check this out....poor man's Storm!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I got it!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!

I still need to paint the shroud... it was cheaper for silver, than black.. go figure... Although... it may grow on me and I may just keep it silver, I dunno...

Here are a couple views... they are both about the same... ones got less glare I reckon... Still need the optic on it, though... Maybe a red dot? Hmm... I got one I can yank off my S12... :up:

YANNO.... These ATI stocks even come with recoil buffers?!?!? I was suprised to see that in there! Go figure... They arent much... but they got one!!

:smoke:

hipoint1b.jpg

hipoint2b.jpg

Here's the link to the carbine threads on the Hi-Point forum. All you need to know about the ATI stock/conversion, hi-cap Pro Mag fix, etc. Also a guy on there sells beautiful barrel shrouds for it. Still no ATI stock for the .40 version though. I still have a soft spot for the old Planet of the Apes original stock though, so I have one of each. B)

http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=4

Edited by badman400

I gotta stick up a new pic of mine...

I put on a Bushnell trophy 4 position red dot... the one with the small dot, big dot, crosshair, and dot/circle.

I stuck on the stock mounted mag pouch. I also painted the shroud black... so it matches... It looks wicked... :up: :up:

I was amazed... when I mounted the optic... went out to test fire... that som-bitch was almost deadnuts at 50 yards without TOUCHING the knobs on the scope!!! I was like..." DAMN! Thats SWEET!!! " What a nice little shooter that rifle is...

• 1 month later...

Hi cap mags are the only downside to these things, I got a carbine with ATI stock a few weeks ago and tweaked it up some to taste. Found some rail stock online to make the top rail.

Lots of fun for a cheap plinker.

hipointcarrailgriprd2.jpg

Hi cap mags are the only downside to these things, I got a carbine with ATI stock a few weeks ago and tweaked it up some to taste. Found some rail stock online to make the top rail.

Lots of fun for a cheap plinker.

hipointcarrailgriprd2.jpg

wow.....i like that a ton......no i just gotta acutally get the hi-point!!!!

Question for Onepoint:

That is awesome! I can hardly believe that it is a Hi Point! So, you used the ATI stock, and bought the rail as a "blank" and made your own upper rail? I am correct?

Please post link for the rail blanks...I will be adding a rail.

Doc2005

I told him I'd post his question in here..

The sights are AR-15 folding type from Yankee Hill Machine, they co witness in the bottom 1/3,

You can get rail stock in raw aluminum from http://egw-guns.com/catalog/

Its really not too much of a job to make one.

The stock comes in 16" lengths, so you cut it down just a little to fit, and clean it up and shape the ends etc. Drill 3 holes in it, and tap them, drill 2 indents for the protrusions on the stock reciever cover and its ready to paint or finish. Attached with 3 button head screws. The rail will deflect if you pull it down, but works just fine if you keep your hands off it. I probably wouldn't mount a optic much past the receiver for that reason. Anodizing would be best, but isn't available to me. I used baking lacquer instead. Without the painting and baking time it was a 2 hour project.

Here it is without the Ultrasight

hipointcarrailgrip.jpg

The sights are AR-15 folding type from Yankee Hill Machine, they co witness in the bottom 1/3,

You can get rail stock in raw aluminum from http://egw-guns.com/catalog/

Its really not too much of a job to make one.

The stock comes in 16" lengths, so you cut it down just a little to fit, and clean it up and shape the ends etc. Drill 3 holes in it, and tap them, drill 2 indents for the protrusions on the stock reciever cover and its ready to paint or finish. Attached with 3 button head screws. The rail will deflect if you pull it down, but works just fine if you keep your hands off it. I probably wouldn't mount a optic much past the receiver for that reason. Anodizing would be best, but isn't available to me. I used baking lacquer instead. Without the painting and baking time it was a 2 hour project.

Here it is without the Ultrasight

hipointcarrailgrip.jpg

Where are you guys getting the stock hi-point carbines from? No one local carries them :cryss:

Well I got one on the EE on AR15.com, and about the same time I low bid another for just over $100 on gunbroker and won. It didn't have the ATI stock though. No one had them local, at least until I bought one and then I seen some. <_<

MD, I like that stock. It would be cool if the future new designed Hi-point stocks look like that.

Edited by Onepoint
Instead of using the pistol as the basis for there carbine, they should make another receiver, and move the magazine outside the pistol grip...

Another cheezy drawing:

post-4346-1175873054_thumb.jpg

what the hell for? by doing that you just killed the barrel length with one third or something...

this isnt the kind of gun where hi-cap is important.

Thats one of the good things about a pistol frame type carbine, its as compact as an SBR and still has a 16" barrel. No mag to get in the way as its in the grip.

The only disadvantage to the thumbhole stock is it keeps you from reaching the mag release with the trigger hand, so you have to bring up the off hand to hit the button. The Hi-point carbine isn't perfect by any means, but is a heck of a bargain for what it is.

After using it, if I was going to wish for another design from Hi-point or ATI, I would just as soon go simpler, something maybe like this.

hpcexp1.jpg

Edited by Onepoint
15 minutes with a dremel and some grades of finer sandpaper you could have yours looking exactly like that.

I wish it was that simple, it took me that long to photoshop it. :)

The stock being hollow wont let you profile it, wish it would, it would be done already.

Thats where the jb weld or bondo, or maybe even expanda-foam (Greatstuff) comes in... fill in the hole, let it cure HARD... then sand and finish, repaint... Your stock is complete custom just the way you want it! :up:

It would only be a little hole where you cut off the lower portion, there... and the handle would be solid, cause the mag is in there...