I really hope it's not some rigged shit and they really test them. They should tie them down and do an engine ingestion test first. The A-10 engines will probably eat a small calf without failing. The f35 probably can't handle a bumble bee.

• Like 3

The A-10 is designed for close air support--flying low and relatively slow over a target and shredding it with its cannon.

The F-35 is designed for supersonic air combat.

One is a chisel, the other is a screwdriver, and using either to do the job of the other is flagrantly idiotic.

• Like 4

Or ... flying with this good idea, let us make it greater.  Impress, (draft without consent) the top brass who are polarized on this issue and order them to fly the one they DO LIKE.  THEN make THEM do controlled slow fly byes subjecting each different aircraft to random AAA fire up to 23mm Soviet Stuff.  THEN see which aircraft can take a licken' and keep on tickin'.  Oh .... disable the ejection system.  The Generals, Lawyers and Lobbyists flying the planes must stay with the aircraft.  I wonder if that would change tunes?  Hummm.  :)

• Like 1

Just a thought. What if future close air support will be being handled by a swarm of drones armed with smart bombs and/or cannons?

Take out all enemy armor and fixed positions without putting US airmen in harms way and eliminating the need for the beloved Wharthog?

I agree that a "competition" between the two is kind of silly.

Edited by DaveM

There is no money in the A10 for the complex.

That always ends the matter.

The legacy began with the P-47 may well end with the A-10.

Its more about the weapons systems than the platform anyway now or at least so we are told.

• Like 2

Follow the money.  The day of the Whistling Death, the P47 Jug, the Sky Raider and the Hog are probably gone with the wind.  It may today have nothing to do about a feasible workable aircraft as it is all instead about getting the most profit?  Whether or not the system actually works is non relevant?   Didn't Eisenhower warn us of this stuff?

• Like 1

Yes Ike had a possible twinge of conscience and on his way out condemned the military industrial complex as the greatest threat to the nations security.

Its on youtbe BTW or was a while back.

and here it is

Edited by Rhodes1968
  • Like 1

If I was running things, the A10 would get a rebuild to Thunderbolt III.  Stronger airframe, stronger engines, latest avionics,and it WILL still carry 24 500lb bombs, a full can of 30mm ammo, and still fly with 55% of it's wing surfaces shot off.

Strap 24 500lb bombs to a F-35 and see if it gets off the ground!  Probably won't and the engine would overtorque!!!

• Like 5

Well nothing can be mounted outside the F-35 air frame, blows the stealth profile.

Lots of problems with any aircraft that pushes the envelope, just have to wonder at what point did they push too far.

Great for business though

• Like 1

Over forty five years ago my sister dated the son of a 2 star Air Force general.  He did not and could not even fly.  Had to wear corrective lenses to see.  Fat fucker.  This was in 1968 in Long Beach CA.  Had a very nice home way off base, a provided car with driver and even had a servant.  I was invited over for diner once and had to wear a sport jacket and tie.   At the time it seemed surreal with a distinct East Coast feeling.  At least to me.  Seems things have only gotten worse.

We will probably never see a rebirth of the HOG.  Very unlikely.  Probably we will not see the final completion and successful deployment of the F35 either?  But: it is likely we will see the continued spending of billions of additional tax dollars attempting, (or not attempting) to keep the F35 program.  The Military Industrial Complex alive and very well thank you.  Meanwhile future wars with our troops in the mud requiring real time on time NOW help with NOT be forthcoming?

What would it cost to again start up production of the A10?  Don't ruin it with all the unnecessary bells and whistles, but just another new production run?  Then compare THAT expense per aircraft to that of the F35?  Curious.

i worked across the runway from the old fairchild plant in hagerstown in like 2008.  allegedly the jigs were destroyed (on purpose) awhile back.... so basicaly a long shot....

i too love the airplane, no-one dog fights anymore, or not like in the "good ol" days of ww2.  so that leaves CAS to get your rocks off too.... i would join right now if i knew i had a real decent shot at flying them.....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Why not have them both do a low flyby via remote control while they shoot up at them with AAA. See which survives.

You're close, but missed it. Both are made obsolete by the remote control planes.

The Israeli's want the F-35.

They will probably take the airframe, avionics, and weapon sytems and make it what it was supposed to be.

Much less red tape.

They have better tech than the USA now. 10-20 years of lax security has hurt us badly (foreign hacking).

Even their nukes are said to be better.

Edited by Sim_Player