The Thing (carpenter's)

The Ring

The Legend of Hell House (1973)

Like many, those are the ones that stuck

John Carpenter's The Thing is my favorite of all time.  The sequel was...  unimpressive.

Aliens is my favorite action/horror.  Theatrical version please.  The extra fluff in the director's cut adds nothing.

The original Alien deserves an honorable mention also.  We won't mention the "other" alien movies.

The best of them set a mood and The Thing has this overwhelmingly.(now I gotta watch it again)

This is getting to be a lost art in horror films though it was never easy nor common. 

All three on my list accomplish proper mood setting very well, had enough of gore, bad jump scares, and crummy CG.

John Carpenter's The Thing is my favorite of all time.  The sequel was...  unimpressive.

Aliens is my favorite action/horror.  Theatrical version please.  The extra fluff in the director's cut adds nothing.

The original Alien deserves an honorable mention also.  We won't mention the "other" alien movies.

Yeah, the alien in the second Thing movie looked like a vag filled with teeth.  Couldn't warm up to any of the characters in it either.  rolleyes.gif

The only thing they could have cut out of the extended version (IMO) of Aliens was the scene where Pvt. Hudson was shucking & jiving in the landing craft.  I thought the part where the Robo sentries were introduced & deployed should have stayed in the film though. unsure.png

Didn't really care for the original Alien movie all that much (especially for all the hype).  Always thought that all the alien needed was a straw hat and bamboo cane when it and Capt. Dallas (Tom Skerritt) first met up in the ventilation shafts with that stupid spread hand pose it made. sleep.png  

Edited by Gaddis

The original Alien was fairly well done and they captured a lot by keeping the cast in the dark about when the little critter was going to show up.

Nothing like a real jump scare to get things going in a "gotcha" movie.

I guess it qualifies as Scifi-horror pretty well as opposed to the Scifi-action of the second movie.

Action is easier than horror is easier than comedy but making them well is still very difficult no matter.

I feel like the only one out there who generally hates horror movies. They just don't scare me, and mostly seem like corny garbage. I get more annoyed at the ridiculous infallibility of the monsters/etc. and the way the victims make all the worst choices imaginable, are never armed, own cars that don't start, try to escape into dead end areas, etc.

Movies have never scaried me.

The shear pain in Hell Raiser was as dark as I ever wanted to go.

It's my version of Hell.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

1. The Thing.

2. Return of the living dead.

3. An American werewolf in London.

4. Evil Dead 2

5. The Boogens.

Slashers suck: Humans are fragile.A good beating will take most of them out.

Ghosts suck: They move furniture for 2 hours. If one killed me, I'd be a ghost too, and go all Dan Henderson on their ass the moment they kill me.

Animals and monsters get to me.

The Relic is a pretty good creature feature, if thats what gets the blood pumping.

They are among the best and worst of horror. Really all the The Thing is after all.

Gore and sick twisted psychopaths are too far on the plausible side for that suspension of disbelief to kick in and that is important. 

• Like 1

The first 2.5 hours of Steven King's It were great horror.  Tim Curry's Pennywise was perfect.

Then the last half hour with the giant spider puppet ruined it all.

So it seems that King's work almost never translates well to the screen, his novels are too long to be done in less than several hours.

Best are IT, The Storm of the Century, and The Stand, all TV efforts. Have yet to see a good "movie" done of his stories.

Would think his short stories (which I think better than his novels) should adapt well but they always find a way to foul it up.