I am in the market for a AK47, which one?

Hello all,

I am in the market for a good reliable AK and need your opinion, I have read reviews on IO (Inter Ordnance) was not very good, and I have always heard Century was (past tense) also, everything else is out of reach for me , I just laid down $1200 for a PTR 91, so money wise I'd be looking from $800-$850, any thoughts? Century Arms Zastava N-PAP, anyone have one?  Wasr 10 any good? Rate it here....

TIA

Both will serve you well, and the differences are functionally pretty insignificant. Biggest things I can think of off the top of my head are that Yugos are much nicer aesthetically and WASR will have a chrome-lined bore. WASR will also take standard stamped-receiver AK handguards if you care about changing the furniture at some point. If it were me and I was planning on leaving it alone I'd just go for the M70. 

• Like 1

$900 and you're getting into Bulgarian Arsenal with factory side folder (and all the bells and whistles) territory.

Yugos have too many proprietary parts. They're the oddball of the AK family. Wouldn't be my choice unless I just needed to round off the AK collection for some reason.

Can't believe no one has suggested this yet but get yourself a Vepr they are right in your price range right now (all calibers available, 5.45, 5.56, 6.5Grendal, 7.62x39, .308, 54r ). There is no better built higher quality AK on the market right now at the price range. Sure they come in as sporters like Saigas did but it doesn't take much to turn them around and the starting point is leaps and bounds ahead of a Saiga.

Edit; Sucky part about the Vepr is the slant cut receiver.  

https://www.legionusa.com/saiga-vepr-rifles-for-sale/ak-vepr-rifles.html

Edited by Mullet Man

$900 and you're getting into Bulgarian Arsenal with factory side folder (and all the bells and whistles) territory.

Yugos have too many proprietary parts. They're the oddball of the AK family. Wouldn't be my choice unless I just needed to round off the AK collection for some reason.

Can't believe no one has suggested this yet but get yourself a Vepr they are right in your price range right now (all calibers available, 5.45, 5.56, 6.5Grendal, 7.62x39, .308, 54r ). There is no better built higher quality AK on the market right now at the price range. Sure they come in as sporters like Saigas did but it doesn't take much to turn them around and the starting point is leaps and bounds ahead of a Saiga.

Aren't VEPR magazines proprietary? And all I can see is 5 and 10 rounders out there. I haven't got an issue with the slant cut. Hell, I even did that to my Saiga when I built it. 

Aren't VEPR magazines proprietary? And all I can see is 5 and 10 rounders out there. I haven't got an issue with the slant cut. Hell, I even did that to my Saiga when I built it.

No different than what a Saiga needs done to use AK surplus type mags. Bullet guide and a little mag latch trimming.

• Like 1

Hey guys thank you, plz keep them coming...

ETA:

I went to get the PTR on Friday, and the ATF system would not go through, so I had to leave without the weapon, it was late and she (person helping me) stayed 45 minutes after the place closed trying to get this to clear...  I hope this does not bite my in the ass.

Edited by 308saiga

What besides the furniture is proprietary? I thought the guts in N-PAPs were AKM parts. 

I was thinking the same thing about the Arsenal side-folders but I took a look and I'll be damned if I can find a 107 for under $1300, if you can even find one.

The safety, barrel/furniture components, gas tube, threaded sight blocks(26mm) and grip angle. FCG is standard AK stuff.

IMO, the only really nice feature Yugo's have is the hot blued finish like pre-ban Chinese guns.

This is my Century arms C39 version 1

I bought it brand new almost 3 years ago and have ran this thing through the mud and back with friends. Over 4k rounds and only one ftf due to primer seated to low. This gun by far was the best budget AK variant. For $650 at the time for lighting charging handle and enlarged mag release was what got me. Then I fitted Vltor ak buffer tube and Troy alpha rail real easy. Also has Ultimak gas tube, Alg flat bow trigger and Krebs safety. These guns are not only 100% american made (good or bad for some) but they have concentric barrels and tag teamed with Ultimak tube (with vent holes only) make it great host rifle.

post-51040-0-27787200-1468119388_thumb.jpg

Yeah if you want budget, get a smith inspected WASR.  They should inspect the rivets, trunnion alignment, front sight and rear sight alignment, etc.  Rivets are easy to inspect, no deformation of the receiver, it should not be possible to slide a piece of paper up under the head of the rivet.  Should you still want a folding stock, the "wire" side folding stocks that are Romanian will bolt on stupid easy to a WASR.  It'll give a WASR a good balance but you may decide you want a rubber pad for it.  I use a US made GP-25 pad with mine (They come with a handy velcro attachment piece.).  Pad was like 20 bucks or something.

gallery_33361_710_2072900.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I would save up a few more coins for one of these.

attachicon.gifuf.png

http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/SAM7UF.html

Agree! 

Yeah if you want budget, get a smith inspected WASR.  They should inspect the rivets, trunnion alignment, front sight and rear sight alignment, etc.  Rivets are easy to inspect, no deformation of the receiver, it should not be possible to slide a piece of paper up under the head of the rivet.  Should you still want a folding stock, the "wire" side folding stocks that are Romanian will bolt on stupid easy to a WASR.  It'll give a WASR a good balance but you may decide you want a rubber pad for it.  I use a US made GP-25 pad with mine (They come with a handy velcro attachment piece.).  Pad was like 20 bucks or something.

gallery_33361_710_2072900.jpg

Love this! 

Crap!

I wonder why the bolt was hanging up?

The barrel heating up and changing poa does not surprise me.

I had an sks that did the same. It was only accurate (minute of man) up to 50', when hot.

What causes that? Lack of even barrel heating?

Edited by Sim_Player

That is what I thought and heard YOT.    I had a Saiga 308 that I converted, will not do it to this one, this is staying in the safe so I wont be shooting it for now, the same with the PTR91.  I got to get them while I can, later may be too late, next on the list ammo!

I'll post pics after I get it...

That is what I thought and heard YOT.    I had a Saiga 308 that I converted, will not do it to this one, this is staying in the safe so I wont be shooting it for now, the same with the PTR91.  I got to get them while I can, later may be too late, next on the list ammo!

I got 4500+/- rounds out a Hi-Point 995  before it need to go back to be factory rebuilt. Then another 1500 after I got it back, then sold it. Maybe I.O. AK's should be priced less than HPs.

Edited by YOT

Crap!

That is what I thought and heard YOT. I had a Saiga 308 that I converted, will not do it to this one, this is staying in the safe so I wont be shooting it for now, the same with the PTR91. I got to get them while I can, later may be too late, next on the list ammo!

I got 4500+/- rounds out a Hi-Point 995 before it need to go back to be factory rebuilt. Then another 1500 after I got it back, then sold it. Maybe I.O. AK's should be priced less than HPs.

If the cost of ammo exceeds the cost of the gun, before it breaks, it's paid for itself, IMHO. Edited by Sim_Player

Crap!

That is what I thought and heard YOT. I had a Saiga 308 that I converted, will not do it to this one, this is staying in the safe so I wont be shooting it for now, the same with the PTR91. I got to get them while I can, later may be too late, next on the list ammo!

I got 4500+/- rounds out a Hi-Point 995 before it need to go back to be factory rebuilt. Then another 1500 after I got it back, then sold it. Maybe I.O. AK's should be priced less than HPs.

If the cost of ammo exceeds the cost of the gun, before it breaks, it's paid for itself, IMHO.

1666 rounds of 7.62x39 sure doesn't come anywhere close to costing as much as an I.O. With shipping and tax more than $700 is coming out of your pocket.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...