Lastest Interesting S12 Race Gun Build

Hi all-  here is my latest race S12 build -  My best ever so far and only one in existence.   Has a railed/hinged dust cover I machined.    I also made the carbon fiber hand guard and the stock adapter.     The stock is offset up so the center line of your shoulder is in the center line of the bore.  Has a  1" recoil pad and the stock is shortened so the trigger pull length is exactly   the same as an AR15.  . The barrel is 16" and internally threaded for chokes with a pinned and welded compensator for a legal overall length.   The axis pins are machined from polished 4130 steel and are keyed into a retaining plate for anit-rotation and no possibility of falling out.  AR style safety.   Titanium piston rod, gas puck and a lightened bolt carrier.   Fully adjustable trigger with 3# trigger pull - slight takeup and no overtravel. .  Custom made precision ground guide rod with fully progresssive spring  increasing from 11# to 16# .   Tungsten  and graphite black cerakote over  Type III hard anodize on all aluminum parts.   Range test record on plate racks = 18 targets in 6.8 seconds.  Almost no muzzle climb and the modest recoil impulse is straight back into shoulder.

post-31037-0-66597300-1471102010.jpg

post-31037-0-59344700-1471102030_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

All I can say is the machining makes a lot of chips.    I've been wanting to do a hinged dust cover for a long time.    It's been an evolution -- Here's one of my other S12s  -  I didn't like the optic height over bore (which is at the minimum to get the dust cover off).

post-31037-0-49389200-1471494239_thumb.jpg

I like the hinged dust cover and offset stock much  better -  less recoil, easier to take apart, any rail mount optic fits, better height over bore and better optic placement on the rail.

post-31037-0-64171400-1471494428_thumb.jpg

Magwell is R&R as is the pistol grip adapter.  They make great stuff.   The hand guard is 1.875 O.D. x .060" wall carbon fiber tube.  Readily available on Ebay.   Some machining and aluminum welding to make the tube ends, then hard anodized. When machining the carbon fiber I wear a respirator and use a vacuum to suck up the dust.  Stuff is bad news to breathe.  Carbide cuts it fine. I get a close a possible with a Dremel cut off wheel, then machine the rest with a carbide end mill.

post-31037-0-75802600-1472010088_thumb.jpg

post-31037-0-21870400-1472010106_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Magwell is R&R as is the pistol grip adapter.  They make great stuff.   The hand guard is 1.875 O.D. x .060" wall carbon fiber tube.  Readily available on Ebay.   Some machining and aluminum welding to make the tube ends, then hard anodized. When machining the carbon fiber I wear a respirator and use a vacuum to suck up the dust.  Stuff is bad news to breathe.  Carbide cuts it fine. I get a close a possible with a Dremel cut off wheel, then machine the rest with a carbide end mill.

You are beyond the normal "gun nut"

Do you make aircraft parts or something?  If you don't mind me asking

Thanks for the how-to. I've toyed with doing that a few times. I want some roughly triangular tube 

What were your search terms? ebay sucks for finding dimensional materials.