Wife let me order a 9 mm ar kit from Datona Tactical , also ordered a polymer 80% lower.

It all shoul be in hand in a few weeks.

Cannot find c mags in 10rd.

Not sure if I want 20 rounder or 32.

$502 for kit, $62 for lower.

For a woman who said no more guns I definitely know she loves me.

• Like 6

If you want 32 round quality mags, check Palmetto State Armory periodically for smoking good deals on quality Metalform mags. I've never had any issues with C mags or Metalform, avoid Promag like the plague. I think PSA has the 32 rounders for around $20 right now, but a few times a year they'll throw a bunch out for sale at $8-$10ea.

9mm seems like a poor fit to the poly lower. You might want to switch over to aluminum for this one. Since it is simple blow back, the lower actually takes some force, unlike .223 with a locked breech.

• Like 1

9mm seems like a poor fit to the poly lower. You might want to switch over to aluminum for this one. Since it is simple blow back, the lower actually takes some force, unlike .223 with a locked breech.

I disagree. Polymer handles shock better than aluminum. Aluminum will dent and crack under an impact that will only deform polymer momentarily, then spring back to its original shape.

Also, if there is concern about the hammer pin holes opening, KNS pins offer additional support and wear prevention, especially if you loctite the hammer pin to the receiver and pin supports.

I was basing that off of the number of other people who have had poly lowers crack with pistol caliber ARs, using lowers which work fine with .223.

• Like 2

Where the buffer tube threads join the body. Takes the impact of the carrier. 9mm ARs use a heavier carrier and no locking lugs, so it's just spring weight and impact that decelerates the bolt. This means substantially more spring pressure and more impact than the locked breech setups. People tend to think pistol caliber can get away with weaker than rifle caliber, but it is actually the other way around. a poly has to be rigid plastic to function keeping all the moving parts in their place, so it can't just flex to deal with the beating. This means it fractures at the wrist. It isn't like a UHMW anvil can spread out the shock.

If there could be thick plastic, it can surive, but plastic in the shape of aluminum doesn't do well. this includes 80% types and the New frontier, etc. designs. I think there may be a plastic 80% that goes off of the milspec dimensions on this area by thickening externally and may do OK, but I forget which brand this might be. There are complete lowers made stronger in that area.

Cav Arms makes one with an integral A2 stock that seems to hold up to the hammering fine though from what my research shows. It is a good way to build a durable ultralight gun.

The 80% polymer lowers I've been using (EP Armory) are thicker in that area than a milspec forged aluminum lower, except for 12:00 where the charging handle has to clear.

Were the failures you reference pistol builds with naked buffer tubes, or were they SBR/rifle builds with shoulder stocks? I would think shouldering a stock would transfer some of the impact shock from the buffer tube threads to the shoulder of the shooter.

Both, but it has been a few months since my research on the topic. I don't remember exactly which brands. 

I was/am looking to assemble a 9mm AR to live on a boat for rough use. I wanted tough, light and a minimum of dissimilar metal contact. Plastic has an advantage there.

I am getting a Genesis CNC 80% polymer lower.

It is beefier than others I have seen. If it brakes it brakes , this for fun.

Got 2 32 round Cmags coming.

Buying , building, banging is what it is all about

• Like 1

Wife let me order an AK under-folder kit, after she said no more guns.

I love my girl!

She may be getting her first pistol soon. She never showed any desire until now.

Her co-worker's grandparents just had an intruder that stabbed the grandpa but, grandma shot and killed the intruder.

Grandpa had sections of his gut removed and is stable today.

I don't think it even made Seattle's news.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

Lotta stuff like that. We had a guy in custody who killed an elderly couple with a claw hammer in their house and took their land rover. I never saw a thing about it on the news. (About 3 hours east of you a few years back.)

I also know of  a guy who had a new years drinking party in which a guest's weird friend decided to try to choke him to death. he fled to his room and grabbed an AK he didn't really know how to use (that he had been foolishly showing off earlier). Asked the guy to leave. The guy instead tackled him and started choking him with the sling. He eventually fumbled the mag in, chambered, fired. That was Seattle area last year. Never saw anything about that in the news either. No charges filed, if I have my facts straight.

I for one am interested to see how this turns out.

The Genesis lower has treaded brass for buffer tube and is beefed more it appears than my other polymers, so we will see.

Mags jus came from J&L, lower should be here tomorrow and the kit in about an other week.

Thinking about making my own mag loader.

Edited by jerry52

Loaded new mags to compress the springs for a few weeks then I will unload them and remove the springs an buff them.

Kit and lower will be here tomorrow. And the fun begins.

Might mill out lower Saturday if I do not get called out but the odds are against that. But it will happen when it happens.

Semper299, on 13 May 2016 - 2:31 PM, said:

I've debated 9mm build for a long time. Several friends have done it, and they turned out great. 

Same here. Still waiting on a nice Vityaz clone for a 9mm AK.

In the meantime been contemplating a QC10 dedicated 9mm AR (really wanted to do a .357sig but it's never available). Now that PSA has their in house dedicated 9mm lowers and uppers, using Colt sticks, it's getting harder to fight the temptation.

• 4 weeks later...

Well after the off and on milling of my 80% Genesis CNC lower. I got Friday off (something that has not happened for years) and put the 9mm build together. Today I got to sleep in untill Noon ( something that also never happens). Tweeked the adapter feed ramp and mags for good feeding. Later I will take the whole gun down for polishing and Frog Lube.

Here it is!

http://forum.saiga-12.com/uploads/gallery/gallery/album_1231/med_gallery_23546_1231_40026.jpeg

• Like 1

It is a 50 yard gun but will I will run in from 10 to 25 yards( going to be fun)

I have a pistol ha ha so never could see building and AR style pistol .

My favorite 9mm is my sig 250 with the small grip awesome gun.

Edited by jerry52

It is a 50 yard gun but will I will run in from 10 to 25 yards( going to be fun)

I have a pistol ha ha so never could see building and AR style pistol .

My favorite 9mm is my sig 250 with the small grip awesome gun.

Don't sell the 9mm Carbine short.  I'm shooting Lawman 147s out of a 14.5" barrel zeroed at 50 yards.  They only drop 7.5" at 100 yards and still carry almost 250 ft-lb of energy.  Easy to hit 100 yard targets, just put the dot on top and pull the trigger.

Doug

• Like 1