Any future possibility of a smaller drum?

I took the leap and ordered a Vepr 12 shotgun.      Not really a fan of the 25 rd drum, too big for me.    Has anyone heard of anybody planning to make a smaller drum like 13 rds or so?   I have the small drum for the S12 made by promag and I actually like the darn thing.   Have a MD20 but again, too big and bulky for normal use.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah I have a Saiga 20 rd drum and the smaller pro mag S12 drum.  The smaller S12 drum is nice.  It's fun to have a big drum to use for giggles at the range every so often but I find most of the time I don't want all that and use the smaller drum or my stick mags.  Looking forward to getting my V12 soon.  Should be really fun when I 922r the thing and start using the mags above 5 in capacity and can break the weld on the folding stock.  :D

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also I feel the problem with the fever drum is the feed Tower comma the Saiga is simpler because it lacks it obviously... To me the lack of a last-round hold open is also an issue it defeats one of the better selling points of the veaper

I agree, I really like the LRBHO on the vepr.  I am hoping that if and when they come out with a smaller drum that they will come up with a follower that will trigger it.    I take the the big 25 rd drum doesn't trigger the LRBHO?

The 25 round drum doesn't have a follower, per se. It has 3 dummy rounds that keep the rounds running around the "neck" of the drum into the feed tower. When shot empty, the last dummy round sits below the bolt, which prevents it from bieng chambered, and also negates the ability of a follower to hold the bolt open.

Also I feel the problem with the fever drum is the feed Tower comma the Saiga is simpler because it lacks it obviously... To me the lack of a last-round hold open is also an issue it defeats one of the better selling points of the veaper

LRBHO is pretty nice, but once you have straight insert mags, it is a much smaller gain. People seem to use these as a range toy, or as a leg up on a 3gun stage. Either way, the drum serves it's purpose. In 3gun, you prefer to change mags with a round still in chamber to trim a motion. If you are just aerating the berm, then it doesn't matter anyway. 

Would I prefer an LRBHO? Yes. Is it a deal maker/breaker for this drum? No.

• Like 1

Ive noticed that I can put a full mag in my Vepr easily on a closed bolt and have no problem chambering the first round.    My Saiga is hard to lock in a mag on a closed bolt and requires a LOT of force to chamber a round.     

The lack of a LRBHO for a smaller drum would not really be a big deal for me.   

I hope we have enough Veprs imported to make it worthwhile for someone to  make a 10 or 13ish round drum.

LRBHO is pretty nice, but once you have straight insert mags, it is a much smaller gain. People seem to use these as a range toy, or as a leg up on a 3gun stage. Either way, the drum serves it's purpose. In 3gun, you prefer to change mags with a round still in chamber to trim a motion. If you are just aerating the berm, then it doesn't matter anyway. 

Would I prefer an LRBHO? Yes. Is it a deal maker/breaker for this drum? No.

my brain just doesnt count while shooting, suppose i could work on that...

I don't think many have that ability.

The way I see it being used in competition, is for the first or only mag on a big string stage. They do the counting before the shooting starts. i.e. That string will take 22 shots, so I use the 25 round drum, dump it at that piece of cover then the next mag change as I run between the barrel and the plywood. Each string leaves an extra shot or two if they have to pick up a miss.