Factory saiga .308 PG in MD

I bought a saiga .308-1 from my local gun shop, opting it over a factory PG version of the .308.

If anyone in maryland wants to know where the factory PG saiga is at, shoot me a line.

Its priced at 550. I didn't want a brake on my barrel, and the PG had a welded brake on it. The barrel looks to be a 16.3 inch one.

I bought a saiga .308-1 from my local gun shop, opting it over a factory PG version of the .308.

If anyone in maryland wants to know where the factory PG saiga is at, shoot me a line.

Its priced at 550. I didn't want a brake on my barrel, and the PG had a welded brake on it. The barrel looks to be a 16.3 inch one.

From my knowledge they never imported any factory PG'ed Saigas(except the S12k's I believe). Now I have not had experience with them from the beginining of their importation and I may be wrong. If that was truely a Factory one it would be very rare and very valuable. Since no one has ever asked for one or posted one here. It would have to be the only one in the country. Now it may be that it was converted to look like a factory PG one which is most likely the case.

From my knowledge they never imported any factory PG'ed Saigas(except the S12k's I believe). Now I have not had experience with them from the beginining of their importation and I may be wrong. If that was truely a Factory one it would be very rare and very valuable. Since no one has ever asked for one or posted one here. It would have to be the only one in the country. Now it may be that it was converted to look like a factory PG one which is most likely the case.

NOPE!!

It is a factory PG 308. NOT a conversion.

All of the PG .308 that I have heard of were Hesse conversions. If the muzzlebreak is welded, and especially if the welds are crappy, it most likly is a Hesse piece. If so than the price is about right. If it was imported that way it would be worth a lot more.

G O B

I honestly do not believe *ANY* Saiga's were imported with a pg conversion already done... as they wouldnt be allowed in the country due to BATF regs... the shop is probably just blowing smoke up your ass to try to get you to buy one... and they had them converted by someone... I am not saying its a poor conversion... just that it was most likely done in the USA after the fact...

IF they somehow GOT some in the country that way ( read..."smuggled") ... I would be VERY HUSH HUSH about them... as they would be very high on the batf squash list... and if someone was going to smuggle in converted saigas... why those??? why not REAL rifles... like a Russian Dragunov, or F/A anythings...

:smoke:

Yup, not a factory Pistol Grip, sure as hell not a WELDED on muzzle brake!

I ran into one of these idiots at a gun show last fall. Absolutely convinced that the TAPCO side folder, WELDED on muzzle brake, and pistol grip were from the factory. When I saw it, I asked who had done the conversion. The guy claimed it was imported that way. I tried a bit to explain the law and BATF stuff, but eventually had to shake my head and walk away. This guy probably believed Dale Ernhart is the Messiah too. Or at least that mullets really are still cool.

It'd be fun to take a close look at it and then show the dude the U.S. stamps on the various compliance parts. Yeah, Tapco sent a bunch of trigge groups to Izmash AND THEN the Saiga was imported . . . . yeah . . . . okay.

Yup, not a factory Pistol Grip, sure as hell not a WELDED on muzzle brake!

I ran into one of these idiots at a gun show last fall. Absolutely convinced that the TAPCO side folder, WELDED on muzzle brake, and pistol grip were from the factory. When I saw it, I asked who had done the conversion. The guy claimed it was imported that way. I tried a bit to explain the law and BATF stuff, but eventually had to shake my head and walk away. This guy probably believed Dale Ernhart is the Messiah too. Or at least that mullets really are still cool.

It'd be fun to take a close look at it and then show the dude the U.S. stamps on the various compliance parts. Yeah, Tapco sent a bunch of trigge groups to Izmash AND THEN the Saiga was imported . . . . yeah . . . . okay.

The shop didn't tell me it was factory. I assumed it was. The MB is welded to the front sight, whick is pinned to the barrel. They have had these in stock probably since they were imported. I remember looking at the saiga line they had when they first got them many years ago.

The shop still had two saiga 12s that hadn't sold all this time. I went in there to see if they still had them, then bought the .308 when I saw they didn't. The 12s sold a month ago. They were some of the first imports.

Having been duped by a Hesse, with the famous welded MB, as he is about the only one who markets them in that configuration in any large #'s, I am going to have to say the 308 in question is a Hesse, or "Vulcan".

I'll get around to going back and checking it out. Now I am more curious. I posted this to put it out there, not being very knowledgable about saigas until I bought mine.

I gotta say, this forum certainly contains a wealth of information on the subject!

Check out what mags it takes (O.E.M. or other) and whether it has a welded in bullet guide.

Also what kind of pistol grip and buttstock and if there's any U.S. stamps anywhere. FCG included. :smoke:

Check out what mags it takes (O.E.M. or other) and whether it has a welded in bullet guide.

Also what kind of pistol grip and buttstock and if there's any U.S. stamps anywhere. FCG included. :smoke:

I hope they let me take the top cover off. The stock set was a factory forend, and a stock that was exactly the same color, mounted in the same way the factory mounts the sporter stock.

The bullet guide was the first thing I was going to check for!

It takes factory mags.

Edited by headshot

Regardless of WHO made it... ( Converted it I mean)...

IF its decent looking, it will be a reliable rifle. It is a SAIGA after all!!! Hesse is notorious for poor quality conversions... not in parts so much as poor/shoddy workmanship.

Maybe once in a while a good looking one slips thru, I have heard folks from both sides of the fence... Unfortunately, the MAJORITY of those folks are on one side... the poor quality side.

Still... if its a decent looking conversion, and its got a GOOD price attached... and you WANT ONE... by all means grab it up!!! there is nothing that Hesse, or any other converter out there did that cant be undone, and REDONE even better!!! :up:

:smoke: