Palmetto State Armory KS47

post-4831-0-59724800-1462049686_thumb.jpg

MGI Hydra is vaporware.  LAR-47 is pricey and doesn't take drums.  Mutant is pricey and heavy and proprietary. 

With standard AR15 layout/parts, low weight, price under $1k, and takes drums, will this be the AR lower/AK mag design that finally breaks out?

I'll be watching with interest to see if these turn out to be both reliable and available.

EDIT:  One thing I am concerned about is the hard primers in x39 ammo.  It may take a heavy hammer spring for reliable ignition.  Meaning some drop-in triggers may not work.

Edited by Darth Saigus

Like you, I too am waiting for an AR chambered in 7.62x39 that uses AK mags, feeds reliably, doesn't costs a fortune and weigh a ton.

Maybe this is the one, I've never been one to buy-in early so I'll wait and see what bugs crawl out of the cracks.

Price +/-

Weight +

AK mags/drums+

Reliability +/-

Direct impingement -

(Needs a piston)

Carbine length gas system

(Needs a Mid-length)

Parts -

(Not right now, but soon according to PSA)

If you want a piston you will have to pay more, and the benefit is questionable.  The AR design is DI.  If set up right, it works.  The AR is the most popular rifle in America, and 99.9% of them are DI. 

My ARs are all DI.  They all work, whether I built them myself or bought a production model.  All I have done is tune the buffer weight for less wear and tear.

My Sig556R, (piston operated), didn't work at all out of the box.  Or even after it went back to Sig for repair.  My FAL (also piston) wasn't 100% reliable until I opened up the gas port slightly.

Moral of the story is, pistons are not a guarantee of function.

As far as gas system length, mid is better for a 16" 5.56 which has both higher pressure to begin with and higher pressure throughout the cycle.  The x39 pressure starts out lower and drops faster as the bullet travels down the bore due to the higher bullet diameter to case volume ratio.  So a carbine length gas system is certainly not a hindrance.

Parts.  What parts are you referring to?  It's a standard AR.  Thousands of parts already out there to choose from.  Furniture, triggers, all upper parts are standard AR.  The only parts different from a standard AR are the mag catch parts and the trigger guard.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

EDIT:  One thing I am concerned about is the hard primers in x39 ammo.  It may take a heavy hammer spring for reliable ignition.  Meaning some drop-in triggers may not work.

I run the ALG ACT trigger on my x39 AR and it's had 100% primer ignition.  Granted my round count is pretty low at around 400 or so, but it seems to work and the cases have nice dents in the primer.  I also run an extended firing pin too though.  Trigger weight is a little stiff at 5.5-6lbs but the break is clean and crisp.  The biggest obstacle I had was getting the mags to feed reliably, but this one avoids that by using the AK mags.big_smile.gif   I wonder if they'll eventually sell stripped lowers?

Edited by BeatTheTunaUp

Yeah the HK416/MR556 is a different animal.  Not just an AR with a piston slapped on it.  Different enough it's not truly an AR any more.  But even if it's the best piston AR, it's not perfect.  The price to play is in SCAR territory.  And what's with the mag sensitivity?  All my 5.56 rifles need to run with any quality mag.  I'll tolerate some mags not dropping free in some rifles but to choking is not allowed.

Yes, of course.  Never think outside the box.  Never consider something different.  Just do what has always been done.

Have the same thing for dinner every night.  Watch the same movie over and over.  Wear the same shirt and pants every day.

Of course buy an AK.  Buy two.  Buy three.  But at some point you might want something different for dinner.  Or something different to shoot.

• Like 1

I'd like to have one in 10.5". Finally, I could use an AK mag in something that isn't a pain in the ass to mount a dot on and it will be worth using a suppressor on. No, I am not impressed at all with any of the AK optic mounting options. That rail on top of that receiver trumps them all. AR kicks the AK's ass in regards to mounting an optic and suppression. Sorry, just truth. I'm glad to see this offering.

I honestly don't have a lot of time to spend digging for detail. Anyone have a clue as to whether or not the LRBHO works on these? That would be a great improvement over the "click" I must be empty method.

The rifle itself does not have lrbho.  AK mags don't support that.  But BHO mags should work as they do in any AK, and are a big improvement over the "click I must be empty" method.

• Like 1

I don't know why, I just really don't like AR-based x39s. 

Sure, the AR has better ergonomics, better accuracy, and machined aircraft aluminum is better than steel stamped by some drunk commie. 

But the AK is just so loveable in its brutal simplicity. Flawless in all its mistakes. It's hard to beat a rifle you can tear down to rivets in the garage. 

Have always wanted a Valmet too, love the RK 62. Galils are a favorite as well. Just wish I could get them south of $2k. 

RK_62_76.jpg

• Like 1

The rifle itself does not have lrbho.  AK mags don't support that.  But BHO mags should work as they do in any AK, and are a big improvement over the "click I must be empty" method.

I was just curious if they came up with a tricky way to do it. Maybe the PA BHO followers would work with it.

I don't know why, I just really don't like AR-based x39s. 

Sure, the AR has better ergonomics, better accuracy, and machined aircraft aluminum is better than steel stamped by some drunk commie. 

But the AK is just so loveable in its brutal simplicity. Flawless in all its mistakes. It's hard to beat a rifle you can tear down to rivets in the garage. 

Have always wanted a Valmet too, love the RK 62. Galils are a favorite as well. Just wish I could get them south of $2k. 

RK_62_76.jpg

I really don't like them either. It would just be nice to have something in 7.62x39 that would be easy to mount an optic on and suppress. A Magpul K2 grip would be great too ;)

I was just curious if they came up with a tricky way to do it. Maybe the PA BHO followers would work with it.

I converted all my Tapco slabsides to weapontech bho followers and I plan to do all my steel as well. Once you get used to the lrbho you just don't want to go back. Edited by Darth Saigus

Nothing I would spend my money on, but this is an interesting (if not practical) concept. Still no LRBHO.

I've handled and fired some of Windham's products and based on the admittedly small sampling I've seen, I'd consider them to be pretty damn top notch. 

post-28103-0-73575000-1462306755.jpg

My Sig556R, (piston operated), didn't work at all out of the box.  Or even after it went back to Sig for repair.

Hello, Darth

Is your Sig the version 1 or 2? I've only shot 500 rounds or so out of my gen. 2 556R, but I've been amazed by the infallible reliability of it. That's shooting steel cased, brass cased, handloads, whatever.

Now, my AR-47's, on the other hand, not so much. They were assembled with the best stuff available. I suspect the ASC mag's may be a large part of the problem, I haven't really pursued solutions since I purchased the Sig. Maybe one of those PSA lowers will be the trick ticket.

-Guido in TX

I wonder if any other Infantrymen out there would ever own an AR platform after they become a civilian?

Only the majority of them from what I can tell.

Hello

It appears the KS47 lowers only work with KS47 uppers. It also appears that the only way to obtain an upper from PSA is to purchase either an assembled upper (not the greatest components, in my opinion) or a kit (same components). They don't appear to be eager to sell stripped KS47 uppers, or at least I couldn't find them on the PSA site.

So much for remodeling my AR-47's to accept AK mag's.

-Guido in TX

KS47 lower works with any spec AR upper. Mutant only works with Mutant.

And yes I know several Marines and infantry that love ARs. It is not my preferred platform but I don't hate it. I have several.

Edited by Darth Saigus

KS47 lower works with any spec AR upper. Mutant only works with Mutant.

And yes I know several Marines and infantry that love ARs. It is not my preferred platform but I don't hate it. I have several.

It says on the site that the KS 47 lower only works with the KS 47 upper receivers.  I called and asked about them offering stripped uppers.  This is the reply that I got.

"Hello,

We aren't notified of any upcoming changes to stock until the day of. I can only imagine this is on the list of items that will be for purchase. Sorry for the holdup!

Best regards,"   

I would assume this is something that will be on the site soon.  I'm fine waiting, as I want to SBR mine anyway.  They have posted on their site that serialized items may take up to 15 days to ship.  I will be picking up my lower at a LGS tomorrow.  It shipped out the day after I ordered it.

Go to 4:15.  The PSA rep says any spec 7.62x39 upper will work.  So there is a disconnect in the information that is being presented.  I believe the information on the website is just worded wrong.  I emailed PSA for clarification.  I guess we'll see.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

My Sig556R, (piston operated), didn't work at all out of the box. Or even after it went back to Sig for repair.

Now, my AR-47's, on the other hand, not so much. They were assembled with the best stuff available. I suspect the ASC mag's may be a large part of the problem, I haven't really pursued solutions since I purchased the Sig.

-Guido in TX

I modded my my asc mags (dremeled like a bitch), ran a h2 buffer weight, and dremeled the m4 feed ramps to fit 30 cal bullets. My ar47 pistol runs like a champ now. PM me if you need any pics of the mags to see how much material to remove. Edited by BeatTheTunaUp

Go to 4:15.  The PSA rep says any spec 7.62x39 upper will work.  So there is a disconnect in the information that is being presented.  I believe the information on the website is just worded wrong.  I emailed PSA for clarification.  I guess we'll see.

Definitely post when you get a response.  I didn't think to ask about it when i emailed/called.  I just went by the info I got from the site.

I picked up my lower today, and it seems to be very well made, at least from a visual inspection.  

Hello

I'm thinking since the lower is a billet machined model (it is, right?) it probably needs to be married-up to it's "sister" machined upper. I suppose they could make it fit a mil-spec forged and machined upper, but all of the billet receivers I've encountered have been manufactured as a set.

From reading a little deeper on their site it appears the uppers are just deeply backordered.

Still hoping to score a couple sets when they reappear.

-Guido in TX