Rust On Vepr Front Trunnion? - What Should I Do?

So,I picked up a Vepr a couple weeks ago. Just recently had a chance to fiddle with it. Took it apart to do a basic clean and lube and noticed a muddy reddish substance which looks like rust (but hopefully not) on the front trunnion at about the 8 to 11 o'clock position. It looks like it's just on the surface, but it still doesn't sit well with me. I read on another forum that it can be caused from a liquid they use during manufacturing when mating the parts in that area and that it may not necessarily be rust. I don't know if I buy that, but I'm no expert. 

The thing is, it's in a hard to reach area. I tried to get a small piece of sand paper in there to sand it off, but I couldn't manage to reach it. I also sprayed some WD-40 in there. 

If it is indeed rust, what's the best course of action to take? Thanks in advance.   

post-23616-0-56312800-1463243816_thumb.jpg

Navy Gel lee.  Most good paint shops will have it.  It is the big brother of paint remover.  Nasty stuff but works.  Used in the marine industry for years to remove rust, paint, old steel, corrosion, human bodies, etc.  Neat stuff but ... Yikes!, be careful.  Do not get the stuff on you or any fumes into your lungs.  Gloves AND Eye protection especially if you use a paint brush.  The stuff will slop and sling off a paint brush. Death is the easy part.  Do not ask how I know this to be true.  Embarrassing.  I was just a kid.

Linux Mint 17 spell check sucks totally.  I want the people responsible executed.  But then again the software is in free domain so why am I complaining?  Answer is I am having a bad day. Shit. :(

It's only cosmoline, a very thick oil based preservative, We use it on some jet parts, but only after warming it up in an old fashion coffee pot. Stuff is super hard to get out of the can.

Heat and/ or hot water will remove it.

Most foreign guns are packed with that stuff. Nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

It's only cosmoline, a very thick oil based preservative, We use it on some jet parts, but only after warming it up in an old fashion coffee pot. Stuff is super hard to get out of the can.

Heat and/ or hot water will remove it.

Most foreign guns are packed with that stuff. Nothing to worry about.

It's only in that one area though. With cosmoline, don't they usually cover the entire firearm (or at least the metal parts) with it? I'm going to pour some boiling water on it or put some hot steam to it to see if it runs off.   

Sorry to say this but as a retarded, (also retired) RN navy gel can do you great hurt.  Be careful with that shit.  Dousing with high pressure cold water will spray that shit all over including onto your skin and into your eyes.   Just saying.  Trying to pass safety forward.  That is all.  HB

Sorry to say this but as a retarded, (also retired) RN navy gel can do you great hurt.  Be careful with that shit.  Dousing with high pressure cold water will spray that shit all over including onto your skin and into your eyes.   Just saying.  Trying to pass safety forward.  That is all.  HB

Thanks for the heads up!   

Well,I poured generous amounts of boiling water into the area, and it didn't budge, so I'm chalking it up to surface rust or maybe a rust stain(?) I'm almost tempted to send it in for warranty work, but I'm not sure if they would do anything with it that I can't just do myself, and without having to wait weeks,possibly months to get it back.   

I'm considering using the Navy Jelly. Will it remove any of the factory finish that it comes in contact with? Obviously,I don't want that. 

This is of NO consequence whatsoever!

Forget its there and go about your business

I'm sure you're probably right, but little nitpicking stuff like that bugs the heck out of me. Plus,I don't want what is now surface rust to possibly become deep pitted rust in the future if it goes unchecked, especially on the front trunnion of all places. 

I'm sure you're probably right, but little nitpicking stuff like that bugs the heck out of me. Plus,I don't want what is now surface rust to possibly become deep pitted rust in the future if it goes unchecked, especially on the front trunnion of all places. 

it would take a decade of salt water to make that part fail

it would take a decade of salt water to make that part fail

Well,that certainly puts me at ease. I might just degrease the area and spray it with a rust inhibiting paint that matches the factory finish as close as possible.   

Same stuff seen all over various type of AKs inner crevices.

You could also spray small amount of penetrating fluid such as PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, let sit over night, and blast out with compressed air.

• Like 1

Muriatic Acid is also great for removing rust.

Just make sure that you rinse with a solution of baking soda or lots of distilled water (low minerals), dry and then oil.

It works great on tools and car parts too.

I ended up using Evapo-rust. I'm not sure what's in it, all I can say is... IT WORKS! All the rust in that area is gone. I had tried standard WD-40 and then some WD-40 rust release penetrant, but they didn't do anything. I just let the Evapo-rust soak for a few hours, then wash it out with a water hose, blast the area with compressed air until the metal is bone dry, then sprayed it with high-temp engine paint. Done!