The military coup seems legit. They have tanks, helo's, armed soldiers, and have already taken the airport, which is warfare 101. Blowing up the police (those who could oppose them tactically and with firepower) was also strategic. I saw no explanation as to the reason exactly except to "reinstate peace" to the country and establish a constitution.

Any ideas why?

In Turkey, Pakistan, Egypt - the joke was , "some states have an army, in our country, the army has its own state". the military sees itself is a guarantor of social order, secular (to the extent those countries culture allows) rule. the issue all of those states had and have is that demographically secular , educated persons are in significant minority and 'one person, one vote rule'  automatically brings islamists to power ignoring the fact that it is secular part of society that holds all of the finance, military, wealth, and controls society.

so one of two things happen

- if they let 'one person one vote' run amok, they regularly get autocrats/dictators (Morsi in Egypt, Erdogan in Turkey) that move the country towards their consituents and believe themselves to be kings.

- if they dont, they have to regularly overthrow them to remind them who is in charge

in this case, Turkey was horribly mismanaged by a autocrat/dictator who oppressed press, freedom of speech, picked fights with each and every one of its neighbours , lost all friends, and got into stupid fights like downing Russian jet or breaking seizefire with Kurds. possible that military had enough

Ergodumbshit was moving the country toward sharia as fast as he could, and also was supporting isis by letting their oil tankers through.  And at the same time supposedly fighting isis, and being the West's friend.

When you burn a candle at both ends, sooner or later you burn your fingers!

Guess someone got a little pissed at the doubletalk.  Obama should take note!

• Like 1

for the question regarding turkish firearm exports - if anything it should make them more available and cheaper. they would be very interested in hard currency given instability and massive loss of revenue they have taken in tourism sector (conflict with Russia, domestic issues, Kurdish insurgency, and now military coup attempt).

speaking of which, I own tagfoglio pistols in 9mm and find them to be reliable, easy to shoot, low recoil, heavy , full size sidearms. for $250, hard to go wrong

simChi, on 16 Jul 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

speaking of which, I own tagfoglio pistols in 9mm and find them to be reliable, easy to shoot, low recoil, heavy , full size sidearms. for $250, hard to go wrong

You know Tanfoglio is Italian, right?

I agree tho, great Pistols. I own a Stock3 in .45acp.

The issue isn't whether or not Turkey would want to continue exports, but whether our gov would ban imports if they don't "like" the new turk gov.

But apparently the question is moot.

Coup Fails

Our .gov sells to enemies all the time. UAE, Saudi, Egypt, etc.

• Like 2
Our .gov sells to enemies all the time. UAE, Saudi, Egypt, etc.

I didn't say anything about enemies.

Our rulers have a tendency to use excuses to ban the import of firearms and ammunition.  I was wondering if this might be used as yet another excuse to ban imports.  I assumed others would make that same connection since it was so obvious.

• Like 1

Yep for Tanfoglio, but I believe they are made in Turkey. the other name I heard was "kanuk" but I already have glocks so not sure why swap..

Nope, they're Italian.

Canik is the other brand you are thinking of.

A non informed question.  Who is the guy with the beard in uniform?  Also our government probably will not think a bit or too much about the implications regarding the Turkish situation.  Instead "his" focus, (White House) may be more near sighted regarding OUR military's thinking and present level of "pissed off ness"? 

Lots of "hope and change"  being crammed down our military's throat.  Lots of changes being dictated by national command authority.  You can only do this for so long.  Then shit happens.  What is happening in Turkey is an indicator of what happens when a very loosely controlled military gets severely  pissed off?  Not good.

Way back in the wood sailing ship navy era, when the Captain Bligh ass hole captain had pissed off the big crew, at night some would roll cannon balls across the deck, waking up the ass hole captain of the ship.  This was a method of telling the officers that the captain had gone too far with lots of crap.  Are OUR balls rolling?

• Like 1

I really hope this isn't going to be like Libya and Egypt...

Egypt took an unexpected turn and the non-religious military unseated the Muslim Brotherhood. Obama hated it, but he finally agreed to deliver purchased F-16s to Egypt.

They are currently a stable, secular, military dictatorship. Lots of friendly talk with Israel and the Saudis against Iran.

Libya is currently split and stable on one half and unstable on the Syria side, from what I understand.

It's funny how the Liberal Press and Erdogan fall back on the line of, "a democratically elected govt".

As though they could never violate the law!

This is language that can make anyone a criminal. Political Correct speech violates free speech.

Yes, I am a news junky.

My dogs love it, when I sit down, to watch TV.

Edited by Sim_Player

The more we find out about how badly organised and executed this coup was, the more it looks like a theatrical presentation to justify further power grabs by the boss man.

Reichstag fire anyone?  Yep

Never take anything at face value with these fuckers.

• Like 2

The more we find out about how badly organised and executed this coup was, the more it looks like a theatrical presentation to justify further power grabs by the boss man.

Reichstag fire anyone?  Yep

Never take anything at face value with these fuckers.

Tyranny 101.  Create a "threat" that requires drastic measures.  More control.  More power.

Is that what happened in Turkey?  Guess we'll never know for sure.  After all, history is written by the winning side.

Of course that tactic could never be used here.  The American people are way too smart for that.  I mean, right?  *cough cough*

\sarcasm

• Like 2