California quandary...

Effective 1-1-2017, all semi-auto rifles that have an evil feature (pistol grip, flash hider, collapsable stock) and have a magazine that can be removed without totally disassembling the weapon must be registered as an assault weapon.  NO more mag-lock or bullet button work around.  It can not be passed down to family members in the state, and you are limited where you can shoot it.  Saiga sporters, M1 Carbine, KelTec SU16s, Ruger Mini14/30, SKS, and M1A are exempt, as they have no evil features.  The good news is (if there is any) once it is registered as an assault weapon, you no longer need the bullet button or pinned stocks.

Here's they Saiga IZ132I AKM-ed.  I don't know whether to restore it to stock sporter to avoid registration, or register so I can loose the mag lock and un-pin the stock!  It is so freaking hot as it is!

RAW1_zpshrgw1ej6.jpg

RAW3_zps0xn9l5k6.jpg

RAW2_zpsevxiztjg.jpg

The one Tula Bakie in it is rivet blocked to 10 rounds, and the Polish stock is bolted in the open position by a long tang bolt that engages the arm and blocks folding.

It is a Com-Block solidarity build:  Russian Saiga, East German vented gas tube, cleaning rod, and grey canvas sling , Bulgarian laminate top handguard on the gas tube, Romanian bakelite pistol grip and "donkey dick" handguard with grip, Polish Tantal folding stock (military version that has one top bolt and engages the pistol grip nut).  US 922R parts are Tapco G2 FCG and Gas Piston, US made bolt hold open mag followers from Desert Fox, US made Tactical Tri Delta Brake (no longer produced).

Edited by imarangemaster

I can't answer for you, and I am sorry that so many in CA have thrown their freedom away by accepting this. All I can say with certainty is when (not if) this becomes a quandary for all of us on a federal level, I will not comply and will be organized with like minded citizens.

• Like 4

Are you seriously considering registering it?

Yes. I could go featureless to avoid registration, but I would have to remove the forward grip and keep the stock pinned, and put a grip wrap on again; which sort off defeats the purpose of the build.  I had it with a kydex paddle and fixed stock for featureless already.  

They  (the gun grabbers) read Calguns, too. I really seriously doubt that kydex grip wrap featureless builds will survive some Attorney General's administrative ruling that because it has a grip underneath...etc.  Hmmerheads and MMGs are probably the best bet, but I am not holding my breath on them.  One of my 3 ARs will have a hammerhead and stay unregistered.

I shot it up by my daughter's place in Medford Oregon like this, and it was absolutely nuts how cool it was to shoot with folding stock, forward grip, and 30s....  I have been doing AKs since the mid 80s (I had a RAW Chinese back in the 90s), including assorted fixed and underfolder RPKs (AES 10Bs), Yugo M70s, WASRs, East German, Polish, Saiga conversions in assorted calibers, etc.  This is absolutely my favorite configuration. If you use the sling to "backpack it" it is very comfortable and out of the way.  Chinese 4 cell Type 81 chest pouch on the front, and AK on the back is very balanced.

I can't answer for you, and I am sorry that so many in CA have thrown their freedom away by accepting this. All I can say with certainty is when (not if) this becomes a quandary for all of us on a federal level, I will not comply and will be organized with like minded citizens.

Nice thought, but refusing to register makes me a felon.  I've worked the Jails as a deputy.  I have no desire to be on the other side of the bars, and believe me, you would be if caught. They win then, too.  

It is also easy to say "move out of state".  Easier said than done.  Kids and grandkids all over the state.  Moving away from them just to not register is stupid. It is letting them deprive me of access to my family.  They win in that scenario, also.

They have had registration of AWs in 1990 and 2000.  Those weapons are still in the hands of their owners for the last 26 years.

If I register, I keep my guns, and keep my home, job, and family.  If they do confiscate years down the road, they all go to Oregon.

Yes, the law is a load of horse sh*t.  It is unfair and I believe unconstitutional.

Edited by imarangemaster
  • Like 1

Are you seriously considering registering it?

Yes. I could go featureless to avoid registration, but I would have to remove the forward grip and keep the stock pinned, and put a grip wrap on again; which sort off defeats the purpose of the build.  I had it with a kydex paddle and fixed stock for featureless already.  

They  (the gun grabbers) read Calguns, too. I really seriously doubt that kydex grip wrap featureless builds will survive some Attorney General's administrative ruling that because it has a grip underneath...etc.  Hmmerheads and MMGs are probably the best bet, but I am not holding my breath on them.  One of my 3 ARs will have a hammerhead and stay unregistered.

I shot it up by my daughter's place in Medford Oregon like this, and it was absolutely nuts how cool it was to shoot with folding stock, forward grip, and 30s....  I have been doing AKs since the mid 80s (I had a RAW Chinese back in the 90s), including assorted fixed and underfolder RPKs (AES 10Bs), Yugo M70s, WASRs, East German, Polish, Saiga conversions in assorted calibers, etc.  This is absolutely my favorite configuration. If you use the sling to "backpack it" it is very comfortable and out of the way.  Chinese 4 cell Type 81 chest pouch on the front, and AK on the back is very balanced.

Nice thought, but refusing to register makes me a felon.  I've worked the Jails as a deputy.  I have no desire to be on the other side of the bars, and believe me, you would be if caught. They win then, too.  

It is also easy to say "move out of state".  Easier said than done.  Kids and grandkids all over the state.  Moving away from them just to not register is stupid. It is letting them deprive me of access to my family.  They win in that scenario, also.

They have had registration of AWs in 1990 and 2000.  Those weapons are still in the hands of their owners for the last 26 years.

If I register, I keep my guns, and keep my home, job, and family.  If they do confiscate years down the road, they all go to Oregon.

Yes, the law is a load of horse sh*t.  It is unfair and I believe unconstitutional.

It sounds to me like you've already got your mind made up.

• Like 1

Estimates are approximately 95% noncompliance with the NYSafeAct. Just sayin'.

Registration leads to confiscation, without question.

Edit to add: This is a very difficult decision for some, very easy for others. It's also very personal when it comes to a choice that turns you into a felon simply by noncompliance with an unconstitutional bit of legislation enacted by people that it WON'T affect.

Edited by YOT

Edit to add: This is a very difficult decision for some, very easy for others. It's also very personal when it comes to a choice that turns you into a felon simply by noncompliance with an unconstitutional bit of legislation enacted by people that it WON'T affect.

Agree! 

• Like 1

Sounds like it's time for you to register them then. Hope it all works out well for you.

A quote from John Adams comes to mind here....

True,  but there were a lot more issues than gun control that the colonists revolted against.  If you look at the Bill or Rights, the British were pretty much doing all of the things listed to the Colonists.

Sounds like it's time for you to register them then. Hope it all works out well for you.

A quote from John Adams comes to mind here....

True,  but there were a lot more issues than gun control that the colonists revolted against.  If you look at the Bill or Rights, the British were pretty much doing all of the things listed to the Colonists.

And your point is? Look around....the government is pretty much doing the same things that we revolted over and put the bill of rights in place to protect. FTR...I am not busting your balls here. You need to do what your conscience tells you to do. I will not register when the time comes. Go to prison on gun charges???? I can assure you that if that scenario materializes, I would not go to prison. More than likely I would be going to the morgue, but I will make sure I take several of the Confiscators with me. I have never broken a law in my life, not even misdemeanor. I can assure you that the moment I am made a felon by a bunch of politicians, it will be my breaking point, and I will start acting the label. At that point it will be them that need to be worried.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Well, I decided. I returned the Saiga to Sporter (sort of, I used standard AKM gas tube and handguard), and bought  a Hungarian under-folder from Atlantic Firearms.  It will be at my dealer day after tomorrow.  

I mounted a Tasco red/green dot on the Saiga for a hog-thumper, and the Hungarian will get registered.  I felt if I was going to register anything, it would have to be cool enough to make it worth the hassle!:D

Semi-featureless_zpsv7za6ojt.jpg

hsreduf%201%20of%2016_zpsf9cig6gn.jpg

The saiga goes nicely with my other featureless gweapons: Kel-Tech SU-16 B, and Inland M1 carbine.

Kel%20Tec_zpsgy9pkr88.jpg

152064f8-72ef-44ca-b54b-4cf55bf6d2cb_zps

Best of luck.  Respectfully.  Seriously.  I got out of CA back in 1987.  Political refugee then.  There has to be some point where a moral and law abiding citizen must decide to not comply with illegal or unjust laws?  I for one now live in SW OR USA.  Difference is like night and day.  Just saying.  sad.png

Day and Night ... including ...  No state sales tax.  No vehicle smog checks, controls  or local regulations.  None on the fore see able horizon.  No mag cap laws.  NFA stuff legal and good.  Gun mounted nite vision fine.  Tracer and AP ammo fine during wet weather.   County total tax load light. 

ZERO local air pollution except for some idiot wood stove owners.  ZERO.  Fifty mile visibility.  Endless conifer forests.  Only two paved roads South of us for miles and miles and miles.  Thirty five miles from Pacific Ocean.  Varied climate.  Air conditioning not needed.  Just about perfect.

Edited and expanded by idiot HB of CJ so there!  :)

Edited by HB of CJ
  • Like 2

Best of luck.  Respectfully.  Seriously.  I got out of CA back in 1987.  Political refugee then.  There has to be some point where a moral and law abiding citizen must decide to not comply with illegal or unjust laws?  I for one now live in SW OR USA.  Difference is like night and day.  Just saying.  sad.png

Day and Night ... including ...  No state sales tax.  No vehicle smog checks, controls  or local regulations.  None on the fore see able horizon.  No mag cap laws.  NFA stuff legal and good.  Gun mounted nite vision fine.  Tracer and AP ammo fine during wet weather.   County total tax load light. 

ZERO local air pollution except for some idiot wood stove owners.  ZERO.  Fifty mile visibility.  Endless conifer forests.  Only two paved roads South of us for miles and miles and miles.  Thirty five miles from Pacific Ocean.  Varied climate.  Air conditioning not needed.  Just about perfect.

Edited and expanded by idiot HB of CJ so there!  smile.png

Sounds like you are up by Coquille, OR  I own a rental house there.  originally was going to be retirement home, but things changed.

Edited by imarangemaster

Agree! 

Is your location really in Cali? That's got to make business tough. Bless you for not ceding territory to the anti's.

• 2 months later...