So [being the "hipster" that I am] I was looking into the Ruger Blackhawks chambered in .30 carbine and getting all excited to maybe make that my next firearm I purchase... Until I realized the stats were out of an 18in barrel, not a 7.5in one and out of the Blackhawk a .30 carbine round only has about 10% more power than Tokarev rounds. One thing that still entices me about the .30 carbine Blackhawks is how loud everyone says they are, like jarringly for experienced shooters even.

My current interest is shifting towards .45 Long Colt as it has about the power of .30 carbine out of a 18in barrel, but I wonder if it too would turn heads as the .30 carbine's bark would as realistically its mostly going to get used to make noises and holes in paper at an indoor range filled with people who view my Saiga 12 as if it were the most rare and amazing thing they've ever seen.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well if you want loud get a 7.5" AR with a baffle-style brake.

My 50bmg is pretty darn loud

I have spent real money on high end ear plugs and suppressors to escape loud guns and save what is left of my hearing.   If having a loud gun is your way of impressing people...... You are living a

Posted Images

.45 Colt has marginally the same ballistics as the .45 ACP, but it can be up-loaded for more especially out of a longer barrel. That would definitely create more report than standard loads and more muzzle flash, too. It won't be loud like a rifle caliber out of a short barrel. This is caused by rate of powder burn and barrel length and a bunch of other factors. Shooting .45 Colt out of a long barrel is relatively quiet and has a soft recoil, too.

• Like 1

45 Colt/44magnum HEAVY FRAME revolver using heavy Win 296 or H110 loads. Fireball machine.

If you're not into reloading, an AK pistol is pretty loud in 7.62x39.

Almost any rifle caliber handgun is going to be insanely loud.

This 7.62x54R handgun would fit the bill nicely. That caliber is loud out of a Mosin Nagant, let alone a handgun.

RPK handgun:

1553444_413576502109448_1217532470_o-730

Edited by patriot
  • Like 3

What exactly are you wanting to buy? A paper-puncher or a fireball-spitting, eardrum-rupturing hand cannon? For the former I would recommend a Ruger GP100 so you could shoot .357mag or .38special. For the latter you should get a .44mag snubbie.

Another option is something in .460 S&W, which would also let you shoot .454 Casull and .45 Long Colt.

Edited by Heartbreaker
  • Like 1

Loudness is usually related to muzzle pressure. Guns that generate high pressure at the muzzle (AR15s in general, SBR AR15s in particular) are usually seen as "louder" than guns with lower muzzle pressure, as the crack will be much sharper. If that makes sense.

Why would anyone want a revolver chambered in .30 carbine? I'm failing to see the appeal.

45 Colt/44magnum HEAVY FRAME revolver using heavy Win 296 or H110 loads. Fireball machine.

This 7.62x54R handgun would fit the bill nicely. That caliber is loud out of a Mosin Nagant, let alone a handgun.

RPK handgun:

Wow so Black Horse is back? Last I remember, they burned a bunch of customers (and Atlantic Firearms IIRC) over non-existant parts/firearms and went out of business. Anyone know the story? New ownership or something? Looks like they're still making a bunch of the PSL/SVD stuff that would certainly be desirable if functional and/or obtainable.

Concerning the (photoshopped) 54R pistol, are we not still threatening to burn manufacturers at the stake for making a 54R pistol and getting surplus ammo banned?

RPK handgun:

Wow so Black Horse is back? Last I remember, they burned a bunch of customers (and Atlantic Firearms IIRC) over non-existant parts/firearms and went out of business. Anyone know the story? New ownership or something? Looks like they're still making a bunch of the PSL/SVD stuff that would certainly be desirable if functional and/or obtainable.

Concerning the (photoshopped) 54R pistol, are we not still threatening to burn manufacturers at the stake for making a 54R pistol and getting surplus ammo banned?

Dunno.

Well if you want loud get a 7.5" AR with a baffle-style brake.

^^^This^^^

I have a Miculek comp on a 16" barrel upper.  Muzzle rise is pretty much eliminated, but muzzle blast/concussion is obnoxious, rivaling SVT Tokarev.  7.5" barrel muzzle blast would probably be stunning.

In this case, your literal best 'bang-for-the-buck' would be a 7.5" AR pistol. 

Snub 460 mag might run slightly higher muzzle pressure. Lots more $, but apparently quite effective if you're looking for 'Holy cow! WTF?' reactions at the range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp5mT8bg1Cs

Loudness is usually related to muzzle pressure. Guns that generate high pressure at the muzzle (AR15s in general, SBR AR15s in particular) are usually seen as "louder" than guns with lower muzzle pressure, as the crack will be much sharper. If that makes sense.

Why would anyone want a revolver chambered in .30 carbine? I'm failing to see the appeal.

Because at one time .30 Carbine surplus ammo was dirt cheap & didn't have any of those nasty mercuric primers in it. :up:

You are kind of stuck using only 110 grain .30 caliber bullets though (the soft point Speer plinker (I think?) bullets make it marginally better for self defense than the ball ammo).  The .357 Magnum (and all of the bullet weights offered for it) make it a much more useful firearm though. 027.gif 

• Like 1

Novelty as well, I'd think, though with the limited chamberings available that seems unlikely. I also heard most laymen upon looking at a .30 carbine bullet think its a revolver round due to the long, torpedo-like shape of the bullet and casing. The Dunham's by my house has a shit-on of Tula .30 carbine which is what got me thinking of it in the first place. 

Do they make piston AR pistols? Because the buffer tube hanging out the back reminds me of a NERF gun. I realize the N-Strike toys are meant to resemble real firearms in a lot of ways and so its THEM that resemble an AR pistol but I saw the toys first and can't shake the image. 

The .460 magnum is one of the guns that got me hooked on shooting [can't really say as if it was that, the FN 5.7 or 1911 was most responsible] so I know about them and how expensive they are. Before the S12 drew my attention I was planning to get a 10.5in performance center as my first gun. 

I figured .45 Colt was a quiet round seeing as .45acp is normally subsonic so .45 Colt would reasonably be a quiet round since it is also a big bumbly bullet going at relatively lower velocities. 

I shot a long-barreled S&W 626 and didn't really like it. If not for my good reflexes I'd of bonked myself on the head with my first shot, I never expected that much muzzle-flip. the .460 always recoiled straight back like a howitzer. 

If you get a .30 carbine Blackhawk & decide to try the Tula ammo, I'd advise getting ONE box to try it out, NOT a whole case.beaten.gif

Rough-assed steel cases tend to stick in carbine, requiring a cleaning rod to knock 'em loose. Might not be as bad in a revolver but I wouldn't count on it. 

Remington & Prvi ammo work for me, YMMV.

Edited by Hawk451
  • Like 1

Do they make piston AR pistols? Because the buffer tube hanging out the back reminds me of a NERF gun. I realize the N-Strike toys are meant to resemble real firearms in a lot of ways and so its THEM that resemble an AR pistol but I saw the toys first and can't shake the image. 

Piston ARs still have a buffer tube because they still have a buffer and a buffer spring.

If you don't like the plain tube then use a Blade or get a PLR-16

• Like 1

I have spent real money on high end ear plugs and suppressors to escape loud guns and save what is left of my hearing.

If having a loud gun is your way of impressing people......

You are living a very shallow life

Right?!

• Like 1