i took my gun to a shop for 2 3/4 shells not wanting to load very good. they called and said they fixed it. they told me it loads great so I picked it up. they said they had to file on some of the parts. they gave me a magazine back and I was that's not the one I gave you. it was only a 5 round one. they said that was it. the one they gave me says 20/ 76  and its for a 3 inch shell. my gun says it takes a 20/70. why does my gun load a 3 inch shell better than a 2 3/4 shell.

hi i have a saiga 20 as well. purchased a few months ago here in New zealand

as far as i understand you need a 70mm magazine for 2 3/4 rounds to feed correctly

and a 76mm magazine to feed 3" rounds.  The 20/76 magazine will accept 2 3/4 shells but will have many failures to feed (FTF)

they wouldnt make different magazines if it wasnt needed

I prefer 2 3/4 rounds so i only have 20/70 magazines

• 4 weeks later...

Just received my S-20 yesterday. Did not have the mag in the box so just cleaned and put in closet until a mag arrives.

Had a 12 and passed on to my son. Always like 20 so I bought one.

I hope I can get it to work as well as my S-12 did.

Really hoping that CSSpecs get a new run of the 10 round mags.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried with low brass and got 1 normal ejection of 15.

Removed gas block and drilled out the 3 holes to 3/32 and reassembled with new TAC47 Autoplug. The original holes would fit a 1/16, but not a 5/64.

I also drilled out the hole in the gas block that was blocking one of the three holes. I have seen this filed larger in other posts, but drilling was much easier IMHO.

Looks good now.

I plan to test tonight and will post results.

I have also ordered a CSS Performance puck and a lighter recoil spring to see if this does the trick.

I expected to do all of this as my S12 required the same list of changes to make it function properly.

After installing new puck and spring I went to a much better 11 of 15 normal with 2 FTF and 2 FTE.

I would say that is much better with Federal 2 1/2 walmart bulk loads in the 76mm mags.

I am sure after a few hundred rounds it will only get better..

Next round of ammo will be a little higher brass loads.

Now time to start thinking about the conversion parts.

Removed gas block and drilled out the 3 holes to 3/32 and reassembled with new TAC47 Autoplug. The original holes would fit a 1/16, but not a 5/64.

I also drilled out the hole in the gas block that was blocking one of the three holes. I have seen this filed larger in other posts, but drilling was much easier IMHO.

Looks good now.

I have also ordered a CSS Performance puck and a lighter recoil spring to see if this does the trick.

I expected to do all of this as my S12 required the same list of changes to make it function properly.

Drilling was the right choice. Just enough. Keep it minimal

After installing new puck and spring I went to a much better 11 of 15 normal with 2 FTF and 2 FTE.

I would say that is much better with Federal 2 1/2 walmart bulk loads in the 76mm mags.

I suggest that when you get your conversion parts, you profile your hammer properly and smooth up the rails before even installing them. Then use the stock spring. If it needs more to get to 100%, then bump up your port size a couple thousandths.

Also, leave out the autoplug until you have it running perfectly. It's easier to troubleshoot with less variables going on. After a few hundred shots, the poppet spring in the autoplug may be broken in and need another half turn or so in to get back to the same behavior.

Looks good now.

Drilling was the right choice. Just enough. Keep it minimal

I suggest that when you get your conversion parts, you profile your hammer properly and smooth up the rails before even installing them. Then use the stock spring. If it needs more to get to 100%, then bump up your port size a couple thousandths.

Also, leave out the autoplug until you have it running perfectly. It's easier to troubleshoot with less variables going on. After a few hundred shots, the poppet spring in the autoplug may be broken in and need another half turn or so in to get back to the same behavior.

I think you re right on with your suggestions.

I have started to notice a big difference just with the few rounds I have fired through it.

I got sidetracked as the wife wanted a new shed and I need to get it done before bow season.

This can wait a few weeks I guess.

Also, stop thinking in terms of "low brass/high brass." Look at mass and muzzle velocity numbers on the box.ME = Mass* Velocity^2.  What you will find is that there is a muzzle energy threshold for your gun. i.e. Ace's S20 runs any ammo with ME of _x_ or greater. when you test, pick a brand of light target load with a particular weight and velocity. All your tuning should be against that load. One less variable.

Tune your gun so that it will reliably run whatever the regulation trap load for 20 ga is.

By the time you are done you will be able to walk into the store and know a couple pairs of numbers. I don't know what those should be for 20ga. Something like this: If the shell has 1 oz of shot, it must be at least _?_FPS. If the shell has 7/8 oz of shot, it must be at least _??_FPS.

Then you can just make a point of buying ammo that is above those baselines and you will know that if the numbers are good, your gun will eat them.*

*If you are at the very bottom known good numbers and looking at some really cheap ammo, Know that the cheapest ammo sometimes falls short of it's claimed performance, so you might  need to buy a step hotter ammo if you are comparing Winchester Universal (Low quality, often short of stated performance, inconsistent.) to Winchester AA (High quality, true to stated performance, consistent.).