Coyote got one of my chickens in broad daylight.

Fucker.

It's open season all year on yotes in IL.

I'm baiting it now with cat food and gizzards, trying to make it comfortable so I can get a shot off my deck.

Other idea is an automated call (cell phone app) coming from an area other then where I'll be posted up so I can keep the attention off of me. I know they are very wiley haha

I know where they (I've heard at least 2 pups whining and yelping late at night) spend alot of time on the property evidenced by tracks, late night noises and destroyed/eaten corn crops.

Any tips?

Edited by Mullet Man

Yep, the Coyotes are pretty brazen this time of year. They like the cover of high grass and are stealthy and quick to get in and out.

I see them sometimes (useally when I dont have a rifle on me) creeping up on our free range chickens or the pond when the ducks are down there. I haven't been lucky enough to cap one yet. They normally take one or two fowl per month in broad daylight.

But the major culprits that get my birds are coons and opossums. In a little over a week they decimated my chicken and guinea flock. (over 30 birds)

I started Trapping with good results. 5 coons and 4 opossums this last week. 2 of the opossums had litters of babies still wiggling in the pouch.

I bait with hotdogs. 2 traps are the jaw type that breaks the neck and my favorite is what I lovingly call 'The Cookie Jar'. Its a little tube that has a bar that clamps shut on their paw when they try to get food out of it. Its very effective and insidious, you put pieces of hotdog around it and then fill up the tube.

They get the free meal and can even reach into it and get more. But there is a trigger in the middle and they can push down on the trigger with no effect but when they try to get the food thats under the trigger and pull up, well thats when they get caught. The only way to escape is to naw off their arm.

They are really pissed when you walk up to kill them.

• Like 3

Yep, the Coyotes are pretty brazen this time of year. They like the cover of high grass and are stealthy and quick to get in and out.

I see them sometimes (useally when I dont have a rifle on me) creeping up on our free range chickens or the pond when the ducks are down there. I haven't been lucky enough to cap one yet. They normally take one or two fowl per month in broad daylight.

But the major culprits that get my birds are coons and opossums. In a little over a week they decimated my chicken and guinea flock. (over 30 birds)

I started Trapping with good results. 5 coons and 4 opossums this last week. 2 of the opossums had litters of babies still wiggling in the pouch.

I bait with hotdogs. 2 traps are the jaw type that breaks the neck and my favorite is what I lovingly call 'The Cookie Jar'. Its a little tube that has a bar that clamps shut on their paw when they try to get food out of it. Its very effective and insidious, you put pieces of hotdog around it and then fill up the tube.

They get the free meal and can even reach into it and get more. But there is a trigger in the middle and they can push down on the trigger with no effect but when they try to get the food thats under the trigger and pull up, well thats when they get caught. The only way to escape is to naw off their arm.

They are really pissed when you walk up to kill them.

The Cookie Jar trick is used to catch monkeys too. No trigger just a jar tied to something. The monkey reaches in to get the treat, and can't get his hand back out through the jar neck without letting go of the treat. He won't let go, so he's trapped.

Sim_Player, on 12 Aug 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:Sim_Player, on 12 Aug 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

You did not say how it got it.

That should be your focus.

Chickens were free ranging and they were around the base of an evergreen/spruce tree. All I heard was the rest of the chickens going nuts. I walked out to a mess of chicken feathers on the ground and one or two feathers hear and there in a fading trail across the yard.

The woman saw it the other morning and said its about the size of an Australian heeler, 40-50lbs or so. She wasn't able to get her rifle in time before it was gone.

Edited by Mullet Man

Sim_Player, on 12 Aug 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:Sim_Player, on 12 Aug 2016 - 12:28 AM, said:

You did not say how it got it.

That should be your focus.

Chickens were free ranging and they were around the base of an evergreen/spruce tree. All I heard was the rest of the chickens going nuts. I walked out to a mess of chicken feathers on the ground and one or two feathers hear and there in a fading trail across the yard.

The woman saw it the other morning and said its about the size of an Australian heeler, 40-50lbs or so. She wasn't able to get her rifle in time before it was gone.

Damn. That sucks. They would be hard to defend.

Lots of cats and small dogs go missing around here.

Fucker.

It's open season all year on yotes in IL.

I'm baiting it now with cat food and gizzards, trying to make it comfortable so I can get a shot off my deck.

Other idea is an automated call (cell phone app) coming from an area other then where I'll be posted up so I can keep the attention off of me. I know they are very wiley haha

I know where they (I've heard at least 2 pups whining and yelping late at night) spend alot of time on the property evidenced by tracks, late night noises and destroyed/eaten corn crops.

Any tips?

I haven't posted in awhile but I can help you

1 get a nuisance liscence so you wont pay a ticket from dept of fish and wildlife

2 get on you tube and search how to catch coyotes with leg hold traps , I assume they are legal in your state

3 make dirt hole sets and spray fox or coyote urine on the back of the hole  DO NOT USE ANY BAIT

the hole is what attracts them and the scent of another canine think mouse size hole

4 BUY A COUPLE OF QUALITY LEG HOLD TRAPS [ SOMETHING THAT IS BASEPLATED , 4 COILED  , AND HAS A CENTER SWIVEL

5 BUY A DOZEN BERKSHIRE DISPPOSABLE STAKES  GOOGLE THEM DO NOT DRIVE A STAKE IN THE GROUND AS THEY WILL PULL IT UP AND RUN OFF WITH IT

your problem will never go away as long as you have chickens

you don't have to set the traps close to the house you can go 150 yards to a 1/2 mile away and this method will wear their ass out

People don't think you can go out in the middle of the field and catch them but they have roads everywhere you just don't know what to look for so I am going to tell you

WHERE EVER A ROAD DIRT OR GRAVEL  MEETS A CROP CHANGE THINK CORN TO GRASS OR HAY YOU CAN SET 2 DIRT HOLES THERE ABOUT 15 FEET APART  AND YOU WILL CATCH 2 AT A TIME  ON OCCASION YOU WANT TO PUT THEM WERE THE PREVAILING WIND BLOWS ACROSS THE ROAD

IF YOU HAVE ANY GULLEYS OR WASHES WATER HAS TO RUN SOMEWHERE PUT 2 ON EACH SIDE 

I HOPE THIS HELPS I HAVE ONLY BEEN DOING IT ABOUT 35 YEARS

P.S. ITS THE COONS EATING THE CORN AND IF YOU SHOOT A COYOTE  WITH THE ELECTRONIC CALLER YOU PROBALY WONT GET BUT ONE OR TWO AND THEY WILL WISE UP FAST. I PROMISE YOU HAVE MORE THAN 1 OR 2

planning on trying to shoot them is a waste of your time as they know when you are gone and that's when they come when it is quiet and no humans around if you see one they have been their for a while

THE BEST BAIT TO USE FOR COONS IS OREO'S AND MARSHMALLOWS AND JELLY GRAPE OR BLACKBERRY ITS LIKE KRYPTONITE TO THEM

you can cut 2 notches in a five gallon bucket and slide the coney bear traps you have in them but you have to stake the bucket down or it will move

Good Luck pm me if you need more help

• Like 1