HELP NEEDED - part out of place

My bolt won't slide back but halfway. I opened the cover and noticed the bolt hitting on a metal piece, sorta resembles a bottle opener. I'm thinking this piece shouldn't be sticking up this far. Its just floating around in there as seen in the screwdriver pic.

Don't ask me how it got in that position because I dont know.  

Anyway, what is this part called? I need to look up a video on how to fix this to see if I should even attempt to fix it or carry it to a gunsmith and let the professional deal with it. Last thing I want to do is damage something ...god knows parts arent easy to find for these guns.

thanks!!

saiga2_zpszk36hppy.jpg

saiga3_zpsjortkt2q.jpg

saiga4_zpszjecxhux.jpg

saiga1_zpsifhxe6ee.jpg

That is your factory BHO (bolt hold open). It looks like the spring that holds tension on it in the down position has come off and allowed it to pop up. It happens and is well covered on this forum. Consider yourself lucky that it's not completely locked up. It can be a major pain in the ass when that happens.

There are ways to "fix" it but my suggestion is to remove it completely and rid yourself of future potential issues.

Edit; it's not an important functional part of the system and is easily removed.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

Keep the BHO.

You want to do 3 things.

1)make a notch for the spring to sit in. search " saiga 12 bolt hold open mods"  copy the pictures you find.

2) bend the right side of the hammer spring outward. This pins the BHO to the receiver wall. It also prevents another common AK severe malfunction. Specifically the spring can slip behind the disconnector and jam things up. It should always get a bend so that it pulls outward too.

3) get a thin washer or few. You have a Hammer axis that was ground excessively on the right side. This leaves too much play between the hammer and the right side of the receiver. It's a common fault of the drop-in FCGs. They leave extra room for tolerance, but often they leave enough slop that your malfunction is possible. The BHO should be pinned into its location by a fairly tight fit with the hammer axis tube, with the spring bend above as mere bonus. To fix that, you'll need to remove the hammer axis pin just enough to drop the BHO back into place and add a washer as a shim to take up that slop. You can grind or file a thick washer down to size as needed. It will probably also help to hold the pieces in place with an undersize punch (AKA slave pin) through the left side of the axis pin hole, and push it out with the axis pin.

• Like 1

Ditch the BHO (replace with a small washer) and cut a notch in the safety lever to act as a boy ala Krebs. The FCG is SOOOOOO much easier to assemble!

fill me in on some of the abbreviations please .....  boy ala Krebs ..... FCG

thank you!!

Ditch the BHO (replace with a small washer) and cut a notch in the safety lever to act as a boy ala Krebs. The FCG is SOOOOOO much easier to assemble!

fill me in on some of the abbreviations please ..... boy ala Krebs ..... FCG

thank you!!

Boy was spellchecked, meant to be BHO. Krebs is a manufacturer that makes AK safeties with a notch cut into them to hold the bolt handle back. FCG is Fire Control Group; I.e. the trigger/disconnector/hammer assembly. See the safety lever below.

gallery_50296_1407_122638.jpg

Edited by Heartbreaker

The small washer, assuming it needs to be the same thickness as the BHO?

The small washer, assuming it needs to be the same thickness as the BHO?

A washer is not even needed. I've been running BHOless for thousands of rounds between two different Saigas and no issues.