Anyone got any good methods for getting the smell out of a carpet? My daughter did her best exorcist impression yesterday and nailed her bedroom carpet. I cleaned it up as fast and as well as I could, but that little odor lingers...

• Like 1

Good luck. I had a drunk buddy throw up in the back of my car once in high school.

I cleaned it multiple, multiple times with everything available at the time.

Never could completely get rid of the funk, and it really got bad in the heat of summer.

Maybe start with a good pet stain cleaner?

Until you get the carpet shampooer, try liberal amounts of hydrogen peroxide. Peroxide won't bleach or harm the carpet. I keep a 409 spray bottle filled with it as I have pets. First wipe the area with damp but not soaking wet cloths or paper towels. Then spray the hell out of the area and let it sit a few minutes (not to the point of saturation). If it bubbles that's ok, it's just residue, which is no big deal. Most carpet manufacturers say to blot, but I wipe back and forth. We used peroxide at the retirement home I worked at and it did a pretty good job on body fluids (on the cheap carpet they used to buy) and the residual stains, May take a few tries. After it's dry sprinkle baking soda on the entire area affected and let it set overnight. Vacuum it up and wipe with a couple of dryer sheets of your choice of fragrance. I like lavender and lilac. Good shoe deodorizers too.

• Like 1

I have two kids of my own and always have had large dogs. I will let you in on a little secret. This product can be use by itself or with a little water in an area that has been prepped with a shop vac. Soak the area with this and let it sit. Vac up in about 5 minutes and reapply full strength mist to the carpet. Allow to air dry and then vac. If you still have a slight smell from not attacking the spill right away and letting it rot, baking soda can be sprinkled on the carpet and tamped in/vac out.

LA's Totally Awesome is dirt cheap and works great for getting rid of any evidence. :)

http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11786549&gclid=CP2c8OLLuc0CFQYIaQod6MABHA

I ended up treating it with resolve pet stain/odor remover and then baking soda overnight. I think I got it.

Be mindful of the chems you put in your home. I'm slowly removing carpets from rooms and replacing them with wood or bamboo. Some of the stuff in carpet stain cleaners made me really sick when i was a single man and just went full exxon monsanto with the house. Kids are like sponges.

• Like 1