serious answer:

You seem to be into being the special kid on the block with the weird toy no one else brought. You don't have a lot of money. You want unusual. You want to ask advice and then discuss it for weeks and then do the opposite.

How about a VZ58 variant? They are probably around $500 now for a gun that would cost about $1200 to make, and with a few mags included. Shoots 7.62x39. Runs. Most people think they are nicer than AKs, but they are a little hokey for optics.

As the others said, if you actually plan to hunt, get a gun for that too. I'd say you can go to any old used gun store and find a decent Winchester 70 or Rem 700 or similar that was made in the 60s or 70s for a couple hundred. Might even have a decent scope on top. It will shoot as well as any new 1000 gun and can certainly handle a few practice trips and 3 hunts a year. Might actually have better fit and finish than a new 1000 gun.  You could also get a K31 swiss for hunting, which fits the gun hipster urge. or a SMLE. Those are pretty nice too.

This would leave you with both guns and some ammo, well under $1K.

I have a K31 and it's a great gun, but ammo availability is a problem. I got 180 rounds with the gun but the only other ammo I could find is $35 for 20 rounds. Even reloading brass is hard to find.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the end, your money your choice.  Just be realistic about your intended use.  Do you plan to shoot mostly 300yds and under at targets that don't have a heartbeat?  Then 7.62x39 or 5.56 are far bett

serious answer:   You seem to be into being the special kid on the block with the weird toy no one else brought. You don't have a lot of money. You want unusual. You want to ask advice and then disc

Ya, I don't get that you think an AR is hideous, but an HK G3 is a consideration.

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Made up my mind and bought an HK91 clone [right as this scare hit]. Came with a cleaning kit and I'm wondering what this chain thingy is: new%20promo%20(3%20of%205).jpg

Guessing its a bore snake [kinda hoping it is] but not seeing anything comparable via google searches.

The question is which one to get...

http://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series/

Made up my mind and bought an HK91 clone [right as this scare hit]. Came with a cleaning kit and I'm wondering what this chain thingy is: new%20promo%20(3%20of%205).jpg

Guessing its a bore snake [kinda hoping it is] but not seeing anything comparable via google searches.

Oops. Forgot to look at the date. Fun rifle but you will see how it works. Still consider trading up to an M1A

I was looking at the wood bodied Scout Squads [in my infancy as a gun nut I got real obsessed with them as one of my first loves] but I couldn't really afford paying near twice as much for a rifle and didn't want to wait until next year. 

Glad I shelled out the extra 200 for a PTR over the C308s though, so many problems already solved. 

there is a ranch by where i live that has zebras you can hunt, though i bet it costs several grand based on the price of more mundane animals to hunt. however if i'm ever that well off I'd want to buy a K31 to shoot said stripey horse with. 

there is a ranch by where i live that has zebras you can hunt, though i bet it costs several grand based on the price of more mundane animals to hunt. however if i'm ever that well off I'd want to buy a K31 to shoot said stripey horse with.

My K31 is great. One thing though, you would want a nice squishy buttpad for it. It kicks like a mule with the steel buttplate.
  • Like 1

Just no.

Shooting penned animals is not hunting.  It is not sport.  And I don't care how big the pen is. 

• Like 3

Just no.

Shooting penned animals is not hunting. It is not sport. And I don't care how big the pen is.

Shooting Zebras? What? No! Edited by Sim_Player

It seems the place is mostly about shooting "Goats" [i'm guessing Ibex or Mountain Goats] and [big Horn] Sheep which honestly squicks me out as if they were offering Golden Retrievers to shoot, and I might feel like a twat if Ranger Rick walks me up to a Zebra 30 yards from the front gate that has about as much a chance of not getting shot as a paper target, but i'd like to at least once shoot a zebra.

oddly enough, even though I'm a brony i kinda find real life horses as they're all veiny and muscular and i guess in my mind really masculine[?] so due to not finding them aesthetically pleasing i could shoot one but not a goat or sheep as i find them cute. white tails are right on the dividing line for me in that regard.

Personally I'd like an open brony season.

...or at least offer the poor bastards therapy.

Liberalism can't be fixed either.

Hey, Bronies don't actively screw up the lives of other people. So they are a few steps above Liberals.
  • Like 1

Hey, Bronies don't actively screw up the lives of other people. So they are a few steps above Liberals.

They're entertaining, in a sick sort of way. **point and laugh**

They're entertaining, in a sick sort of way. **point and laugh**

They would be no less attractive as a wall mount than a zebra.

You MIGHT consider coming to SW OR USA and PONDER about all the target opportunities we have in our small mountain valley town between the hours of midnight and dawn.  The potential targets just wander around.  A sight not to behold.  Just a consideration.  Meth.  :(

• Like 1

Its not so much I'd shoot them because they're not aesthetically pleasing but that I couldn't shoot an animal that is cute, like how most people [myself included] couldn't shoot a Labrador Retriever.

For how much y'all seem to hate goats [and bronies it seems] you sure do love horses. The world sure is a diverse and interesting place.  

Probably around "Content Creators" since I'm still in a Pony RP that's been going for 3 odd years and I cosplay Luna. Since the Brony fandom plateaued and slowed a lot I'm not as fervent but I still enjoy popping the top on a Guinness or Asahi and watching some small colorful horses be magical and friendly.

I've seen people say they hunt moose with 7.5mm Swiss so that answers my question as to if a K31 would be humane for Zebra hunting, though supposedly .30-30 Winchester is still the most popular moose ammo so I guess I could just my PTR if I choose and/or if i realize I'm better off with an optic thus disqualifying the K31.

I've seen people say they hunt moose with 7.5mm Swiss so that answers my question as to if a K31 would be humane for Zebra hunting, though supposedly .30-30 Winchester is still the most popular moose ammo so I guess I could just my PTR if I choose and/or if i realize I'm better off with an optic thus disqualifying the K31.

My K31 has a scope on it. It's offset to the right some but it works alright.

• Like 1