroud you just cut through. It will move and twist off when you are through. Good luck.

Edited by Spacehog
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Use a hose clamp against the front of the FSB as a guide.  Cut 180 degrees, then rotate the clamp so the screw thing doesn't get in the way.  You can use a crush washer or a spark plug washer to index what ever you put on it.  An AMD65 brake is cool.

Yeah, how'd it turn out?

Speaking of muzzle devices:

Has Tapco stopped making the Slot?  I can't find a retailer with one in stock and I've tried dozens of sites.  The guy on eBay with the look-alike charges triple.

Slant doesn't measure up, and I'm not thrilled with the 74.

EDIT::

Figures, as soon as you ask you find the answer.  I found a discussion on another forum about some failures that looked pretty scary.  One poster quoted Tapco's response about the issue.  They are discontinued pending a redesign.  The failures made me think of another issue.

I store my autos muzzle down.  Manuals, muzzle up.  Are muzzle devices made to withstand being stored that way?  I can see a little bend causing big problems.  Anyway, the Night Brake reportedly works well.

Edited by yard
  • 8 months later...