I did models, aircraft and rockets years ago and always enjoyed it. I found the Hasegawa kits to be some of the very best. The Monogram kits back in the day were also pretty good. I learned many techniques like a bit of isopropyl alcohol in h20 and a moist Kleenex to apply to decals that take all the ridges of the model and make them look like they are painted, weathering techniques using India ink and many others but it's like guns and before you know it you have a lot.

A friend owned a hobby shop and had a butload of models from the 50-60s that gave them to my brother and me. Many remain in the boxed but those old kits were really awesome, Disney space exploration kits, Kc135s attached to B47 in flight refueling kits early UH1 Huey's, the visible man, all kinds of cool stuff.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately... This kit couldn't e bothered to show decal placement for 90% of the decals...do I had to do the best I could looking up things went... Anyways...here's the finished SU-27...

0821161745a.jpg

0821161748a.jpg

This one's almost done,too... Cute little 1/72 Saab Draken...

0822162050b.jpg

• Like 2

The latest build is a 1/72 scale Sukhoi Su-47 Berkut (NATO reporting name Firkin).

This plane has got to be one big son of a bitch!! In 1/72 scale its bigger than a 1/48 F16, and nearly as big as a 1/48 Mig29... Probably about the size of the SU27...

0826161931.jpg

Gonna be sharp in all black with grey trim...

The latest build is a 1/72 scale Sukhoi Su-47 Berkut (NATO reporting name Firkin).

This plane has got to be one big son of a bitch!! In 1/72 scale its bigger than a 1/48 F16, and nearly as big as a 1/48 Mig29... Probably about the size of the SU27...

attachicon.gif0826161931.jpg

Gonna be sharp in all black with grey trim...

That's a mean-lookin plane!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-47

Here's where they got their design inspiration:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_X-29

They added a twin-rudder. Other than that'a it's virtually identical.

Grumman_X-29_afg-041110-052.jpg

Like some folks claim their TU-60 is a direct knock off of our B1... except it's not...sure it looks similar, by when you look at the design stream, the timelines, and the needs/mission objectives/technology of the times...you can see it was really their own design, and it looked a lot like ours, as we followed the same design/mission requirements/tech of the day... As far as their few design copying our x-29...sure is possible...but I'm betting they only took the FSW and ran with it. I'm sure very little else is in common with the x29...

Doing another Mig 29, too... Gonna go with a grey/greenish, gear up scheme.,.should look good...

The body on the SU-47 is a LOT wider...they went with 6 internal weapons bays!!

Like some folks claim their TU-60 is a direct knock off of our B1... except it's not...sure it looks similar, by when you look at the design stream, the timelines, and the needs/mission objectives/technology of the times...you can see it was really their own design, and it looked a lot like ours, as we followed the same design/mission requirements/tech of the day... As far as their few design copying our x-29...sure is possible...but I'm betting they only took the FSW and ran with it. I'm sure very little else is in common with the x29...

Doing another Mig 29, too... Gonna go with a grey/greenish, gear up scheme.,.should look good...

The body on the SU-47 is a LOT wider...they went with 6 internal weapons bays!!

It's a truly amazing coincidence that so much of their hardware looks so much like ours, AFTER ours has already been released.

Occam's Razor, bro. Occam's Razor.

• Like 1

Sergei: "Ivan... U S of A makes FSW airplane! Mother land must also have FSW airplane! Tell Sukhoi to build FSW airplane to keep up with American capitalist pigs!!"

Ivan: " Da! Will build FSW airplane bigger and better than American capitalist one! Sukhoi says will flip wings on latest build of SU37, and make new model FSW!"

Lol everyone copies everyone when they do something better... That's just how things go!

But we know that they had to copy our design from the get go... And didn't even start looking into FSW tech until after 1986. It wouldn't make any sense for them to have used any data gleaned from Germany's 1944 JU287, or their Hansa jet from 1964... ☺lol...if anything...we all copied germany!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, excellent work indeed!  As kids we used to make up combined plastic Revel assembly kits of ships and airplanes into very realistic but very non practical Frankensteins.  I think they call it kit bashing today.  My Iowa Class battle wagon had so many guns dripping off it, capsizing would have been instant.  The best, was the BIG B36 Peace Keeper bomber. 

We called it the Peace Breaker!  Had extra nacelles, props, jet engine pods, a huge extended wing and body and had glued on external rack bombs EVERYWHERE.  Very fun.  Got dropped and badly broken.  Pretty much non repairable.  Old.  Got scrapped out with small and big fire crackers, charcoal lighter fluid and mass BB gun fire!!  Regression is very fine indeed!!  :)

Very cool models. I loved building models when I was young. Don't have the time, patience or space to build models anymore. Still have a few kits in the attic, probably melted by now. I really should yard sale them. I built cars, ships, and planes. My favorite I think was my old B17 bomber. I built it to look like it had been thru hell. I took a lighter, tipped the plane nose down, and just past the edge of the flame, circled 2 of the engines to produce a sooty engine fire look. I took a soldering iron and carefully dotted the plane with bullet marks. I created some flak damage with a heat gun softening up the plastic a little and pressing a old iron pyrite rock into it, then pulling it away and using the lighter for the soot marks. I loved that plane. Not sure what happened to it. I built models differently. My 64 had rust holes, cracked windshield, missing hubcaps, etc.. I had nice cars too. But always liked being different. We had a local hobby shop years ago that had competitions and I won a couple times (we get a gift certificate for more crap to build, lol). I also liked Star Trek ships, light kits, battle damage. I used sparklers drawn across the ship to simulate phaser damage. 

My son did get interested in building models, but he's 8 so he can't help but playing with them. We built a snap together General Lee and he already broke it. Even though he has a diecast General Lee to play with. Also built a model of my CRX.