Is it just me or is the quality of servers gone down hill in main stream restraints like Applebee's, Red Lobster .......

Maybe it is that I live in Florida but it I seem no body cares anymore but still expects a tip.

• Like 1

I've worked for tips in the food/beverage service industry, cashier, short order cook and as a bartender.

I worked for every tip, I provided damned good service and I got tipped well.

I'll tell you what I do for truly crappy service... I leave the brightest penny I have on the receipt as a tip.

I've had a couple of waitresses literally come unglued, yelling and cussing me, a couple have chased me down to give me the penny back or threw it at me.Even had a manager tell me never to come back to their establishment for provoking an incident.

When they make a scene, I make it a bigger scene, make it a point to make sure everyone within earshot knows what a piss poor waitress she was.

Yes, I can be a real dick at times.

I've taken groups to restaurants with mandatory gratuity for groups, I despise those.

I tell my wait staff, you can make the minimum or I can tip really well, your choice.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 9

problem is too many people just don't say shit to management and go ahead leave a tip, I don't, my job was in quality management and I've had to answer a butt load of complaints over the years. yep some times we screwed up some times the customer was a dumb ass but we still had to address the complaint. anywhere I go that gives me less than I expect for my money will hear from me, some times the people I'm with get embarrassed, I don't care. if everyone complained when they got shitty service it would happen a hell of a lot less.

flip side to that is: I was in a titty bar with some guys for a bachelor party years ago and while there were some hotties in the place the big ol' girls were the ones pushing the hardest to give a lap dance, so I learned some times you can get too much service.

post-26137-0-46277900-1465699692.jpg

• Like 1

No offense, but your location and choice of restaurants is what is causing you to have shit service. Applebees/Chili's/Friday's etc. are literally fast food places that microwave everything but the hamburgers and "steaks" - you're not going to get good food there, nor are you going to get good service. I would expect barely more than McDonald's there.

You'll get much better food, and service, at higher end restaurants in your city, but you don't have to go there either - I've had some excellent food and great service, at Mom and Pop dives everywhere I've been. When it's a family establishment, or local landmark, people put a lot more pride and care into what they do. I've had "Down East" Carolina BBQ...the place was attached to a gas station and it looked like the menu hasn't changed in 20 years....but man that pork was as soft as butter, we ate like Kings and the wife and I didn't even spend more than $20. Not to mention, the old man owner/operator was one of the friendliest people I've ever met. 

And when it comes to price, hell, I can think of a Jersey Diner around here that will give me two eggs, Taylor ham, hash browns, toast, and a coffee for $4.95 24 hours a day and it's ready in 5 minutes....tell me why I'd go to Crapplebee's instead? 

Best advice to you, check out Open Table (smartphone app, or website), it's a great way to find good, quality restaurants in your area, and it lets you sort by price, style, type of cuisine, etc. I've found excellent Greek, Indian, Seafood, Brazilian Steakhouse, you name it, on there. Plus you're supporting small businesses in your community, instead of fast food megacorps. 

Good luck!

Edited by randumbthoughts
  • Like 3

I regularly go on Sundays with my wife and 1 1/2 year old daughter to one of my local establishments. My daughter loves "charming" people. Our normal server and the bartender know that we are regulars and that we tip well. Both of them will interact with our daughter. A filler was in recently for our normal server for a few weekends. She wouldn't interact with our daughter at all.

Our normal server came back last week, wasn't serving us, was busy with a large group and still took time to say hello to our child. (Our daughter recognizes her when we go there)

Guess who gets the better tip?

There are still good servers out there. Problem is that they are becoming the exception not the rule. Bad servers still expect the "mandatory" 10%.

Unfortunately it's a symptom of the entitlement generation.

• Like 1

No offense, but your location and choice of restaurants is what is causing you to have shit service. Applebees/Chili's/Friday's etc. are literally fast food places that microwave everything but the hamburgers and "steaks" - you're not going to get good food there, nor are you going to get good service. I would expect barely more than McDonald's there.

You'll get much better food, and service, at higher end restaurants in your city, but you don't have to go there either - I've had some excellent food and great service, at Mom and Pop dives everywhere I've been. When it's a family establishment, or local landmark, people put a lot more pride and care into what they do. I've had "Down East" Carolina BBQ...the place was attached to a gas station and it looked like the menu hasn't changed in 20 years....but man that pork was as soft as butter, we ate like Kings and the wife and I didn't even spend more than $20. Not to mention, the old man owner/operator was one of the friendliest people I've ever met.

And when it comes to price, hell, I can think of a Jersey Diner around here that will give me two eggs, Taylor ham, hash browns, toast, and a coffee for $4.95 24 hours a day and it's ready in 5 minutes....tell me why I'd go to Crapplebee's instead?

Best advice to you, check out Open Table (smartphone app, or website), it's a great way to find good, quality restaurants in your area, and it lets you sort by price, style, type of cuisine, etc. I've found excellent Greek, Indian, Seafood, Brazilian Steakhouse, you name it, on there. Plus you're supporting small businesses in your community, instead of fast food megacorps.

Good luck!

Truth ^

Nuked, preprepared food, with a store-front.

I would not expect family quality qualities.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

Chose your battles carefully.  Do you ever want to go back?  We have found that lousy service just comes with the territory.  In such cases, the minimum old school tip of 10%  seems to work, along with a short note outlining why we felt unhappy with any service.  But ... if the joint is a greasy spoon and we have no plans of ever coming back, just a quarter or even a couple of dimes works wonders also.

Our local one lung run down diner here in our nearly perfect mountain valley town in SW OR USA has horrible service.  We think the rich owner is using the joint as a tax dodge.  Staffing is about one half normal.  We are so well known to everybody here that sometimes we just up and get our own coffee refills.  No problem.  We all know each other very well.  Just another way of getting good service.  US!  :)

• Like 1

The problem  we have in SW FL is that there was a time that places to eat out was a premium and when the snow birds would come down you just stopped eating out because of the wait to eat. Now there is a place to eat on every corner fast food or mom and dad.

The problem here is that it is a roll of the dice if you are going to get good food, good service, both or neither, there is no consistency.

I blame it on the way people are hired and trained. The fact that they are giving poor service and product is that there is still a lot of people who eat out down here as the boomers move down and live here and they do not have to be good, just be open.

It is so bad down here that you can go to a place one time and love it all and then the next time crap.

When it is crap ,you can tell its going to be crap when you sit down. I blame it on poor management and people who are unmotivated.

I complain by email now as I have sent one to Applebees. 

I know the job is hard but if you charge for the service then give it.

At the Applebee's in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, I was sitting there waiting for my meal and I saw a slender, middle aged, bald waiter wiping his nose with his hand (Looked like the "coke wipe") while he was entering the customer area with a tray of food balanced on his other hand. I spoke to a manager and informed her. She said I'll mention it to him, but he probably didn't realize he was doing it."

BTW: He looks and acts like he's openly "gay". Stereotypical speech pattern, hips forward walk, the whole act.

I won't eat there anymore.

Edited by patriot

Service is often so poor that I wonder if they are spitting in my food simply because I am a white male (sorry, just being honest). I am always friendly and respectful, yet it does not reciprocate. I have been on that side of the transaction and I have a great deal of respect for people just getting out and working an honest living, but it feels like some have no appreciation for customers who patronize the places they work. 

Bad service? - Vote with your feet.

I am often just hungry and needing something quick in hopes that I will be greeted with a smile next time. I really notice it when I get that, which is a shame.

The opposite works also.  We have a few waitresses who are golden.  Clean, straight, sober, good looking, hard working.  They get the super tips sometimes approaching 50% of the total bill.  Two bucks for coffee with multiple free refills.  A buck tip.  Three bucks total.  When we come back we get absolutely superior service.  Same big tip with food.  I also tip the chefs.  Makes a big difference making a meal very nice and it does not cost one that much.  Just going the other direction.

My dad and I got excellent service at Marzoni's yesterday afternoon. Great food. The waitress was top notch. She wasn't a kid. Tall, about 5'8" or so. Very nice. Attentive. Helpful. I've only gotten crappy service there 1 time, and I don't see that guy there anymore.

We eat out so rarely but when we do it is a family owned place, Chinese, they really take good care of us and that place has been good to them in return.

I know they are bringing over their family a bit at a time and so things are very important.

Immigration the way it should be done.

But the reason we only go there is due to what you mention OP, service is headed down, sometimes it is the servers sometimes it is how the place is run. 

Neither gets repeat biz.

When I moved to Texas from Maryland, the FIRST thing I noticed is that the people here are a LOT happier! In Maryland everyone is pissed off and moody. I have not had a surly waitress or waiter

since I moved here.

• Like 2

Texas is great, it should be it's own Country.

And their first act should be to toss out evey liberal and illegal.

Clean house in Austin, Houston and DFW.

I've lived in Lubbock and still have extended family all throughout the state.

When dining out, service is paramount to me.  If we receive bad service, we don't give the place our business for a long time.  We usually give them a few months, and see if it's any better.  The Red Lobster closest to me has some of the best service in the area.  I've never had a bad experience there.  Places like Applebee's suck, in service, and in food. Most little independent restaurants in my home town suck as well.  The will start off great, and quickly decline to closing.

Texas is great, it should be it's own Country.

And their first act should be to toss out evey liberal and illegal.

Clean house in Austin, Houston and DFW.

I've lived in Lubbock and still have extended family all throughout the state.

Houston & DFW still have a very large share of Republicans. Shit can San Antonio, the Castro brothers and their racist mother.

Hillary loves the Castro brothers.

If it is a special occasion, or if I'm with a large group of buddies out for a bonding session, I have been known to pull my waiter/waitress off to the side and slip a $20.00 up front. I have never had this approach backfire. Once one of our regular waitresses shared a story about swerving her car to miss a dog in the road, and damaged a tire. I called for donations from the group and collected approximately $150.00 bucks. Called her back over to the table and presented the small gift. Brought her to tears and we made an instant friend.

• Like 1