Work until you die.  You are going to love so much being a teacher.  One of those jobs where you wake up in the morning EAGER to go to work.  The best job I ever had was driving a fire engine.  You are a teacher.  Enjoy!  :)

Finished my first day of observations at a high school in a neighboring district. What a great group of folks to work with! The teachers were great guys and the kids were shockingly polite! I know this is probably the exception, but I'm impressed.

• Like 3

Be straight with the kids. They can sniff out bullshit like a blood hound. If you earn their respect, they will reward you with their attention. Bullshit them and they give you just what they deserve!

• Like 2

Teaching is currently winning.

That gets my vote. How much you enjoy teaching really depends alot on the school and the administration. We have two high schools in our area with more than 3000 kids at each school. One school has high turnover and the other never has openings. The schools are 4 miles apart and basically have the same demographics of kids. One has a great admin and the other sucks. My wife taught at the one with the great admin and she loved it. I spend alot of time at the school and all the teachers basically love their job. 4 miles down the road, not the same story. 

• Like 1

I'm finishing my 21st year teaching at an inner city high school.  Most of the time Engineering or Aviation classes.  Also did a few years (1 full time and 8 part time) at a Community College.  By far the Community College was more pleasant and interesting.  The students were motivated and interested in the subject.  High school can be hit or miss in terms of students and staff.  If you enjoy teaching it is a great career.  If you don't get along well with students and aren't flexible it can be torture.  Like many jobs it is what you make it.

Doug

• Like 1