New member - question about removal of fixed/welded sights.

Hi!

Just a few days ago I took delivery of a hardly used Saiga 12k Tact 2-1. It had only ~200 rounds through it, and came with 3 extra 10rnd magazines and a buttload of chokes for a very good price. The manual states it was built in 2008 and I love the really wierd Engrish translation of the text within. Like "fold the butt" made me chuckle more than I would care to admit.

ySSSVg4.jpg

As you can see from the picture, both the front and rear sights has been welded directly on. I hoped they was going to be pinned sights so I could mount a more or less bolt on picatiny rail, but before I purchased it, I could not find any info about the model and that the damned things was welded on... (and they are not even welded on that straight...) As this will serve as a base for my build, these has to go, as this will transform into a IPSC Open division shotgun.

I tried looking around most Saiga related forums, and even the almighty googlematron failed to find me anyone else that has removed fixed welded sights and mounted rails instead. Another option would to clamp a rail+raiser on the barrel, something that seems popular with Russian IPSC competitors.

The front sight seems to be pretty much dremmel time, but the rear seems a bit more *a little bit here, a little bit there* to get it removed, and hoped someone else might have removed and replaced welded sights before and had perhaps some "for the love of the ghost of stalin, do NOT do this" wisdom to share.

As for the rest of the build it will be pretty much alot of things already posted here about polishing, open up the gasholes under the gasblock (oh how I wished I could find a better adjustable gasplug in Europe..), new stock, grip, extended magrelase, magwell, porting the barrel/mid barrel brake.. etc, and then just getting it to run well :)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by svibeardly

You could clamp it in a mill and mill down the rear site into a flat surface, then mount a small section or rail on there or drill it to accept a mounting plate for a FastFire or some reflex sight.  You can probably leave the front site on in that case

Is the side rail still there?

You meen the mount on the leftside of the reciever for the traditional AK opitcs mount? if so yes, but that will probably also disappear in a cloud of metal shavings.

You can remove that side mount the right way and sell it.

There were a number of guns imported to the USA that DID NOT have that side rail optic mount due to BATFE making some silly ruling.

I don't know what it's worth but it's worth more as a part then a cloud of metal shavings.

AS far as taking the sights off just be careful and go slow it will be fine what ever you put on it.

Rich

Edited by armalite_ar50

Is the side rail still there?

You meen the mount on the leftside of the reciever for the traditional AK opitcs mount? if so yes, but that will probably also disappear in a cloud of metal shavings.

You can remove that side mount the right way and sell it.

There were a number of guns imported to the USA that DID NOT have that side rail optic mount due to BATFE making some silly ruling.

I don't know what it's worth but it's worth more as a part then a cloud of metal shavings.

AS far as taking the sights off just be careful and go slow it will be fine what ever you put on it.

Rich

Well the only sad think about selling it is that I am located in Sweden. A few years ago it was no problem shiping parts & such between USA and Europe but now it is a real hassle. Just finding the parts I want for my build is just an assload of work. There is a store in germany that stocks and ships alot of the things I want, but far from all of them, some I guess I will have to manufacture myself, like a good competition handguard. Some of R&R's stuff can be found over here aswell, but are insanly pricey.