I just talked to my kid in Oklahoma, and she was telling me a story about a run in with the cops there. Thankfully, her story was pale compared to the shit that's going on out there. ERAD! Civil forfeiture?  Sounds like straight up robbery by those that are paid by the citizens to serve.

http://oklahomawatch.org/2016/06/07/new-front-in-civil-forfeiture-okla-authorities-get-devices-to-seize-funds-loaded-onto-prepaid-cards/

That is the only state that votes 100% republican every time, and it has less freedom than any other state. Anyone live there? I want stories.

• Like 1

Sketchy police depts. have been doing this with cash, for years.

Get pulled over with a few thousand dollars in cash? Hehe, good luck.

Civil forfeiture until you prove it isn't drug money (impossible).

I understand that dealers may have found another way of moving money but...

Everyone has a debt card.

It's abuse waiting to happen.

"Lemme see your driver's license, registration and, debit card."

"Oh, you have $10,000 in your account? You drive a crappy car (or truck). It must be drug money."

Scary precident.

Imagine a cashless system....all digital.

No tax-evaders, no illegal drug transactions, no wallet muggings, etc.

Finally! Utopia!

Rant over.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 3

The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety has purchased several devices capable of seizing funds loaded on to prepaid debit cards to aid troopers in roadside seizures of suspected drug-trafficking proceeds.

The portable card scanners are designed to be carried in law enforcement vehicles, allow troopers to freeze and seize money loaded onto a prepaid card, and to return money to an account whose funds were seized or frozen.

The vehicle-mounted scanners are also capable of retrieving and storing limited account information from other cards as well, such as banking debit cards, credit cards and “payment account information from virtually any magnetic stripe card,” according to the website and patent documents of the device manufacturer, Texas-based ERAD Group Inc. ERAD stands for Electronic Recovery and Access to Data.

That sentence freezes my blood.  I have been saying for years that any "smart" technology will eventually be turned into a tool of oppression. 

• Like 3

This type of bullshit is why law enforcement condemns legal marijuana. 

They would lose a large part of their funding if marijuana proceeds were legal.

Illegal marijuana is such a joke. There was a big case in my state where a guy was growing his own plants, to treat his Multiple Sclerosis. He was reported, arrested, imprisoned and lost his home. The entire time as they hauled this sickly old man off to jail and destroyed the last years of his life, the only justification any police officer, prosecutor, or judge could come up with was "it's the law!"

No reason, no compassion, no critical thinking. Completely devoid of humanity.