Hello Everyone:

One of my boss's sons is a new SEAL. He's due to presumably go over to the sand box somewhere. Somewhere soon. We assume Iraq.

Wanting to show patriotic support, I humbly ask what might be something I can get this great guy that he can use over there. I honestly don't know what I can get as a civilian that the military won't provide. I assume SEALS get all kinds of fun toys to play with.  

I'm referring to gear or any small personal weapons he might need. I thought a boot knife might be nice, but maybe a telescoping mirror (like car mechanics use) for looking around corners would be welcome too. Maybe I've seen "Private Ryan" too many times. 

Maybe there's some sort of tool or binoculars folks like to have in the field. Elbow and knee pads? I'm open to any suggestions. I just thought I'd ask you guys first before I buy anything. Thank you.

I don't think you'd be able to arm him better than what a SEAL will get from the Navy, some good suggestions can be found in this:

http://www.military.com/deployment/what-to-send-someone-who-is-deployed.html

and as someone who has had MREs the ones about stuff to dress up the meals would sound pretty good to me.

Edited by the 4th Doctor

A high-end fixed blade would likely be a nice gift.... one that's designed for harsh climates and salt water of course.

You should not concern yourself with considering mirrors or knee pads or any of that kind of stuff.  As previously mentioned, he will be essentially fitted with anything and everything he could possible need.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

Strange gift but consider the anti body stink gel type antiperspirant deodorants like the various NON SCENTED Gillette products.  We use this shit during deer season.  It amazingly stops about 90% of a humans body odor.  Slavered up using half the turn screw bottle you still sweat and it does wear off, but perhaps the new real deal SEAL might appreciate situations where his western American body odor DOES NOT give him away.  Plain old baking soda and table salt also seems to kill bad human breath, at least for a short time.

Ask him after he gets there? I remember getting gifts on this basis for a few friends who were deployed for the first round of our last Iraq campaign. I am pretty sure all the stuff we got them was traded away quickly and not really appreciated as much as boxes of cookies. i.e. eotechs and stuff like that. I think what you want before deployment seldom matches what you actually want in the field.

Only thing I ever had for seals was copper coated lead, but we might be talking about something different. Stinkin' fish swipin', net ruining no good for nothin' overpopulated.....

• Like 2

One of many things I learned in the .mil was that spending bucks on a great field knife was a waste of money -- they get used and abused.  The guy needs a blade that can take and hold an edge.  One that he does not need to worry about losing it.  Also, you can always tell the newb by the pretty knife...

Edited by Odd Man Out

May we all can chip in and send a few guys something nice. I am sure the mods could work out the details.

How about we the American people chip in and get them an honorable commander in chief to follow.

Maybe the best ideal I've seen is wait till they're and ask what do they want or need.

• Like 3

He's a SEAL, he needs a Submariner but that might be a bit much at around $5,000. Since the OP asked about gifts for his Boss's son I would think something in the $200-$300 range would be suitable. It would be difficult to pick some type of equipment that will not be provided by the Govt. so I  would find a small personal item that is unique or custom made.  

Doug

He's a SEAL, he needs a Submariner but that might be a bit much at around $5,000. Since the OP asked about gifts for his Boss's son I would think something in the $200-$300 range would be suitable. It would be difficult to pick some type of equipment that will not be provided by the Govt. so I would find a small personal item that is unique or custom made.

Doug

Hence the idea of a special pouch to keep valuables in.

He's a SEAL, he needs a Submariner but that might be a bit much at around $5,000. Since the OP asked about gifts for his Boss's son I would think something in the $200-$300 range would be suitable. It would be difficult to pick some type of equipment that will not be provided by the Govt. so I  would find a small personal item that is unique or custom made.  

Doug

A seal will not like the non CSOC movement of the Submariner and will probably trash the bezel on it within a week. The explorer, not II, is a gents watch that will never fail you, has kick ass lume, csoc proven movement and can be traded for a ride home or whatever gear you need in a time of peril. Seals are issued the best dive computers in the world. No need for an antiquated 15minute bezel to pop off on your. I'm quite certain they do other things than dive.

• 2 weeks later...

A SEAL will be issued a very nice watch and more knives than he can use. Team guys love their knives. 

Honestly, anything military related will be a waste of your money. He will get everything he needs on that front. He will also get more unit logo stuff over the course of his career than he can handle.  

Nearly all of those guys dip but technically, tobacco can't go through APO/FPO system. 

What he needs will really depend on where he goes but home made baked goods sealed up in saran wrap really well are welcome anywhere and everywhere. I liked getting good coffee too.   

Edited by Atomic Punk