Hah! All Juggs needs is a scowl on his face, that'll take care of all but the death wish crazies.

But seriously, carefully examine the laws for each city you'll be passing through.

Even their knife laws can be screwy.

The few times I've entered the state to see my Mother all firearms/ammo have been separated and locked up out of reach.

And only come out in private residence/property or in a hotel room.

I despise the feeling it gives me being unable to decidedly protect my family or self if needs be in public.

My Mom knows why we seldom visit, that and just the time/expense of travelling.

• Like 2

It depends where you go, really. I frequent NYC and Chicago for work, a lot.

Are you going to an area around a college? A downtown center? A hangout spot? Some suburb no one cares about? A decent business-class hotel in a financial section? 

Or are you in the hood? Chicken shack, check casher and bodega on every block. 

The best defense starts long before deciding what gun to carry. 

Yes, anything can happen anywhere. But what are the chances? Crime tends to stay in certain areas, and if you aren't in one of those areas, you are more than likely safe as anywhere else, armed or not. 

It's less about being ready to shoot someone, and more about knowing where you do and don't belong. 

Edited by randumbthoughts

I was driving to Michigan for the first time and kept seeing "chicago" signs. I thought maybe I was going to end up going the wrong way. I woke my wife up and said something to the effect of "If I suddenly slam on brakes and spin around, don't be alarmed, I'm avoiding Illinois at all costs". I will never go there. If family moves there, have a nice life and don't worry about me coming unannounced.

• Like 1

It depends where you go, really. I frequent NYC and Chicago for work, a lot.

Are you going to an area around a college? A downtown center? A hangout spot? Some suburb no one cares about? A decent business-class hotel in a financial section? 

Or are you in the hood? Chicken shack, check casher and bodega on every block. 

The best defense starts long before deciding what gun to carry. 

Yes, anything can happen anywhere. But what are the chances? Crime tends to stay in certain areas, and if you aren't in one of those areas, you are more than likely safe as anywhere else, armed or not. 

It's less about being ready to shoot someone, and more about knowing where you do and don't belong. 

Growing up in Detroit and serving in the USMC, I'm no stranger to Violence..

taking the train then UBER to Wicker Park and Logan Square.. don't think I'll have a problem "blending" with catholic Pollock's in that area..

Mexicans, not so much... My kid's flat he's renting is in some 5 story bedbug infested shithole.. he works for Jim Beam contracting in their IT dept...

Still, not big on the idea that arming myself beyond some invisible line makes me a criminal..

not a fan of caboose carry, either..

Use your 'street smarts'. Avoid the 'hood, be aware of what is going on - victims look down and away, look back and look like someone they do NOT want to mess with!

Attitude will prevent most encounters. I ran night calls at DC public housing and was never jumped - crazy assed Caucasians are not in much danger, animals prey on the weak. e

Edited by G O B
  • Like 1

Use your 'street smarts'. Avoid the 'hood, be aware of what is going on - victims look down and away, look back and look like someone they do NOT want to mess with!

Attitude will prevent most encounters. I ran night calls at DC public housing and was never jumped - crazy assed Caucasians are not in much danger, animals prey on the weak. e

Attitude and body language go a long way.

Look PISSED. Think "I wanna fuck somebody up RIGHT FUCKING NOW" and project it. It's worked for me on several occasions, and don't look anything like Juggs. Juggs LOOKS tough.

...of course you could just take one of our ever-present internet tough guys along to protect you. One experience with their impressive keyboard manipulation and any attacker will run for his life!

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

I carry two of these with me pretty much everywhere.  They don't auto open, and cannot be "flicked" open by gravity alone so they get around most states definitions of "automatic" knives. 

You can find some less pricey versions on ebay. And with a few minutes practice can open them just as quickly as any auto blade. While not as nice as having a firearm, it's better than bare hands or some sort of improvised weapon. 

Edited by poolingmyignorance

Looking Tough, Knives and Claws aint gonna do a damn thing against a stray round from one chigger to another chigger. A vest is probably the best defense, followed by limited exposure to the elements.

Attitude a situational awareness - if you need a weapon, most likely you failed at situational awareness.

If you DO find a situation where you NEED a weapon, discretely showing the one with the most attitude/mouth that you DO have a weapon should be done BEFORE letting them get close enough to jump your ass. Walk out into the middle of the street if they are approaching on the sidewalk - never let them herd you, they LOVE dark places -make any encounter on YOUR turf, the most open and well lighted the better!