My first M57 Yugo Tokarev thread is quite the shit-show at this point [mostly my fault] and is about me buying one, I bought one so I figure I'll make a new thread about it.

Currently I'm wondering what I should do to clean it. It came with a plastic bristled brush but you're not supposed to put solvent on that so what do I buy to clean out the barrel with Hoppes? 

And just to check again, you're not supposed to shove the brush down the end of the barrel the opposite direction a bullet would go as that might damage the crown, correct?

You need a rod with a slot or pokey thing for patches. Brush the barrel to remove debris then saturate a patch and push it through. Continue with wet patches til they come out clean, then run a dry patch to remove the excess fluid.

Brass brushes usually work pretty good too.

This how I would do it:

Get a .30 cal brush, a short cleaning rod, run some bore cleaner through (if it's foam, fill the bore with it, then let sit for a minute or two), run the brush through (ideally) from chamber to muzzle. Scrub back and forth about 5 or 6 times, but don't allow the brush to fully exit the muzzle before pulling it back through each time. If it does, just be careful re-inserting the brush back into the bore as some cleaning rods will not perfectly align with the threads of the brush, and could potentially damage the crown if forced. If your handgun allows for easy access from the chamber side, use a jag (pointy thing) and appropriately sized patches for .30 cal. If you are only able to clean from the muzzle end, use a pull-through, inserting the rod into the muzzle, then installing the patch from the chamber side and pulling through the bore.

Also, if you can, I highly suggest purchasing some Dewey cleaning rods. They've made cleaning my firearms a breeze compared to the Walmart Winchester kits. The rifle and shotgun rods are one-piece coated with ball bearing handles, and the handgun cleaning rods are one-piece brass with non-rotating handles.

• Like 2

Well, it'd be easier to use a pistol length cleaning rod, but I suppose if you want to use a rifle length to have for other long guns, you could... It'd just be a little awkward using it. Definitely need a .30 cal rod/brush/jag or pull-through, though.

Ah, I was unsure if there was such a thing as a 7.62mm pistol cleaning rod. I wondered if a 9mm one would be too big and a .22lr one too small. 

If you ever need to know, just convert millimeters to inches. 7.62, for example, is right around 300/1000th's of an inch, thus .30 cal. A 9mm would be a little too big for a 7.62 bore as it's made for .35.

The kit that Heartbreaker mentioned would be a good investment for you to have, but like I said earlier, you will probably eventually want to upgrade some stuff. I've been through about 3 Winchester's and I'm on the second one of those metal-cased Gunmaster cleaning kits. Pieces just tend to fail after awhile, get worn out, threads strip, etc. However, it's good to have on hand for a quick cleaning job.

• Like 1

Are you shooting good non corrosive ammo?  If so, just run a dry brush through the barrel several time, then follow with a dry tight patch on the swag.  Then a damp oil patch.  The dropped trigger housing group just needs a little bit of oil.  Then oil up the rest gently.  That is all you need.  Fun gun to shoot.  Be amazed what you can hit at long range with a couple of tries.  Enjoy.  HB :)

Use mineral spirits to remove the cosmoline. Dunk it in a tank or tub of MS and let it soak for a half hour, pull it out and dump it in hot ass water for a few seconds then blow it out with a compressed air gun. Then, apply oil as usual to protect finish and lubricate contact points. You can also use kerosene but its a bit more nasty. Dont put the grips in there.

I'll probably try the bore snake [and google how to use it if its not terribly obvious].

Onwards, is the Wolf Gold Tpkarev ammo as powerful as I've been lead to believe? As in, is it the most forceful ammunition available or is it no deifferent than PPU for all intents and purposes?

This is what I like about this forum, always someone with the patience to help.

I agree.

I haven't run wolf in the tokarev yet. The ppu works fine. It doesn't feel as hot as surplus of that helps any.

Every bit does. I plan to buy some Wolf if its still in stock once other impending expenses are covered, figured I'd ask if the hype was real first. I remember seeing some loads that were listed only safe in a CZ-52 because of the heavier spring in it.

Not sure on the PPU or Wolf but I have S&B and surplus. There is always RAS available too and it isn't that poorly priced considering current ammo pricing on Com calibers. Go with a bore snake for cleaning side of it. Much easier than trying to play around with multiple pieces of kit having to be placed together and run a certain way.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Can you dry-fire an M57? I'm getting a Ramlite and I was thinking I could practice "firing" it and not pushing the barrel left as I tend to. Not sure if people make 7.62x25 snap-caps.