"Johnson used a SKS rifle and a handgun in the attack, multiple law enforcement sources told NBC News"- this is from a NBC news report. Seems we still know very little for a fact. I'm with you though as I have detonated blocks of c4 and it makes a nice sized mess and I'm not believing a weapon in close proximity would survive unscathed like the one in the picture.

I'm kind of surprised by the amount of "information control" being used.

My guess is that the Dallas PD is doing a great job controlling the crime scene and info.

Good on them.

If they used a craymore style explosive device, parts of the room may have been spared, IMHO.

I have no experience with explosives, btw.

I don't have any problem with hundreds of bullets flying, in a confined space, with a murderer.

He could have walked out, alive.

Edited by Sim_Player

I have seen things in close proximity to high explosives survive remarkably intact.

This is just a picture of a Saiga.  I can't tell you if this is the rifle he used.  This picture proves nothing either way.

The fact that it was reported as both an AR15 and an SKS by "official" sources means nothing.  Most people are incredibly ignorant about firearms.  Even a lot of cops.

I see so many people with no knowledge jumping to conclusions. 

When I saw the initial reports that it was an SKS I found that hard to believe.  It didn't make sense.  But that didn't make it false.  A Saiga makes more sense to me.  But the fact that it makes more sense to me doesn't make it true.

The Saiga does match the blurry images taken from the videos of the shooting.  The curved mag and the rearward placement of the optic both stand out in the pictures.

I see many claims that the initial reports of multiple shooters in elevated positions must be true and that the official reports of a single shooter at ground level must be false based on the initial reports.

How many of you have heard gunfire in an urban environment?  How many of the witnesses had ever heard gunfire in an urban environment?  The echoes off buildings are very deceiving. 

I don't know for sure what happened.  Making assumptions and jumping to conclusions and pointing fingers doesn't help anything.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

Armsguide is trying to say it is a Saiga. https://thearmsguide.com/8811/reports-ak-74-dallas-shooting/ Photo looks awfully fishing with no blast damage or blood from a 1lb charge at close range so I find it slightly stupid but AKOU has already started spreading it as fact so who knows if that seed will take

With an explosive charge designed not to produce shrapnel the damage to life and property is caused by by the blast itself over pressure/concussion. 

Very little if any gross physical damage (wounds/blood) unless very close to blast.

I doubt that the police would use a bomb that would endanger themselves and others with shrapnel or incendiary properties.

• Like 1

It amazes me how none of these departments seem to have one solid knowledgeable gun in guy to come amongst the gun-ignorant and do very basic investigation of what was used. Nearly any halfassed gun guy can tell an AR from a SKS from an AK. You would think that with a firearm being one of the most feared things to come in contact with as an officer that they would pay more attention to how to identify each basic platform.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

The SKS makes sense.  Both my son and I were hearing the audio the night of the incident and the first thing he told me was "that's not an AR, the reset is too long".  Also, I recall an eye witness that they interviewed say that the shooter was dropping ammo while trying to reload and again, that didn't make sense if it was an AR.  However, there was another guy that they also interviewed that said it was an AR "clear as day".  So in the end, a ton of folks in this country can't ID a firearm in a moment of stress and the media absolutely can't ID any rifle as anything other than an AR and any handgun as anything other than a Glock.

• Like 1

The SKS makes sense.  Both my son and I were hearing the audio the night of the incident and the first thing he told me was "that's not an AR, the reset is too long".  Also, I recall an eye witness that they interviewed say that the shooter was dropping ammo while trying to reload and again, that didn't make sense if it was an AR.  However, there was another guy that they also interviewed that said it was an AR "clear as day".  So in the end, a ton of folks in this country can't ID a firearm in a moment of stress and the media absolutely can't ID any rifle as anything other than an AR and any handgun as anything other than a Glock.

Bushmasters and Glocks. Those are the choice firearms of domestic terrorists, all of them.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

It wasn't an AR or an SKS.

Pretty sure now from multiple sources that it was the Saiga AK74 pictured, hence it's confusion with an AR.

Just the Media running their mouths and going with anything that comes their way in information without any confirmation, someone said SKS & they ran with it, someone said AR & they ran with it.

They've generally zero clue WTF they're talking about within the first 24hrs. But boy do they talk anyways, they have to fill that air time with something.

Edited by ChileRelleno

Pretty sure now from multiple sources that it was the Saiga AK74 pictured, hence it's confusion with an AR.

Just the Media running their mouths and going with anything that comes their way in information without any confirmation, someone said SKS & they ran with it, someone said AR & they ran with it.

They've generally zero clue WTF they're talking about within the first 24hrs. But boy do they talk anyways, they have to fill that air time with something.

So if he used a Saiga 5.45, then he used a banned gun with banned ammo. Let's ban some more stuff.

• Like 2

Why does our media run wild with bullshit?  Are there not some sort of inside rules or regulations that require newsroom confirmation before some very smart, well educated, very stupid talking head spouts off bullshit? 

It really pisses me off when some air head runs there mouths off about subjects WE, (I) know much more about.  Are they being DIRECTED to speak crap?  And if sosss, for what good purpose?  Dunno fur sures soss there.

Edited by HB.  Added one letter to one word.  Added to one sentence.  Split into two, (2) paragraphs for easier reading for those who give a hoot.

Edited by HB of CJ

I only posted because it said the source was the PD itself, so I assumed it reliable as opposed to some speculation or bystander "I seen it" type thing. Media at one time did have sped respect and thought that only correct information had a place being reported but in modern times it is all about ratings, so basically the news is now a bad version of reality tv where they just say random shit about real life and hope to get it right eventually.... Or not.

So if he used a Saiga 5.45, then he used a banned gun with banned ammo. Let's ban some more stuff.

That is not a convenient truth, so it will not get any attention. Most people will never hear that.

r

If it was a Saiga, maybe it was a member of this forum.

What a scary thought

Edited by jerry52

Hmmm, considering the number of Saiga rifles vs membership here I'd think the odds pretty low. But even if he was what's scary about it, I mean what have you to fear from any random member? Nothing.

Extra Fed scrutiny, hell, we're a Russian Assault Weapons website, we're already heavily watched and our names on lists.

Guaranteed!

In the zoomed-in video put out by a film crew that shows the fatal confrontation between the shooter and officer, I had been thinking a Saiga was being used due to the amount of lead being discharged into the surrounding concrete. The spread looked a bit too large to be from an SKS.

Guys, you all know it was a Bushmaster SKS made by Eugene Kalashnakov designed to kill 47 people in 15 seconds. It was even more lethal because he used Glock clips in it. We need to accept the media reports and stop the hate.

• Like 2

SKS NOT a Saiga.

WAS a Saiga. According to this. http://www.wsj.com/articles/dallas-chief-david-brown-urges-protesters-to-join-police-force-1468273328?mod=rss_US_News

The usual online or gunshow bullshit of course.

Point being, reports are conflicted. I'm betting it was a Saiga.

Edited by Darth Saigus

Odds are it is a an SKS just due to the sheer numbers and acceptance of the rifle as being a good buy for so long.

Seen nothing with any clarity/reliability so it is all guesses until we know otherwise. Will say the killed/wounded ratio is pretty high for a 5.45 but that's nothing approaching proof.

Does seem to "sound" like a x39 going off but again aint in the in the know loop.

Maybe it was a Saiga and they just dont want it out there for political reasons. Either way whatever it was, it was effective.

Edited by Rhodes1968

There were some graphic images that showed his body lying in a pile of rubble, the weapon next to him looked like a saiga with a tapco mag, Magpul Zhukov stock, the factory handguard and a scope similar in shape to an ACOG (but I don't think it was).

EDIT: https://www.google.com/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3683606/amp/Have-photos-dead-body-Dallas-sniper-leaked-Images-posted-online-appear-cop-killer-Micah-Johnson-moments-taken-police-robot.html?client=ms-android-verizon#

Edited by Heartbreaker

Damn, c'mon people there are pics of the rifle and main stream publications reporting the police say it was a Saiga 5.45.

The lamestream media had it wrong, as they usually do.