SAIGA 12 RELIABILITY KIT

The gas regulator "plug" just offers more regulation of the gas that is available in the system. It doesn't increase reliability, so alone, do not expect it to do that. The puck, when installed correctly with the protrusion to the rear, increases the time at which the gas is acting on the bolt carrier and can add some reliability benefit with weaker loads. I recommend only using the included spring if the puck doesn't quite add enough benefit. Do not use the puck and the spring with loads that already run in your Saiga 12.

• Like 1

BandAid for a gun that needs some work.

I agree. People can either have work done and have a weapon that can safely go from strong loads to weak loads with a simple adjustment of the gas regulator, or swap parts to do it. The potential to forget what is in the weapon and accelerate wear or damage parts when firing strong loads is the main drawback of trying to get there by swapping parts, as I see it. Good work is expensive, so I understand why someone would want to try this route. The price for doing it this way is needing to pay attention to which parts are in the weapon and not lose/misplace what is not in the weapon. At the same time, they can't expect it to run like a weapon that has had a detailed refinement and gas work done. It can get them where they want to go, but it is not a silver bullet.

My gun ran perfectly with just the puck installed. I ran it like that for roughly 500 rounds. Now it runs with all the factory parts. The booster gave me just enough extra push to be reliable but breaking in from shooting is what ultimately matters unless you want to polish every surface by hand. Never needed the extra spring and the adjustable plug is just convenient.

• Like 2

Adding to what evl just said, these are not necessarily very save with max loads in your gun.

More frustrating still is that quite a lot of people buy these kits and find their gun still needs a bit more than the very small boost the kit can do to get their gun actually running. A proper DIY fix maybe costs $5 in tools assuming you have things like a file, hammer, punches and a drill already. The kit costs a lot more than that and frequently doesn't work while compromising the gun. Kinda worst of everything solution. It might work for one guy whose gun is right on the edge, but the 5 guys he excitedly tells to buy the kit are going to get very frustrated if their gun is a just little worse, and perhaps write the whole gun off.

• Like 1

Adding to what evl just said, these are not necessarily very save with max loads in your gun.

More frustrating still is that quite a lot of people buy these kits and find their gun still needs a bit more than the very small boost the kit can do to get their gun actually running. A proper DIY fix maybe costs $5 in tools assuming you have things like a file, hammer, punches and a drill already. The kit costs a lot more than that and frequently doesn't work while compromising the gun. Kinda worst of everything solution. It might work for one guy whose gun is right on the edge, but the 5 guys he excitedly tells to buy the kit are going to get very frustrated if their gun is a just little worse, and perhaps write the whole gun off.

They should get a Gunfixer plug. That fixes everything bad_smile.gif

• Like 1

I've nothing against that particular product. Most people now have only used clones of it. It's only the confusion caused by the forum handle. IMO you get a little more worked up about it than is warranted.

It was a good product that did what it claimed. Well enough that most of the saiga specific parts manufacturers and even a little company called Tula have copied it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The gas regulator "plug" just offers more regulation of the gas that is available in the system. It doesn't increase reliability, so alone, do not expect it to do that. The puck, when installed correctly with the protrusion to the rear, increases the time at which the gas is acting on the bolt carrier and can add some reliability benefit with weaker loads. I recommend only using the included spring if the puck doesn't quite add enough benefit. Do not use the puck and the spring with loads that already run in your Saiga 12.

Wait so you are saying that the kit itself isn't going to fix it that, I can install just three puck? Confused here

I bought the same kit after my 12 wouldn't cycle #9 bird shot.

After messing around and running 5-6 boxes of cheap target loads it has settled in and performs 100% now. I have been using it for skeet and have progressed to 96-97 out of 100 consistently.

Every time I go to the range I run 5-10 games (100 clays per game). I have now switched to a XTR12 just to prolong the life of the Saiga as I fear that I wont be able to source parts.

After messing around and running 5-6 boxes of cheap target loads it has settled in and performs 100% now. I have been using it for skeet and have progressed to 96-97 out of 100 consistently.

Every time I go to the range I run 5-10 games (100 clays per game). I have now switched to a XTR12 just to prolong the life of the Saiga as I fear that I wont be able to source parts.

Bug a V12 for a spare carrier and bolt. Sell of the rest of it. The op rod is the only major difference.

• 1 month later...

You shoot 500 to 1000 clays every time you go to the range? I'd love to see a video of someone shooting 970 out of 1000 clays in one trip.

Edited by Brad737

You shoot 500 to 1000 clays every time you go to the range? I'd love to see a video of someone shooting 970 out of 1000 clays in one trip.

I read that to mean the firing reliability of his gun, not his hit rate. I could've wrong, but I wouldn't believe that average for score.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...