66.5 lb for a fat fifty full of GT.  That's  not horrible.  A quick and dirty approximation says a 40mm can full of GT would tip the scales just over 100 lb.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1

Burry beyond three feet, if that's your intent.

I've been metal detecting for 25 years.

Trashy burried metal makes detecting extremely hard.

Junkyards would be a nightmare.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

I use 40mm cans for my 7.62x39 since i have more of that than any other caliber. I use regular 50cal cans for my 556, 1k rounds of wolf gold fits with a little bit of ingenuity. 50cal cans get used for 22lr, 12g, and 308 as well. For all my oddball rounds (300blk, 6.8spc, etc) i use 30cal cans simply because i have no intention of stocking heavily on them.

E.t.a. i recently had the extreme displeasure of having the upstairs kitchen sink spring a leak that went unchecked for a couple weeks. Guess where all my stuff is stored? You got it, directly beneath the kitchen sink downstairs. Nothing was damaged except for a couple drop ceiling panels but i gotta tell ya, moving all that shit to another location in the house to let it all dry out was a real p.i.t.a. Those 40mm ammo cans fully loaded were a real bitch to move. Everything is now back in its proper place but it really opened my eyes how long it would really take to load it all into a vehicle if need be. It sure as hell wouldnt be quick!

Edited by Lupin8or
  • Like 1

Got back from the Grants Pass Oregon gun show.  Small.  Lots of black rifles.  A little ammo.  Very little .22rf.  Very high prices.  Totally devoid of paying customers.  Extremely quiet.  We got eight, (8) .30 cal. excellent condition like new ammo cans for $10.00 each.  He did not want to re load them back on the truck.  Reestablished contacts.  Then we all went to Taco Bell for a fun special lunch on me.  Barely made it back to Cave Junction!  Shit.  Do not eat at Taco Bell!  Sunday, 22 May, 2016.  That is all. :) :)

I go .30 cal cans for moving, .50 cal and 40MM cans for perm storage. I have the .30 cal down to a science on 7.62x39. I have thought about breaking down my 7N6 can into a new open-able can with a handle but have not seen a way to move it all and have it fit perfectly into a new can. I run desiccant in all the storage ones. There is a fun game to doing it. Like ammo Tetris every time I have to reorganize. Can make a boring day interesting

• Like 1

Worked on getting my stash organized this weekend. My local source for like new 40mm cans for $18/ea has now dried up. I bought the last four on Saturday. I have run out of cans and still have around 6 cases of various stuff to transfer. Ordered a couple more 40mms and also trying (3) fat .50s at the recommendation of this thread.

post-37530-0-52100500-1463968156_thumb.jpeg post-37530-0-82554700-1463968216_thumb.jpeg

Currently holding (11) 40mm cans, (1) .50, (6) .30s. If my calculations are correct, it should hold an additional (10) 40mm, (8) fat .50s, (14) .30s, and still have room for boxes of spare mags. Definitely not ideal for bug out, but it will have to do until I can build a walk in safe room for my ammo and food storage.

• Like 1

Wonder if anybody makes a tiny electric dolly or dinky forklift able to lift and move 1000 pounds?  They had such 45 years ago for the household furniture moving and small commercial moves, but I do not know about today.  I worked lumping for a moving company in San Francisco in 1970.

Such a dinky tiny electric folk lift would be very handy indeed.  Some of our larger potted indoor plants are in a big pot.  We use a big 2 wheel dollie to move them around.  Such an electric version would be cool moving around or transporting our cool huge expensive ammo cans and stuff.

Smaller than a big pallet jack.  The one we had years ago did go up stairways, but was slow.  I am thinking of something very small and compact that folds up when not in use.  We used them for heavy furniture, garage stuff and big pianos.  Kinda like a manual four wheel furniture dolly but slightly bigger, battery powered and had a detachable long flat blade like a 2 wheeler.  Had a handle like a kids wagon with controls.

We will find out how much a packed .30 cal can weights full of lose .22rf ammo.  Of course it will be worth slightly less than a can full of Krugerrands. :)  Slightly less. :)

Wonder if anybody makes a tiny electric dolly or dinky forklift able to lift and move 1000 pounds?  They had such 45 years ago for the household furniture moving and small commercial moves, but I do not know about today.  I worked lumping for a moving company in San Francisco in 1970.

Such a dinky tiny electric folk lift would be very handy indeed.  Some of our larger potted indoor plants are in a big pot.  We use a big 2 wheel dollie to move them around.  Such an electric version would be cool moving around or transporting our cool huge expensive ammo cans and stuff.

Here you go. They use them to move safes.

http://www.powermate.info

• Like 1

There are small electric forklifts and even foldable manual ones.. The machine shop we used a bunch in the past had one of the manual ones. Some of the manual ones come with turf tires for going off concrete.

I have a crown 20MT pallet stacker that I got used/broken for $250 (had to replace about $20 in parts), which is about the size of a pallet truck but can lift 1 ton to a little over 10 feet.. Great for loading and unloading a few pallets or machines off a truck. Only major downside is the batteries are limited and it can't leave pavement.

• Like 2

Do take the time to evaluate the load capacity of the floor where you put it! In a house you may need to add a support beam.

Basement on an 8" concrete slab. It ain't going anywhere.

Just remember not to put your all your eggs in one basket! A few here, a few there. An extra over here. Something up there.....

Some day a treasure hunter will find the shit I forgot about years ago.

This is what I have in the house....not everything I have. ;)

• Like 1

There are small electric forklifts and even foldable manual ones.. The machine shop we used a bunch in the past had one of the manual ones. Some of the manual ones come with turf tires for going off concrete.

I have a crown 20MT pallet stacker that I got used/broken for $250 (had to replace about $20 in parts), which is about the size of a pallet truck but can lift 1 ton to a little over 10 feet.. Great for loading and unloading a few pallets or machines off a truck. Only major downside is the batteries are limited and it can't leave pavement.

I've done a lot of stuff with the hand crank equivalent of one of those. Boss at the time wouldn't let me use the forklift, and I wasn't going to wait on getting someone else to run it. I moved parts, 40' steel , squared big machines. It made me want one, almost more than the powered tool simply because of how light and basic the thing was. All hoisting done with a ratcheting hand crank and compound pulleys. Handy tool.

• Like 1

Fat fifty cans are perfect size for eight MTM large magnum rifle boxes.

176 rounds of 338lm with a little room for desiccant pack or loaded mags or whatever in the cavity in the center.

GTG for air travel or a weekend trip to the desert for yoties or prairie dogs.

post-39558-0-07527000-1464216081_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

If .338 Lapua Magnum seems a little bit overboard for prairie dogs, would the opposite apply using .22rf on Zombies or SW OR Big Foots?  The World Wonders. :)  We are going to have some fun removing .22rf ammo from bricks and boxes and seeing how many loose .22rf will fit into a .30 cal can.  Will leave some room for the small dissiciant (sp?) packs.

Linux Mint 17 spell check sucks.

Over-kill ?, Under-kill?

Last time I checked, Killt is Killt.

At roughly $1.50 a pop (home rolled) I do try to make each one count

My point was the MTM large magnum rifle boxes fit nicely in the fat fifty cans.

Edited by Long Shot
  • Like 1

They can have my ammo cans when the pry them from my cold dead fingers! 

And after carrying a full fat fifty my fingers really are cold and dead.

• Like 2