So been looking into 3gun shoots,and it looks like I'm stuck to open class unless I want to buy a new shotgun. My question is, am I wrong? And if not why the hate for mag fed shotguns, if the handguns and rifles are mag fed why cant the shotgun be? Have asked this to some of the local guys and really never got a good answer that doesn't make me ask "then why aren't you restricted to box fed rifles and revolvers.

only ask as my guns are stock I don't do a lot to them and I only run an optic on my rifle, so I'm not sure I could stack up vs the guys with the modified guns. And I don't really want to drop the $$ to upgrade my current guns or buy a decent tube fed semi auto shotgun

A huge part of the skill set for shotgun in 3 gun is the ability to load VERY quickly

A mag fed gun in any class other than open would put all other competitors at a marked disadvantage

Unlike USPSA pistol matches, high dollar open class pistols are of very little benefit in 3 gun.

A  quality stock AR with a reasonable optic is plenty good for 3 gun.

How you stack up against other shooters is much more about your skills (or lack thereof)  than your equipment

A possible exception is if you  try to use an AK as your rifle if there are long range targets

No matter what hobby you choose, or what class you shoot in or what car you drive ect ect

There will always be people with more expensive and better stuff than you have.

In the end its mostly the man....not the machine

just shoot in open with the equipment you have

If you ever get good enough that your equipment is holding you back.....upgrade

Edited by unforgiven
  • Like 3

How you stack up against other shooters is much more about your skills (or lack thereof)  than your equipment

A possible exception is if you  try to use an AK as your rifle if there are long range targets

Thanks, I suppose I was just a bit intimidated by the big money guns, possibly because the guys with them are good regardless and I just wanted to attribute that to having 2k+ wrapped up in 1 gun. Had planned on using my AR not my AK and on the fence for pistol its my old reliable Taurus PT92 or my new Springfield XD as it came with a nice holster and mag holder.

As far as skill goes I don't have much of an ego so I know I'm not the best out there, but it is competition so I will want to be haha.gif

But regardless looks like it will be fun that's the main point, and a change of pace from the backyard range.

A huge part of the skill set for shotgun in 3 gun is the ability to load VERY quickly

that's basically the answer I always get, now I'm not naive enough to think the entire 3 gun community is going to be like 'wow this guy who hasn't even done a 3 gun shoot is making some good points we should listen to him', especially since they cant even seem to agree on 1 set of rules as is, But as someone on the outside looking in it's some flawed logic that the ability to manually load your gun quickly is only applied to 1 of the 3 guns and not all 3. just my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...

As a wise man once said, "They hate us Cuz they Ain't us"

It's kind of like comparing stock car racing to formula one.

Magazine fed shotguns that work are just a whole ton of fun.

And in terms of shooting sports, I can't think of anything less fun then port loading shotgun shells from a belt rig while trying to walk fast. It's just ridiculous and I will never do it. To me it makes about as much sense to me as using a Mosin Nagant as my competition carbine.

Do mag fed shotties have an advantage? Of course. But anyone can gain have that advantage, for about the same price as a Versamax.

But until recently there has been very little support/aftermarket for creating a true competition AK shotgun unless you lay out big big bucks up front. The ones hating don't see the blood sweat and tears behind the smooth running Vepr's and Saiga's. And they don't have to understand anyway. I'm not competing against them, or for them.

I'm competing to promote my sponsors and against those in my division.

-V

• Like 2