Choice Between Saiga 12 Or Saiga 7.62x51? ....

Given the choice between a 7 year old NIB Saiga 12 19" and a NIB 7 year old Saiga 7.62x51 16.3". Which would you choose to keep and why?   We are downsizing.  Can only keep one. Reasoning?

Edited by HB of CJ

Selling price of an in box new 7.62 is a reason to sell the Saiga 7.62 if you are looking at financial advantage. Worth more than the 12 guage in the market place. Look at Gunbroker and the pricing of the 7.62 vs S12, might help in your decision process.

Edited by machinist
  • Like 4

As an owner of both I can say without hesitation................Keep em both :)

Seiously though I would probably keep the 308. With the VEPR 12 out and relatively cheap, the saigas just aren't as attractive as they used to be. JMHO

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 5

For me, the S-12. If I didn't have more rifles than shotguns (and 2 them in 7.62x51) it'd be a tough choice due to the versatility of the shotgun vs the range of the rifle. 

• Like 1

I can not say.  There are good rules in this Forum which I must respect.  They can be advertised in the appropriate for sale section, but it would not be correct nor nice for me to say here.  If they both go they may be properly advertised.  Even me saying this may be shaving the edge too closely.  HB

The Saiga 12 is more collectable and will gain in value. The Molot .308 trumps the Izhmash so it's not that special or rare. Stick with the scattergun!

You know the Saiga 308 has a heavier barrel than the Vepr 308?

I didn't until I tried to install Krebs vepr hand guard on my Saiga.

Aside from the out of the box appearance, are you really getting that much more use from the heavier receiver or rpk trunion?

I get 3/4" groups @100 using Hornady 179 grain 308 from my saiga 308. Keith had built several other saiga 308 that have got 1" groupings reported, and none of the Vepr owners have reported back as much.

So I'd say the Saiga 308 maybe the only saiga rifle that can compete with the vepr.

Though for this thread, I'd say keep the 12 because there are A LOT of 308s that can do what saiga does, but only other competitors for the 12 are vepr.

• Like 2

Do you need the money NOW? Or is this an investment for future profit? If you are looking for $$$$ NOW sell the S-12.

If you are looking for longer term profits, sell both and invest the money in either AK's or AR's. Buy in quantity

to get the discount (usually 5 or more) the more you buy at the same time the bigger the discount.

THEN sell them in October when the market goes bonzo again.

• Like 1

Do you need the money NOW? Or is this an investment for future profit? If you are looking for $$$$ NOW sell the S-12.

If you are looking for longer term profits, sell both and invest the money in either AK's or AR's. Buy in quantity

to get the discount (usually 5 or more) the more you buy at the same time the bigger the discount.

THEN sell them in October when the market goes bonzo again.

Just be aware that your playing with a selling firearms without a license charge.
  • Like 1

All advice subject to the strict adherence to Federal, State, and local law.

There should be enough value in the items mentioned to make a decent profit AND pay for the proper licensing!

• Like 2

Grandkids are home schooled and went on some cool field trips.  Obligations incurred.  We will probably wait until the craziness starts back up just before or after the Presidential elections.  We are not FFL holders, but can casual sell person to person within Oregon with no license, otherwise interstate through our local friendly FFL gun shop to the buyers FFL.   We will see.  Right now I want to keep the S12 and convert.

Licensing is for those in the BUSINESS of selling firearms. I have sold many guns and will sell more as part of my 2nd right. Fuck licensing.

I hear ya. Ive just read some conflicting definition of in business.

The ATF says "dedicated times, buys and sells as a means of livelihood ", but I've heard on them making arrest over only a few guns in a year. So I myself wouldn't buy many at once with the intent to sell, as I've also read that it equates to "inventory ".

I'm not a lawyer by any means and was just offering another perspective . Maybe is useful to somebody.

• Like 1