One of his schoolmates had a safe-space moment.

This happened about 5 years ago.

We, as parents, got called to the principal's office.

One of his female classmates tossed up a red flag.

Our son had shown a picture, on his phone, of my WW2 era Karbar. He never threatened to hurt anyone.

We showed up, waiting for horrible news, and when they showed me the picture, on his phone, I almost laughed.

I said, "That's a WW2 Kabar". I was flabbergasted. I looked at the principle and the school appointed policeman in a matter-of-fact way.

He was told not to share scary pictures to anyone else and he would'nt be punished.

When I went to high school, I briefly carried a folding fishing fillet knife in my worst high school (1 of 3 different high schools).

Renton High School, Virginia was horrible, 25 years ago. Very Inner-city Style.

Now, I've heard Northen Virginia has become an immigrant hub.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

I went to high school in the late 90's in the DEEP south. We had an interesting school as it was in a rich area but bussed in all the surrounding rural areas as it was the only high school for like 30 miles in the county, so we had all types in our school. The redneck kids all drive trucks and we're all hunters and such, which they flaunted proudly and it was the norm.

One day a kid from CA transferred to our school and was a super douche bag (2,000 kids and he was the king douche). He complained to the principal staff and resource officer about every damn thing. One morning he decided the redneck kids were his target so we went truck to truck peering into the Windows trying to find a reason to get them in trouble. One truck had a filet knife in the cab floor board from the kid fishing and another had spent shotgun hulls in the floordoard from hunting, neither of which were hurting anyone. He went straight to the resource cop and they were both arrested for bringing weapons on school grounds and were eventually expelled for doing something they had done a thousand times and not hurting anyone.

Those poor boys still struggle as a direct result of this and were good kids all in all. No clue what happened to Mr. CA but I sure hope he got Gonnasyphaherparia or something.

• Like 2

I graduated in 1983 I always had my pocketknife and had gun racks in my truck , I never left home without my old 30/30 in deer season . I would cover it up with a jacket in the seat during school , I only hid it so somebody wouldn't steal it . We are truly to Damn politically correct these days

• Like 2

I carried a ~4" lockback knife to school every day. Used it to defend myself once during a premeditated attack behind my high school. 

I lost the knife during the fight, and my girlfriend climbed this asshole's back and started beating the shit out of him!

He later razzed me for letting a girl fight for me, but I just said "...and you got your ass kicked by a girl!"

(she was 6'1", and taller than he was). I never did find out why I was attacked. He was probably just being a bully. It didn't turn out well for him.

I was also on the JROTC shooting team.

Never expelled.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

I was on the school archery team. We used to go over into the swamp after school to shoot muskrats with the .22 rifles we leaned behind the principal's door during school. 

• Like 1

Our schools and our government are removing all personal responsibility and liberty 

Replacing them with political correctness and safe spaces

In 1969 we put a man on the moon

In 2016 we put a man in the girls bathroom

Edited by unforgiven
  • Like 6

Our schools and our government are removing all personal responsibility and liberty 

Replacing them with political correctness and safe spaces

In 1969 we put a man on the moon

In 2008 we put a fag in the White House

In 2012 we let him stay there

In 2016 we put a man in the girls bathroom

Fixed it for ya!

• Like 2

I graduated mid 90's and had a KA-BAR from vietnam in my backpack in my locker full of shotgun shells almost every friday. Our shotguns were in our trucks and 15:00 couldn't come soon enough. We even had archery in gym class and the scouts held target matches on the practice football field.

Give your kids fishing poles, rifles and knives instead of hair dye, lip gloss and cell phones.

• Like 3

A kid was in high school from about 1964 through 1966.  Long Beach Unified School District CA.  South of LA, CA.  We had a Rifle Club on campus.  About once a month in the spring we would all arrive early to school loaded down with various rifles and ammo.  Some carried a USGI M1 Carbine, a Springfield and a Garand, plus a heavy load out of ammo cans carrying mags, clips  and .... duhh ... lots of ammo.

Quite a burden for a young skinny kid.  At least 50+ pounds.  Walked safely the streets of Lakewood CA going to school.  About 1 mile.

Lots walked to school with such.  Few had cars.  One guy got stopped by a contract LA County Sheriff.  Friendly.  Asked where he was walking.  He was told.  At 3:30 pm we, (about 25++ students, 6+ or so adults) would grab all our iron from the Vice Principles office closet gun vault and climb on board a district provided Crown Supercoach school bus.  We went to the long gone Silverado Canyon rifle range.

All of us with all our guns and ammo inside a school bus with the club advisors.  We were packing.

Silverado Canyon located in Orange County CA.  A very nice high power rifle range.  Now long gone.  Sub divisions.

Shot various high power for accuracy.  Our adults were all vets.  Returned to the high school at about 6-7 pm.  Some then walked home with all the iron.  Happy.  My wanna be girl friend carried a .38 after school.  She worked in Long Beach.  The teachers knew.  She kept it in her locker during school hours.  My point is that 1965 was a different era.  Compared with today's environment?  We had no problems.

Down the Rabbit Hole we continue to free fall.  Alice In Wonderland.

Edited by HB of CJ
  • Like 1

If you walked through the parking lot of my high school (mid 70's) you would find a shotgun and/or rifle in the window rack of almost every pickup truck. Carried a buck folder in a belt pouch all through high school (as did just about all the males and an interesting number of the females as well) kept my brick of .22 ammo in my locker since I was afraid it was way too hot in my car trunk (far west Texas). During a locker inspection the assistant principal called me out for the pack of cigarettes he found but never said a word about the ammo.

The ROTC rifle range (.22 only) was built under the stadium as well as the armory. The armory had about 200 decommissioned M14 rifles and a number of crates of 7.62x51 mil issue ball ammo as well as a bayonet for every rifle. The only thing disabling the rifles was the lack of firing pins (Which were stored in a safe in the ROTC office). These rifles were used for training and drill for ALL the ROTC cadets and were taken out for use and carefully cleaned and cared for by the same cadets. Let me tell you, being on the drill team and flinging around those rifles was the most fun I ever had in school! I fondly recall being required to field strip, lay out the parts and then reassemble the rifle in the dark. Flying springs were a memory that can still make me giggle a bit.

Now the armory is used by the janitorial staff and the range is sealed as a "toxic lead hazard". The drill team and color guard are forced to use brightly painted and poorly made plywood cutouts (and I am given to understand those may be taken away soon as being an overt and hazardous display of aggression). My neighbor's son was ejected from school and required to have a psychiatric evaluation for drawing a rifle and a tank during an open art class.

Yeah. Things are not what they used to be. I miss the older days.

• Like 1