Uinta .308 Mags

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Russian 54r

Russian 54r

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:31 PM

Couple of weeks ago I ordered, from their online site, 2 u308 mags for $80.  Seems like they may be out of business cause there phone has been disconnected and they don't answer my four emails.  Does anyone know about them?  Thanks

#2 Netpackrat

Netpackrat

Raw Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:16 AM

No idea but it wouldn't surprise me.  Between the import ban and CSSpecs putting out a superior product, their business has to have dropped off to nothing.  It's too bad because they are decent mags and their improved internals seem to have fixed the feeding problems I had with the original FBMG magazines.

Personally I would try to cancel the order through Paypal and get your money back, then pay a couple bucks more per mag and buy from CSSpecs.

• ChileRelleno likes this

#3 Russian 54r

Russian 54r

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:11 PM

Thanks Netpackrat. I made a complaint thru PayPal this morning. How you know I paid thru PayPal?

#4 Russian 54r

Russian 54r

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:20 PM

Haven't had chance to shoot my converted 308-1 yet but am looking forward to giving it a try. The conversion went well with minimal aggrivation . When you live in the city it's hard to drop everything and drive a thousand miles to go shooting! LoL

#5 Russian 54r

Russian 54r

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 12:16 PM

Finally got hold of Uinta Industries and they are refunding my money.  They are no longer in business and will remove their web site.

#6 csspecs

csspecs

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:32 PM

Finally got hold of Uinta Industries and they are refunding my money.  They are no longer in business and will remove their web site.

I'm rather saddened by that news. I liked the look of their magazines.

• G O B likes this

#7 Netpackrat

Netpackrat

Raw Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:07 AM

Thanks Netpackrat. I made a complaint thru PayPal this morning. How you know I paid thru PayPal?

I looked at their website and that seemed to be how they were accepting payments.

I'm rather saddened by that news. I liked the look of their magazines.

Yeah; they looked good and worked well.  If they'd have had metal reinforcement in the locking lugs and maybe the feed lips, they would have had a phenomenal magazine.  As it was, they were still decent, and way better than the SGM and Promag offerings.  Maybe not something I would trust my life to due to the lack of metal reinforcement, but they are fine range mags.

Edit to add:  I hope the molds have been preserved in case Saigas can ever be imported again.  There's certainly been a lot of drama surrounding this magazine project going back to the beginning.  One of my 5 original FBMG magazines I personally traded James Bunten some AMD-65 furniture he was looking for in exchange for the new mag.  Kind of crappy that he could come up with it since it was at a time when a bunch of people had given him money for magazines that he could not, or would not deliver.

Edited by Netpackrat, 18 August 2016 - 01:21 AM.

#8 headshot

headshot

Sumnabitch

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:13 PM

The FBMG/Uinta mags were the best looking mags ever made for the S308.

Functionally, I didn't like them very much. The wobble around a lot, and the locking lugs on a couple of mine have worn down a lot.

Csspecs mags are heavy, but they are awesome. Solid lock-up, and I have never had any problems with them.

#9 Netpackrat

Netpackrat

Raw Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:59 PM

The wobble isn't really the fault of Uinta/FBMG or the magazines; it is the fault of inconsistent build dimensions at Izhmash. Plenty of people reported tight lockup with their FBMG magazines, others (myself included) had the wobble you speak of. The factory 8 rounder has the same amount of wobble in my rifle, but it's not as obvious because it's a lot shorter than the 20 round mags. I was personally a little annoyed that CSSpecs started making his lugs oversize to mollify whiners on this forum... The initial mags I bought from him fit fine, but subsequent mags I found wouldseem to fit, but came out under recoil. Cost me a wasted range trip and time fitting the mags.

#10 csspecs

csspecs

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

The bulk of Saiga .308 had the looser magazine catches. Only about 20% ran tight, we chose to go with the most common variation. My own rifle is a tighter one and I have to file the magazines or they fall out.

I think it is stupid that the factory making a relatively precision item (firearm) had variations of up to 3/16" on their magazine catches.. I almost think they changed them in an attempt to prevent early after market magazines from working.

#11 Ak Monty

Ak Monty

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:27 PM

I had three of their mags. One of the mags had the feed lips break completely off. Csspec mags on the other had were perfect.

#12 Netpackrat

Netpackrat

Raw Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:10 PM

I almost think they changed them in an attempt to prevent early after market magazines from working.

Except you'd be ascribing to malice, that which can adequately be explained by vodka.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users