I'd say AIM. Whatever you do, stay away from the koreacrap mags.

Even the new production ones? I heard the older KCI ones are crap.From what I've read the new ones are supposed to be better quality though. I was actually considering pick up some of the new 20 rd. Korean steel mags. Are they made by the same company?   

Hello

I sure would like to pick up some more East Euro tanker mag's. Haven't seen anybody selling them for ages.

Kind's hesitant to spring for the Korean stuff....

-Guido in TX

Hello

I sure would like to pick up some more East Euro tanker mag's. Haven't seen anybody selling them for ages.

Kind's hesitant to spring for the Korean stuff....

-Guido in TX

I have some of the Hungarian 20 rd. tanker mags that I bought a couple years ago. They're great for shooting prone. I think I paid about $20 each for them. The're going for twice that most places now, that's if you can even find somewhere that has them in stock. 

I'd say AIM. Whatever you do, stay away from the koreacrap mags.

Even the new production ones? I heard the older KCI ones are crap.From what I've read the new ones are supposed to be better quality though. I was actually considering pick up some of the new 20 rd. Korean steel mags. Are they made by the same company?   

They use projection welds instead of spot welds. Projection welds are ok if done right, but their method was substandard.. Projection welds involve forming raised bumps into a part and then pressing it between two flat electrodes and getting all the welds in one hit.. It is fast and cheap but it does not have the strength of a traditional spot weld unless it is done with a large enough projection and an equally large welding unit.

I think they are using smaller 10-30 KVA power units when correct application would be something more like 100-500 KVA.. Their welds do not pass my testing, as they break without pulling out. There is actually a standard that is supposed to be met. 

A traditional spot welder needs more like 1.5-5 kva for single welds since each weld is happening on its own and is not shunted by the other welds.. I use 10kva welders for single welds, it is more consistent and can be done with a shorter dwell with a larger welder.. Multi welds require a welder a littler larger than the total of the welds to compensate for the shunting.

• Like 1