Uinta .308 Mags

No idea but it wouldn't surprise me.  Between the import ban and CSSpecs putting out a superior product, their business has to have dropped off to nothing.  It's too bad because they are decent mags and their improved internals seem to have fixed the feeding problems I had with the original FBMG magazines.

Personally I would try to cancel the order through Paypal and get your money back, then pay a couple bucks more per mag and buy from CSSpecs.

• Like 1

Thanks Netpackrat. I made a complaint thru PayPal this morning. How you know I paid thru PayPal?

I looked at their website and that seemed to be how they were accepting payments.

I'm rather saddened by that news. I liked the look of their magazines.

Yeah; they looked good and worked well.  If they'd have had metal reinforcement in the locking lugs and maybe the feed lips, they would have had a phenomenal magazine.  As it was, they were still decent, and way better than the SGM and Promag offerings.  Maybe not something I would trust my life to due to the lack of metal reinforcement, but they are fine range mags.

Edit to add:  I hope the molds have been preserved in case Saigas can ever be imported again.  There's certainly been a lot of drama surrounding this magazine project going back to the beginning.  One of my 5 original FBMG magazines I personally traded James Bunten some AMD-65 furniture he was looking for in exchange for the new mag.  Kind of crappy that he could come up with it since it was at a time when a bunch of people had given him money for magazines that he could not, or would not deliver.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • 1 month later...

The FBMG/Uinta mags were the best looking mags ever made for the S308.

Functionally, I didn't like them very much. The wobble around a lot, and the locking lugs on a couple of mine have worn down a lot.

Csspecs mags are heavy, but they are awesome. Solid lock-up, and I have never had any problems with them.

The wobble isn't really the fault of Uinta/FBMG or the magazines; it is the fault of inconsistent build dimensions at Izhmash. Plenty of people reported tight lockup with their FBMG magazines, others (myself included) had the wobble you speak of. The factory 8 rounder has the same amount of wobble in my rifle, but it's not as obvious because it's a lot shorter than the 20 round mags.

I was personally a little annoyed that CSSpecs started making his lugs oversize to mollify whiners on this forum... The initial mags I bought from him fit fine, but subsequent mags I found wouldseem to fit, but came out under recoil. Cost me a wasted range trip and time fitting the mags.

The bulk of Saiga .308 had the looser magazine catches. Only about 20% ran tight, we chose to go with the most common variation. My own rifle is a tighter one and I have to file the magazines or they fall out.

I think it is stupid that the factory making a relatively precision item (firearm) had variations of up to 3/16" on their magazine catches.. I almost think they changed them in an attempt to prevent early after market magazines from working.