I had recently purchased a new Saiga 12 from www.K-var.com, the SGL12-08 imported by the FIME Group. Waited about a week and picked it up at my local FFL, took it out and shot it 2 days in a row and nothing but Federal High Brass was working, thought maybe a good cleaning would work and decide to take a look at the gas ports. Got it apart, looked at the gas ports, there were 3 gas ports visible from inside the gas tube and inside the barrel, so I used a paperclip to see if they were clear. Some how the gas port holes were completely filled with something, tried to clean it and there was no way to clear the holes. So, somehow, somebody drilled the holes and they got filled back in at some point, I am baffled, this was a brand new Saiga 12. I contacted FIME Group and I am going to be shipping it to them for repair.

Let me know if anybody else has ever had this problem, haven't seen it talked about anywhere on here yet.

Also this is not my only Saiga 12, I have a IZ109 that runs flawlessly with the cheap Walmart stuff, the gas ports on it are clear.

post-51059-0-08993300-1467158395_thumb.jpg

It was probably just debris that got shaved off from the ammo like a cheese grater, due to the holes not being de-burred.  If you search around on this sight, you will find all of the info you need to get it running well.

Got the paper clip to go through the gas ports, so they are clear now, went out ant tried to shoot it again, same problem, the action is pretty smooth as well, I have no clue what to do, it just does not cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have been reading and researching everything that I could, I just decided to try to change the spring and try some different ammo. Took it out today with the lighter spring and Federal Bulk pack from walmart and it was 100% reliable, I guess it was just a really heavy spring and the junky Winchester bulk ammo.

The spring is not an ideal fix, because it is not appropriate for the very heavy loads. You've basically committed yourself to keeping both springs with the gun and changing them with your ammo, and not mixing them up.

If you read the many threads on this type of thing, you'll find that what you need to do for a better fix is:

1. Learn what the numbers mean on ammo, and buy ammo within the normal functioning range.
  2. Break in the factory spring ~100 cycles. Reduce friction on the rails (super easy DIY) and reprofile hammer face (light to medDIY), maybe bolt carrier group (pro from someone like Cobra's Custom or risky, high skill and study DIY  with risk)
  3. if necessary enlarge ports.
  • Like 1

The spring is not an ideal fix, because it is not appropriate for the very heavy loads. You've basically committed yourself to keeping both springs with the gun and changing them with your ammo, and not mixing them up.

If you read the many threads on this type of thing, you'll find that what you need to do for a better fix is:

1. Learn what the numbers mean on ammo, and buy ammo within the normal functioning range.
  2. Break in the factory spring ~100 cycles. Reduce friction on the rails (super easy DIY) and reprofile hammer face (light to medDIY), maybe bolt carrier group (pro from someone like Cobra's Custom or risky, high skill and study DIY  with risk)
  3. if necessary enlarge ports.

Well, by lighter spring, I meant it felt lighter, the spring was out of my other Saiga that functioned perfect, which was a completely stock Saiga, so it was a factory spring, I will take your advice and keep reading, also the action is a lot smoother than it was out of the box after working the action and shooting around a couple hundred rounds. 

If you have been doing it correctly please disregard. Are you adjusting the regulator from setting 1 to setting 2 when the weaker ammo will not cycle? Will it fire the strong ammo on setting 1? Is any of the ammo labeled low recoil, light, etc? Which loads are not cycling? Do not expect it to run Federal Top Gun without work. It should likely cycle Federal Multi-purpose or Winchester AA 1200 to 1300 fps on setting 2.

If you have been doing it correctly please disregard. Are you adjusting the regulator from setting 1 to setting 2 when the weaker ammo will not cycle? Will it fire the strong ammo on setting 1? Is any of the ammo labeled low recoil, light, etc? Which loads are not cycling? Do not expect it to run Federal Top Gun without work. It should likely cycle Federal Multi-purpose or Winchester AA 1200 to 1300 fps on setting 2.

Yes, I have been using setting 2 for the weaker loads. Yes, it runs the hotter ammo just fine on setting 1, it runs the 1200 fps Federal Multi-purpose perfect, the ammo I had been trying to use before posting was the Winchester Universal, those did not run very well at all.