Anyone else a little concerned that the shooter in Dallas was killed with a robot bomb?  I got no problem with him being killed after killing 5 cops, but not sure that I want to see the use of robots in this way as a police tactic.  Thoughts?

Edited by mizombiekilla

I do have some thoughts on this.

And they might surprise some of you.

I'm not opposed to it. This wasn't an assault on a compound like Waco or even Philadelphia, where they really had the luxury of waiting them out.

This was a lot more sensitive and deadly. Perhaps they could have waited him out, but at that point in time they didn't know if his bomb threats were real, or even if there were additional shooters whom might come to his aid.

They had clearly found themselves outmatched by him.

He decided what level of force was to be used to apprehend him by resisting with deadly force.

I see no reason to send anybody into a deathtrap to appease the opinions of those who would cheer their deaths.

• Like 2

Funny you started this as I was thinking about it earlier today. I am former LEO and I am not sure how I feel about the use of explosives by LEO either and what the ramifications of it are. Imagine if he had a hostage (he was in a parking garage after all) when they decided to do this. There are far too many intangibles for something like this to become common.

Im all for saving the lives of cops and civilians, but this is one of those scary things that changes the dynamic of policing on many levels and many not good ones. imagine one armed with a pistol or full auto rifle that can drive through a dope house or serving a warrant. Cops kill people when necessary, not when they want to with a bomb-bot.

• Like 1

No different than shooting him.  Man pushes a button and a bad guy dies at a distance.  Man pulls a trigger and a bad guy dies at a distance.

Can it be used wrongfully?  Obviously.  Duh.  But so can firearms.  And we spend our whole lives arguing that firearms aren't bad just because they can be used in a bad way.

• Like 7

I just can't understand how we as a society are appalled by terrorists using bombs both abroad or domestically for the purpose of killing people, yet we sit here and applaud the use of it to kill a terrorist. Double standards seem to be becoming the normal standard.

Again, I am an ex-cop and soldier and am all about the preservation of life, but having seen people killed by bombs and such I just can't see it as a viable way to handle any situation. When coupled with the inherent risk of using an explosive device for this purpose is insane where you must account for the risk versus reward.

When you compare this to a sniper you are comparing precision to area of effect damage and a surgical explosion in this manner is not a realistic option that I can figure. We would use shape charges for doors or walls, but that is a static setup that we place and blow, not a rolling bomb that has to get into position.

I'm concerned about how a robot or drone could be misused to take out whomever "they" deem to be the "bad" guy but, in a obvious situation where a maniac shooter or terrorist is trying to kill innocent people, my children ,family, friends, or anyone else's I want them taken out as quickly and cleanly as possible by robot or whatever. 

• Like 1

I just can't understand how we as a society are appalled by terrorists using bombs both abroad or domestically for the purpose of killing people, yet we sit here and applaud the use of it to kill a terrorist. Double standards seem to be becoming the normal standard.

Again, I am an ex-cop and soldier and am all about the preservation of life, but having seen people killed by bombs and such I just can't see it as a viable way to handle any situation. When coupled with the inherent risk of using an explosive device for this purpose is insane where you must account for the risk versus reward.

When you compare this to a sniper you are comparing precision to area of effect damage and a surgical explosion in this manner is not a realistic option that I can figure. We would use shape charges for doors or walls, but that is a static setup that we place and blow, not a rolling bomb that has to get into position.

No we're opposed to the indescrminate killing of innocents via any avenue.

The technology employed is irrelevant.

• Like 2

The guy remained armed, had killed 5 officers, made clear he was not done, intended to continue killing, and refused to comply. Deadly force was used without placing additional officers at unnecessary risk. It was a good call, the right call, and well justified. Good riddance.

• Like 6

It's only a double standard in your mind.  The use of any force in an unjustified way is wrong.  The use of any force in a justified way is right.

That's one simple standard and it has nothing to do with the type of force used.

This would have absolutely been wrong if they either weren't sure of the target or if the explosion had put other people at risk.  Same as any force.

100% sure it's the right guy.  Check.  Nobody else risked.  Check.  Mop up the goo and it's Miller time.

• Like 2

The "idea" may seem wrong but the technology isn't the problem. If the robot had a gun and had just wasted him would it be different? I'm seeing it as having a robot go in with a firearm attached that they could have used would have just caused him to shoot at the robot but they seemed to be communicating with him for a while with it. If he had given up maybe he doesn't get bombed but they tried the safe avenue and he didn't comply. He chose the path they had to go down by not stopping. From all the reports I have read it seems like the thing is legit but who knows these days

Add a bit more AI to the bot and then start heavy production. In a short time they will eliminate the need for human police. No emotions whatsoever.

No one will mess with a robot cop that can and will blow you up. Then and only then can they go door to door for gun confiscation.

• Like 1

Add a bit more AI to the bot and then start heavy production. In a short time they will eliminate the need for human police. No emotions whatsoever.

No one will mess with a robot cop that can and will blow you up. Then and only then can they go door to door for gun confiscation.

11042817984_23ac01ea30_z.jpg

• Like 2

Good point .

The instrument is inconsequential. The neutralizing of a continuing threat is all that happened.

No different than troglodytes throwing stones and neutralizing a homicidal maniac armed with a stick.

Using a robot to deliver the death blow is no different than if they used rocks.

• Like 1

I am concerned with the intensive militarization of the police forces in the U.S.

What is next ?  LAW 80's ??  SSM 's ???  RPG's ????   VX ????

At what point do we just use the Army to write tickets and chase car thieves ?

Oh boy , they got the bad guy .........  Do I want local P.D. having bombs when they

are told to confiscate the evil black guns from me ....... ????

​On the flip side, if the guy in the car that was shot to death would have been blown up, there would ​be

no video for the protesters

• Like 1

^^^^You can pretty much thank  Larry Phillips, Jr. and Emil Mătăsăreanu's North Hollywood shoot out with the police for that one.  I think that was a turning point where the cops  said we'll never be out gunned again (and I can't really blame them for that). And by the way, just what the fuck does a robot bomb look like anyway?

• Like 1

^^^^You can pretty much thank Larry Phillips, Jr. and Emil Mătăsăreanu's North Hollywood shoot out with the police for that one. I think that was a turning point where the cops said we'll never be out gunned again (and I can't really blame them for that). And by the way, just what the fuck does a robot bomb look like anyway?

post-38865-0-44995700-1468192857.jpeg

• Like 1

Cops dropped bombs from a helicopter on the "Move liberation group" in Philadelphia in 1985 destroying 60 homes after am entry was repelled.

If you think militarization of police is new you haven't been paying attention.

The only major issue I have with it would be if they were to employ these tactics, equipment for routine operations.

I always try to look at every thing the government does from the perspective of "how could they abuse it? ".. but I wouldn't recommend tying some ones hands until they prove it's necessary.

My far and large cops aren't destructive, and most the contraversisl shootings could be avoided with a little more focus on unarmed training. (Always good to have a few extra tools in the shed).

It's like the choke holds that were bared because officer hand to hand training at the time for grappling sucked.

Nown Sterling was no angel, but after reviewing the vido at least 100 times, I noticed something.

What the officers saw (and my self the first 70 times I watched it) loomed like battle for wrist control with his right hand... they were trying to pin to the ground was him trying ignorantly to put his hands up.... the key was his left hand and fingers raising up simultaneously, in sympathetic response. Of course the officers couldn't have possibly seen this...so they hold no real liability in this case. However had they been trained more on grappling they'd have known pinning his arm perpedicular to his shoulder would have given them far more leverage. It's known as a "kimura".

Now hindsight is 20/20, but some of these tactics need to be revised and updated to include a far greater arsenal of submission techniques that will reduce the number of these contraversial shootings.

Will it end them? No.

Will it silence the detractors whim only seek to gain from a culture of victimhood? No.

What it will do is save a lot of officers of having to endure the bullshit attached to use of force.

I think every body would agree that if deadly force can be avoided it should. But when it's all you have or the majority of your tools, it's leSS than ideal.

• Like 1