Question: S-12 'plastic' handguard

what handguard did you have on the gun now?

the handguard on my s12 goes into the front of the reciver like any ak handguard, and sorta stretch around the barrel, and is mounted by a forward screw that is screwed to a threaded block on the underside of the barrel.

the handguard on my s12 goes into the front of the reciver like any ak handguard, and sorta stretch around the barrel, and is mounted by a forward screw that is screwed to a threaded block on the underside of the barrel.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I have a standard S-12 'plastic' (I think phenolic is the proper term) forend, I am looking for a handguard to fit on top of the gas tube.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I have a standard S-12 'plastic' (I think phenolic is the proper term) forend, I am looking for a handguard to fit on top of the gas tube.

You would have to trim down the sides of the lower hg plus rig up some upper hg retainers to add an upper hg.

I'm confronting the same question. Here is a current ebay auction for an authentic Saiga forward grip with rail:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

This fwd grip limits you to using a verticle grip configuration. Try holding this without a verticle grip and it gets awkward not to mention painful after many rounds. Same for the Halo aluminum grip soon to be released. The Halo looks shit-hot period! But functionally, if you plan to shoot with a verticle grip 100% of the time - great. If you want the option of using other configuations, I am not sure. First, the HK sights look great, but they cannot be used with a Kobra scope (may/may not be important to you). Second, the open design combined with the S12 recoil may chew up your hands. Unless you want to shoot with gloves all of the time, this might pose some problems if holding the fwd grip while firing. Third ..... the HK sights look very cool and would be very effective for LE but probably not the best choice for hunting. For hunting and fast moving targets, the Krebs sight works well and is compatible with the Kobra sights. Another option is a TDI AK grip. This grip's picatinny rail system runs flush with the bottom of TDI forward grip and with a TDI rail cover installed, should pose no problem if you choose to fire without the verticle grip. It also has two mounts on either side for convenient snap on/off equipment like Surefire lasers or lights. It provides multiple configurations comfortably and effectivly. It does run shorter than a standard S12 guard and an outstanding builder I am working with is looking to see if it will fit - stayed tuned. The last option is just have the S12 standard forward grip fitted with a picatinny rail. Works great, lasts a long time, and affords you multiple configurations comfortably as long as you install a TDI rail cover - simple stupid. Just remember, most AK grips are shorter than the standard S12 grip so there could be some mounting issues. What it comes down to is what you plan to do with the weapon. For me I need a weapon that can handle multiple configurations comfortablly and quickly.

post-1817-1140740851.gif

post-1817-1140741202.gif

Edited by rocketman320
I'm confronting the same question. Here is a current ebay auction for an authentic Saiga forward grip with rail:

I think what he means by a plastic handguard is that he wants a real "AK looking" handguard like a lot of people. This requires extensive modification to an AK handguard and especially the retainer flanges, but there have been a few guys who have done it which you can see if you look around here.

The problem with the ebay one is that it is just a sporter handguard with something stuck on it.

post-1629-1140754656.jpg

Very gay.

I think what he means by a plastic handguard is that he wants a real "AK looking" handguard like a lot of people. This requires extensive modification to an AK handguard and especially the retainer flanges, but there have been a few guys who have done it which you can see if you look around here.

The problem with the ebay one is that it is just a sporter handguard with something stuck on it.

post-1629-1140754656.jpg

Very gay.

In all fairness, a single molded piece is a LOT stronger than a sporter handguard with something stuck on it. Also, the fact that the rail is aligned horizontally also makes it superior to the original unit with a screwed on rail. And lastly, there's a proper side-mounted sling swivel.

Speaking as someone who's getting by (albeit not quite satisfied) with a sporter handguard that has something stuck on it, I think this thing is much improved. Not worth 90$, but definitely better.

I guess that may make my shotgun "gay"...if there is such a thing. :donatello::donatello::donatello:

You are right, the one molded piece feature is better than screwing a rail on a stock handguard, but what I was getting at is that any kind of "sporter" stock is offensive when you consider that the S12 is an AK. The problem started when they had to "sporterize" the thing to be allowed to import it without hurting anybody's feelings, i.e. make it conform to the unconstitutional (i.e. illegal) requirement that a firearm has to be "sporting" to be legal. That bullshit needs to be fought and overturned.

So while doing the FCG and PG conversion does help a lot in putting the gun back to the way it should be, what the thing really needs is the real AK front handguards.

post-1629-1140765351_thumb.jpg

Spending money to replace the sporterized front handguard with another sporterized handguard is like admitting defeat.

You are right, the one molded piece feature is better than screwing a rail on a stock handguard, but what I was getting at is that any kind of "sporter" stock is offensive when you consider that the S12 is an AK. The problem started when they had to "sporterize" the thing to be allowed to import it without hurting anybody's feelings, i.e. make it conform to the unconstitutional (i.e. illegal) requirement that a firearm has to be "sporting" to be legal. That bullshit needs to be fought and overturned.

So while doing the FCG and PG conversion does help a lot in putting the gun back to the way it should be, what the thing really needs is the real AK front handguards.

post-1629-1140765351_thumb.jpg

Spending money to replace the sporterized front handguard with another sporterized handguard is like admitting defeat.

Doesnt make much difference IMO. Even if you do a mod to get AK handguards (that cant be removed?), you still dont have that gas block, rear sight block, hinged top cover, magazine well, magazines, last round hold open, etc etc etc.

Edited by clange

You can do the rear sight block & removable gas tube/handguards. Those are typical AK characteristics.

I've done that on my S-410 and now my S-20. I don't see why it can't be done with the S-12 as well.

The sight/gas block, hinged top cover, magwell & mags are specific to the EXP01-030 swat 12.

Just my 2 cents... :haha:

Um, the military S-12s used by spec ops in Russia have the same handguards as we do. Seems to me the SWAT model was a later development.

Folks elsewhere in the world use the "sporting" handguards too because they like them. I happen to like them better than the AK military ones.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated at folks talking like it's our patriotic obligation to change our handguards.

Um, the military S-12s used by spec ops in Russia have the same handguards as we do. Seems to me the SWAT model was a later development.

Folks elsewhere in the world use the "sporting" handguards too because they like them. I happen to like them better than the AK military ones.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated at folks talking like it's our patriotic obligation to change our handguards.

Ah, good point, yeah I was thinking of the swat model.

Went through some pics..

Saiga_12K.jpg

chech41.jpg

I like them better too, more to hold on to, but I have to admit if I could have all the swat stuff I'd take it. :)