"Noise" discussions always remind me of the shootouts from the movie HEAT with Val Kilmer and Robert DeNiro. You'd hear the "bang, bang, bang" of the AR's, then the "BOOM, BOOM, BOOM" of the HK .308 that Kilmer used.  :up:

My AR pistol came with what I'd call a "flash enhancer" and made truly impressive fireballs at the range. Almost unusable at an indoor range due to the noise and flames. I bought a Claymore brake for it which was a big improvement! Now the flames and noise go more downrange, instead of sideways.  :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well if you want loud get a 7.5" AR with a baffle-style brake.

My 50bmg is pretty darn loud

I have spent real money on high end ear plugs and suppressors to escape loud guns and save what is left of my hearing.   If having a loud gun is your way of impressing people...... You are living a

Posted Images

...I bought a Claymore brake for it which was a big improvement! Now the flames and noise go more downrange, instead of sideways.  smile.png

I really like the Levang Linear comp on my AR for the same reason. 

• Like 1

The 7.5" Kitty Kat is definitely the loudest firearm I own, more so than the 8" 12 gauge or even the 30" .50BMG (yes, really). It really does clear the bench at public ranges and, as mentioned, you feel it in your sinuses. Minor hearing damage is assured, even with plugs and muffs.

DSC0542750_zps46a73dff.jpg

I don't know if anyone is "impressed" by its loudness. Annoyed, maybe.

• Like 2

Loud is only impressive on Independence Day.

Wouldn't be safe to assume that most people at the range are wearing ear protection anyhow?

The people that show up to public ranges to impress crack me up.

I'm there to shoot and have my own fun. Could care less what or how loud the next guys gun is.

I can appreciate a good loud M80, however.

• Like 2

I think the ak pistol has more of a boom and the ar pistol has more of a crack both are stupid loud. and I say stupid loud as the is no need for it lol if I could suppress all my guns I would. but if you really must make a bang I might suggest http://www.firequest.com/G12-037.html for your shotgun good times especially if wait till dusk starts to settle in

• Like 1

I think the ak pistol has more of a boom and the ar pistol has more of a crack both are stupid loud. and I say stupid loud as the is no need for it lol if I could suppress all my guns I would. but if you really must make a bang I might suggest http://www.firequest.com/G12-037.html for your shotgun good times especially if wait till dusk starts to settle in

I make something very much like this for our night shoots. The concussion feels like you got punched in the chest.

Think grain silo explosion.

Loudness isn't the sole criteria I'm going on, but it is something I consider as I do enjoy turning heads at the range. Truth be told no one gives a flying fuck about my Tokarev but I still shoot it x2 to x4 as much as my long guns because I feel like I need to practice with it more as I have a harder time being dead accurate with it than a long gun and that its just fun to shoot. I'd like if people fawned over it like my Saiga but I'm not going to ditch it for that reason.

Once, I took my SKS, with a 75rnd drum, to an indoor range.

It turned a lot of heads!

75 seconds of 7.62x39 bang!

30 seconds would have been more fun!

You can't work your finger faster than once a second? Is it broken?? haha.gif

.45 Colt has marginally the same ballistics as the .45 ACP, but it can be up-loaded for more especially out of a longer barrel. That would definitely create more report than standard loads and more muzzle flash, too. It won't be loud like a rifle caliber out of a short barrel. This is caused by rate of powder burn and barrel length and a bunch of other factors. Shooting .45 Colt out of a long barrel is relatively quiet and has a soft recoil, too.

Not if it is full power loading. Most of the current offerings are downloaded a lot from historical ballistics.

Why would anyone want a revolver chambered in .30 carbine? I'm failing to see the appeal.

two reasons. 1 you are an old guy who uses a M1 a lot as a ranch gun and you want a companion pistol. Hint, it's old guys who buy blackhawks anyway. 2, it's a slim cartridge so like .327 federal, you could get one more shot in the same size of cylinder than you would for a ~9mm cartridge. light recoil for a pest control game getter type round.

3rd reason. 30 carbine ammo used to be plentiful cheap surplus, so older versions were cool for tightwads who wanted to shoot a lot. Now that doesn't apply, but the ' I always kinda wanted one of those, like my uncle Jake had' effect kicks in.

• Like 1

.45 Colt has marginally the same ballistics as the .45 ACP, but it can be up-loaded for more especially out of a longer barrel. That would definitely create more report than standard loads and more muzzle flash, too. It won't be loud like a rifle caliber out of a short barrel. This is caused by rate of powder burn and barrel length and a bunch of other factors. Shooting .45 Colt out of a long barrel is relatively quiet and has a soft recoil, too.

Not if it is full power loading. Most of the current offerings are downloaded a lot from historical ballistics.

Why would anyone want a revolver chambered in .30 carbine? I'm failing to see the appeal.

two reasons. 1 you are an old guy who uses a M1 a lot as a ranch gun and you want a companion pistol. Hint, it's old guys who buy blackhawks anyway. 2, it's a slim cartridge so like .327 federal, you could get one more shot in the same size of cylinder than you would for a ~9mm cartridge. light recoil for a pest control game getter type round.

3rd reason. 30 carbine ammo used to be plentiful cheap surplus, so older versions were cool for tightwads who wanted to shoot a lot. Now that doesn't apply, but the ' I always kinda wanted one of those, like my uncle Jake had' effect kicks in.

I love my AutoMag III. Not much recoil, very accurate, and makes an "earth-shattering KABOOM!" when fired.

kaboom.jpg

I love my AutoMag III. Not much recoil, very accurate, and makes an "earth-shattering KABOOM!" when fired.

kaboom.jpg

AutoMag 44, makes me think of the good old days!

Would .45 Colt be a little less quiet out of something like a Public Defender or Governor?

I think you are over-analyzing.

Most short barreled pistols are loud as hell.

Wanna get louder? Step up the caliber.

A good muzzle-brake can tame it and make it louder. If you can find one for that particular gun.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

Would .45 Colt be a little less quiet out of something like a Public Defender or Governor?

A good muzzle-brake can tame it and make it louder. If you can find one for that particular gun.

you're not wrong, over-analyzing is probably my default setting. I don't like surprises and/or unknown factors which of course I can never avoid. So as time goes on I gather more and more things I'd like to know before deciding on what to aim towards.

you're not wrong, over-analyzing is probably my default setting. I don't like surprises and/or unknown factors which of course I can never avoid. So as time goes on I gather more and more things I'd like to know before deciding on what to aim towards.

I tend to do the same. No worries.

• Like 1

Two thoughts.

1:Why not find somewhere that rents guns and try out your potential purchase for loudness?

2:I just don't get why you want the boom and muzzle flash. I bought suppressors specifically to eliminate the "earth shattering boom".

• Like 1

Two thoughts.

1:Why not find somewhere that rents guns and try out your potential purchase for loudness?

2:I just don't get why you want the boom and muzzle flash. I bought suppressors specifically to eliminate the "earth shattering boom".

1. Of the two major gun rental places I've been to by my house the oddest rental is a Coonan .357 1911. My regular range used to have a Ruger Alaskan, .50 ae Deagle, .500mag, and .460mag but they got tired of people shooting out the fluorescent lights and shooting the arms off the target carriers. I might have to test my Google Fu to find a rental place with odder guns to shoot.

I do plan to try .45 Colt out of a Governor tuesday and see what that is like. 

2. I guess the same way people drill holes in the mufflers of their Mustangs? Since the vast majority of my time shooting is at an indoor range that markets itself heavily to newbies it really does devolve into [to paraphrase Lehm from the series Jormungand] a farting contest where if something rises about the steady drum of AR15s, 9mm Glocks, and .38 Specials everyone turns and looks with childlike wonder.

As this is where I was "raised" as a shooter I'm drawn to things with a loud, room-quieting crack. Admittedly, as someone who's jumped the gun and shot my Saiga at geese before putting my hearing protection in, I can understand the appeal of a suppressed gun for home defense but that aside any firearm is going to blow my ears out if I have to shoot up my basement stairs through a narrow hallway  so I'm not focusing on that. 

Shit if you want an insanely loud head turner, get a ptr-915 or pdw or whatever they are called now.

It's a 9" .308. Imagine a draco of hk-91s.

Loud as shit, spits fire, and kind of fun to shoot.

I can imagine, seeing as my 18in PTR91 already turns a lot of heads when I shoot [not as many as a .270 or 300win mag though]. 

I was thinking the same thing, modify the prints on the .308 loudener to have the HK thread pattern instead. (15x1mm if I remember right).

Eventually I'd like to make a single shot, contender style pistol in 7.62x39 with 6" barrel and a loudener.

I shoot at public range where there are quite a few people that think they don't need hearing protection, I'd like to show them otherwise. 

I've got a better idea.  Just put a few pounds of tannerite on your shooting bench and then put the muzzle of your rifle right against the tannerite and shoot it.

That will sure teach them to wear hearing protection!  Am I right???

Fucking assholes who don't wear hearing protection deserve whatever they get!!!!

I've got a better idea.  Just put a few pounds of tannerite on your shooting bench and then put the muzzle of your rifle right against the tannerite and shoot it.

That will sure teach them to wear hearing protection!  Am I right???

Fucking assholes who don't wear hearing protection deserve whatever they get!!!!

You'll wanna bring a dump truck to carry off the shattered benches.

..a meat wagon wouldn't hurt either.